New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Mt Rainier in late Oct - Early Nov

LSExplorer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mt Rainier in late Oct - Early Nov

Since the Columbia Gorge is burned and closed for maybe at least to the end of the year, we are thinking to alter our trip for about 2-3 days elsewhere. Mt Rainier is one of our options at hands.

Being the first timer (if I make it there), I really don't know what to expect to photograph this time of year (late Oct - early Dec). Paradise area is open year round.

So could anybody here shed some lights on some locations and what to shot at Mt Rainier for the intended dates?

Thanks a lot.

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:03 PM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mt Rainier in late Oct - Early Nov

Yes, the Paradise area is open year around. Bring your snowshoes or skis. Seriously. I think there were five inches of fresh snow there the other day. I'm not trying to ruin your planning, but November is the worst weather month of the year for Western Washington. Storms, high winds, and heavy precipitation are very typical for that time of year. There will be fresh snow in the mountains. And while they try to keep the road to Paradise open year around, in can be closed due to blizzard conditions. Now, if you don't mind storms and (potentially heavy) snow, then Mount Rainier can be beautiful in winter. To be clear, expect winter conditions in November at Mount Rainier.
Keith W.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:43 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mt Rainier in late Oct - Early Nov

Thanks for your clear and useful info. I might reconsider my option there. How about the Olympic NP instead?

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:57 PM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mt Rainier in late Oct - Early Nov

I was considering suggesting Olympic NP. That is a really beautiful park (like Rainier). There are three general areas in that NP - the coast, the rain forest, and the mountains. The mountains there will be similar to Rainier, possibly even rainier/snowier. The coast and rain forest will be more accessible, but with the high precipitation. Generally, the weather comes from the south west in fall/winter in Western Washington. The Olympic peninsula catches most of the storm systems that time of year. There is a "rain shadow" effect from the Olympic peninsula - areas to the immediate north east of the peninsula are often drier (although may still be wet, especially in November). The San Juan islands, north and east of the Olympics, are somewhat drier that time of year, and very beautiful and very photogenic. Another option is to head east of the Cascades Mountains. I like to go the Grand Coulee area that time of year. But that area is very different, climatically, from western Washington. Have you considered Hawaii in November?
Keith W.

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:21 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mt Rainier in late Oct - Early Nov

Thank you Keith again for the much needed info. I wish I could have time to visit Hawaii in Nov. The trip is related to a business event.

I will check out the San Juan Islands to see the possibilities.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password