New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              9       10       end

Photoshop or ACR replacement?

markshelby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
If he's already using DPP, not sure why he isn't already just burning TIFF's from there and editing in whatever Photoshop he owns, as it shouldn't matter, should it?

And hell, if he's using DPP, he can do Canon lens corrections with DLO there and probably get the best result possible...

My impression is that even compressed TIFFs increase the file size from a DNG or RAW considerably, which the OP wishes to avoid.

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Colin F
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
What do you mean by this? You can do as much or as little processing in DPP as you'd like.

The controls are horrible, there's no feeling of fine control, rather coarse, crude & jumpy. It's been a while since I tried it, but if I recall there were things that were missing, I think "Vibrance" was one of them, it just had the less desirable "saturation". I also process in ProPhoto RGB 16 bit (then convert to sRGB later just before saving final JPG) - does DPP do that?

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:39 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

markshelby wrote:
My impression is that even compressed TIFFs increase the file size from a DNG or RAW considerably, which the OP wishes to avoid.

That is why I suggested LR. Unless you need design capabilities or advanced editing LR has everything ACR has and more. OP is familiar with Adobe. It remembers your edits forever so if you need some files a few months later you just export them. No need to even store Jpegs unless you need to for customers. It tool me 2 trials but I warmed up it. However I can see some frustration with DNG.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:59 PM
coreyhkh

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Photoshop can't be beaten, its the gold standard for a reason.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:44 PM
DAphoto77
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I process swim meets in LR. I do not go to PS for this function. I find LR frustrating at times but I can get a couple of hundred meet photos out on the internet to my viewers in a couple of hours. I think the architecture of LR is old and not very user friendly and out of date with a lot of obscure patches. . I think file management can be greatly improved. There are a lot of good things in LR that are not readily evident and I am still learning little things after having used it since it came out. It needs a user driven redesign to be made simpler in function and storage. That said I still use it and am generally comfortable with it. Ergonomics could be greatly improved says someone who spent years in airplanes and who has seen things made highly user friendly in the cockpit.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:59 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

DPP will batch convert CR2 files.

If you don't want to edit in DPP, import your files into a unique folder on your computer. Then, in DPP select all of them, and, go to edit / batch process and convert the entire folder of CR2's to 16 bit TIFF files. CR2 files are compressed tiff files with some additional flags that Photoshop does not read in any event, so you lose nothing by converting to TIFF. They are still basically raw files, so you can manipulate and edit them the same way.

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Colin F
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

scalesusa wrote:
DPP will batch convert CR2 files.

If you don't want to edit in DPP, import your files into a unique folder on your computer. Then, in DPP select all of them, and, go to edit / batch process and convert the entire folder of CR2's to 16 bit TIFF files. CR2 files are compressed tiff files with some additional flags that Photoshop does not read in any event, so you lose nothing by converting to TIFF. They are still basically raw files, so you can manipulate and edit them the same way.

Yes, but you can't then open that TIFF file in ACR can you? If not, then you don't have all that benefit of latitude in adjusting a Raw file in ACR, or am I missing something?

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:14 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Yes, you can open TIFF in ACR. In Bridge, select the files you want to open, and hit CTRL-R. Or File-Open in Camera RAW.

You can even open jpg files in ACR this way.

Mark

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Colin F
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

msalvetti wrote:
Yes, you can open TIFF in ACR. In Bridge, select the files you want to open, and hit CTRL-R. Or File-Open in Camera RAW.

I see that doing this there are significant limitations in ACR like Camera Calibration and White Balance. Good to know though - thanks.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:39 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

jcolwell wrote:
With newer Canon cameras, I open RAW in DPP and 'send' .TIFF to PS CS6. Some day soon, I'll probably get too fed up, and buy into PS CC, but so far, so good.

This ^.

I'm finding some NR if needed in DPP4 before going to cs6 works well with my newer bodies.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:
I see that doing this there are significant limitations in ACR like Camera Calibration and White Balance. Good to know though - thanks.

I don't do this as I have the CC subscription; I use DPP when I want to dig into files particularly with my EOS-M5 and 'kit'-level lenses.

Essentially, you should do your lens corrections, color balance, vignetting, CA correction in DPP, then dump to a TIFF for PS.

Maybe it's cumbersome, but it will work and it is free.

[with respect to your lens variation question, I don't know; however, it can't be worse than what anyone else does!]

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:23 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
with respect to your lens variation question, I don't know; however, it can't be worse than what anyone else does!]

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:11 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
Essentially, you should do your lens corrections, color balance, vignetting, CA correction in DPP, then dump to a TIFF for PS.

Maybe it's cumbersome, but it will work and it is free.

There are multiple aspects of this. Even though DPP is free, this approach relies on PS for editing, which has a cost. So C1 only compared to DPP+PS may both cost less and be less cumbersome.

With CaptureOne (As I could with LR), I rarely open any images at all in PS anymore. My question is how much better the lens correction profiles are in DPP compared to C1. Maybe it is time for me to make a comparison again, it's been a while since the last time.

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:18 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Big disparity will be with Canon lenses versus others when it comes to lens corrections. Photoshop could certainly do what it already does there though.

Also, for the purposes of this thread, we're treating some version of Photoshop as a sunk cost.

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:41 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
Also, for the purposes of this thread, we're treating some version of Photoshop as a sunk cost.

Yeah, Adobe haven't got a penny from me since CS5.1, but it doesn't seem to have hurt their business much

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8938513475/adobe-announces-record-breaking-1-84-billion-in-revenue-for-q3

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:48 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Also, if I haven't been clear:

I'm only advocating for doing as little work in DPP as necessary. That may be variable depending on the type of correction needed, but it shouldn't be much and it should be quick to learn/implement within a workflow.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:48 AM
Sy Sez
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I use Photoshop CS-6/ ACR which still works with my 7D-2, & 6D, but when I upgrade that won't be the case.

I really like ACR, so will probably add either Lightroom, or Elements for ACR; but I intend to continue useing CS-6 + plugins for primary editing.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:29 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Simple solution buy LR standalone. Your done !!

When I have a camera that's not supported with my existing LR copy, I will buy again the next version of LR standalone, a lot cheaper than paying rent every month.

I use it with CS6, and both supports many plugins I have.

Sure CC keeps improving with algorithms for existing tools, but I haven't run into anything I wanted or needed to do with it that I cant.

Edited on Sep 27, 2017 at 03:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Colin F
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

IndyFab wrote:
Simple solution, buy LR standalone. Your done!

Sure CC keeps improving with algorithms for existing tools, but I haven't run into anything I wanted or needed to do with it that I cant.

("You're")

Is the standalone LR being kept up to date for the CR2 files from newer bodies, or has it been left out to dry like the CS6 ACR?

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:16 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:
("You're")

Is the standalone LR being kept up to date for the CR2 files from newer bodies, or has it been left out to dry like the CS6 ACR?

Colin I edited my previous post, it answers your question

I have been able to edit 5Dsr and 5DIv files in my present copy of LR

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password