New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Iíd like to ask about alternatives to Adobe Camera Raw.

So hereís my process and situation:

After using DPP for culling, I use CS6 (ACR) for my Raw processing, then pop into Photoshop for finishing to a master (full size) JPG. I have the NIK suite as a plug-in, and use it quite a bit. Iíve never owned or used Lightroom, so I have no file-investment with that, and Iíd like to avoid Adobeís monthly CC subscription.

Unfortunately, CS6 wonít deal with the Canon 5DIV CR2 files (nor any future new-camera files), so I have to use the Adobe DNG converter. Being reluctant to delete the CR2 files, itís getting a little bulky for storage keeping both the CR2 and DNG Raw files.

In my surfing, Iíve heard about many software options to PS, but havenít really dug into researching whatís what, so hopefully those of you who are familiar with this landscape can help me out. Hereís some names:

Capture One

DXO

Alien Skin

Affinity

Corel Photo Paint *I have this, as I use CorelDraw (X7) a LOT for my business.

Davinci Resolve

Exposure X3

Photo Ninja

ACDSEE

Luminar

ON1 Photo Raw

Raw Therapee

Öand perhaps there are some others.

Because Iím so familiar with Photoshop, I think that what Iíd like is just a replacement for ACR for processing the 5DIVís Raw files, and then shoot them into Photoshop as I do now, but I suspect that that isnít possible, as itís still going to be a newer CR2 file which PS wonít read(?)

I guess that Iím also open to a whole new software that will do it all. Iíve read about the unintuitiveness of Affinity, so not really keen on a super steep, frustrating learning curve.

Cheers

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:01 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I've moved to Capture One Pro. No regrets, wish I had done it earlier. I watched the phase one webinars and got up to speed pretty quickly. YMMV

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:42 PM
Clicky94

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

As you are accustomed to Corel products then I would have thought that Paintshop Pro would be ideal for you, it also enables you to use a lot of the Photoshop plugins.

I have been using Paintshop Pro for years and find Photoshop very unfriendly in comparison.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Here's what I can contribute to your musings:
I also use CS6, to process TIFFs I generate from a raw converter. I've tried On1's raw converter and ACDSee briefly, and wasn't impressed. I have Capture One, but it's not at all intuitive (to me) to figure out how to use it, and I haven't devoted the time so far to really get it. I use DPP to generate TIFFs sometimes, largely because of DLO, but I'm really pleased with DXO, and that's my go-to converter now.

You can certainly generate TIFFs from DPP, and therefore not need to deal with DNGs.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:48 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Lightroom standalone version

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

With newer Canon cameras, I open RAW in DPP and 'send' .TIFF to PS CS6. Some day soon, I'll probably get too fed up, and buy into PS CC, but so far, so good.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:01 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

If you have a lot of flies perhaps you may want to consider LR which you can still get as stand alone. I too use DPP for culling. For hobby shots I convert to DNG and play in PS but for a lot of shots I import into LR. I set up personal Default Settings using LR and they auto apply when I open a file in ACR, even if it is a DNG so that is very convenient.

From LR you can export a file to PS, work on it and it comes back as TIFF (original CR2 is still there) if you need additional editing LR can't provide. I just set it up so the CS2 files do not export, only the TIFFS and usually there aren't very many. There are lots of plugins for LR but I read NIK is no longer around??

Maybe try the LR trail for a month. Warning. Adobe does not make stand aline easy to find. I think I have a link.

I myself have checked out pretty much what you have listed. I was impressed with Capture One but not being a pro just too much for me. I had already invested in CS from CS2. Lots of good feedback about Affinity and I tried the free trial. Just not in the mood to change my workflow and go into another learning curve just yet as I'm not unhappy with PS and LR.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:11 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

jcolwell wrote:
With newer Canon cameras, I open RAW in DPP and 'send' .TIFF to PS CS6. Some day soon, I'll probably get too fed up, and buy into PS CC, but so far, so good.

If he's already using DPP, not sure why he isn't already just burning TIFF's from there and editing in whatever Photoshop he owns, as it shouldn't matter, should it?

And hell, if he's using DPP, he can do Canon lens corrections with DLO there and probably get the best result possible...

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:48 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

While DPP is very good I still prefer Adobe. ACR/LR offers me more. DLO is true deconvolution but you can't set it up as a default to kick in every time. It takes about 7 seconds per file. I have not noticed a big difference with better lenses.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:46 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

An Adobe CC Photography subscription is only $9.99 per month. Or put another way, actually less than or about equal to what it would have cost to keep Photoshop, Bridge, ACR, and Lightroom current with new versions every 18-24 months...

I personally subscribe to both Adobe Creative Cloud and Office 365, and I find value in having these tools always up to date, without having to worry about whether my cameras or operating systems are supported. I also like the freedom I have to install on multiple PCs and tablets, and some of the additional cloud services that now come with them (such as a terabyte of OneDrive storage in the case of Office).

Not saying you are wrong to look for other options, but if you haven't considered a subscription lately, it might be worth a second look.

To your question: I would only ever use DPP in lieu of ACR and Lightroom. You can process your RAWs in DPP, and then export TIFFs to Photoshop if you need to do more editing before processing out to JPEGs.

Many years ago I was a Capture One user, but I don't have any current experience with it, and can't say how if might compare to Adobe's tools today.

Good luck.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I am another who would suggest doing basic post processing in DPP, converting to TIFF or JPEG depending on future use , further PP if needed in PS and then output. I delete the Tiff when all is done leaving the CR2 as an archive and the final JPEG for printing or whatever.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Colin F
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Thanks for the replies so far. I failed to mention that I have tried DPP for Raw processing, and I really don't like it.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:26 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I gave up opn PS years ago. Way too many features to wade through for the few I did use. When I had trouble with reinstalling Elements and they couldn't help I figured the bovine flop lovers had WAY TOO MUCH of my money.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:56 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I failed to mention that I have tried DPP for Raw processing, and I really don't like it.

CO is free to try and is gaining popularity. RT is free. Why not start testing those? What's so very wrong with the DPP?

You did not mention Iridient Developer:

http://www.iridientdigital.com/

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:29 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:

What do you mean by this? You can do as much or as little processing in DPP as you'd like.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:46 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
What do you mean by this? You can do as much or as little processing in DPP as you'd like.

I can't speak for Colin, but I don't like DPP myself precisely because I can NOT do as much processing as I'd like, and I find it more difficult to get to the desired result with the controls.

CaptureOne works better for me, but I can't do as much as I like there either, as it doesn't support NIK plugins.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:52 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
And hell, if he's using DPP, he can do Canon lens corrections with DLO there and probably get the best result possible...

I am curious about DLO, how does it handle lens copy variations, decentering and field curvature?

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:10 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

jcolwell wrote:

hey Jim if you end up getting into PS CC be prepared to cancel your visa to get out..after telling them several times he wanted to cancel his subscription

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

jcolwell wrote:

kmunroe wrote:
hey Jim if you end up getting into PS CC be prepared to cancel your visa to get out..after telling them several times he wanted to cancel his subscription

Hey, Kenny. Thanks for the head's up. I'll use somebody else's card.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:02 AM
malgegg

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I dont blame you its so painfully slow. You spend years learning and these mongrel companys dont support canon, nikon files not happy😠

Colin F wrote:

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password