70-200 f/2.8
135L
200 f/1.8 or f/2.0
15 FE

Canon in Venezia

redhed17

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon in Venezia

First post here, but I have been to Venice a few times so I thought I could chip in. :-)

I've used a 16-85mm, (and on the last trip in April, a 16-80mm) for 98%+ of the pictures I have taken whilst I have visited Venice. That is on a crop sensor camera, so multiply by 1.5. So I would recommend a 24mm-whatever. I have always had a 70-300mm with me on previous trips, and a 10-20mm on the last trip also, but I don't think I used either over the week.

I generally don't take pics inside when I am in Venice, mainly pics on canals and the buildings, and sometimes wider views across the lagoon. If it were only two lenses I would take something wider than 24mm.

If you are going to be out and about early or after dark I would also recommend a tripod. Depends on how serious the photography part of the trip is. ;-)

You can see my Venice pics here if you are interested, almost all taken with a 16-85mm or a 16-80mm lens.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:03 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon in Venezia

redhed17 wrote:
You can see my Venice pics here if you are interested, almost all taken with a 16-85mm or a 16-80mm lens.

Well done, many excellent pictures there, one of them being Squero San Trovaso, which looks like you've shot from a boat. That is one of a number of scenes which I hope to get with the 300 II lens, from the sidewalk across the canal, hoping to catch some traditional crafts in action.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:25 PM
redhed17

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon in Venezia

PetKal wrote:
Well done, many excellent pictures there, one of them being Squero San Trovaso, which looks like you've shot from a boat. That is one of a number of scenes which I hope to get with the 300 II lens, from the sidewalk across the canal, hoping to catch some traditional crafts in action.

Thanks for the kind comments. :-)

The pic of Squero San Trovaso was taken from the pavement next to the canal, and I was at 18mm, so 27mm on FF. A 300mm would be pretty useless for that location imho, and most of Venice. And to shoot from a boat there, or anywhere away from the outer large canals, other than off the back of a Vaporetto, you would be hiring a boat, which becomes extremely expensive. You don't need to though, it is so compact as a city.

I forgot to add, that the camera settings are with each pic on my Venice gallery, and you will see that a lot of them are wide at about 16mm. On a crop sensor.

Oct 02, 2017 at 08:16 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon in Venezia

redhed17 wrote:
First post here, but I have been to Venice a few times so I thought I could chip in. :-)

I've used a 16-85mm, (and on the last trip in April, a 16-80mm) for 98%+ of the pictures I have taken whilst I have visited Venice. That is on a crop sensor camera, so multiply by 1.5. So I would recommend a 24mm-whatever. I have always had a 70-300mm with me on previous trips, and a 10-20mm on the last trip also, but I don't think I used either over the week.

I generally don't take pics inside when I am in
...Show moreI checked out your photos....well done!

Oct 02, 2017 at 08:27 PM
rongoe
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon in Venezia

I went last June to Italy, taking the 16-35 f4, 40 pancake, and 200 f2.8. In Venice I only shot with the 16-35. Its IS was great for indoor shots. No regrets on what I left at home (24-70 among others).

Oct 02, 2017 at 08:57 PM
redhed17

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon in Venezia

Herb wrote:
I checked out your photos....well done!

Thank you Herb. :-)

Without going on about my Venice gallery, not only does it show the camera settings used for each image, but it also shows where I took the pics too.

Google Street View is a very good resource for getting idea of the city at street level. It really is a small and compact city, with some very narrow alleyways and canals. I always say to people, if they have the time, start walking away from the rest of the tourists, and get lost, which you will. ;-) Once you get away from the really busy areas, Piazzale Roma/Train Station, Rialto Bridge, Piazza San Marco and the routes between them, it gets very quiet and calm. Some of the canals are like mirrors because no one has been down it for a few hours. :-) Depends on what kind of pics one wants though.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon in Venezia

Herb wrote:
Good topic! We are going next year.

Herbster, if we bump into each other there, we can leave our wives to do shopping while you and I can hire a boat and go bird shooting in the lagoon marshes. Bring your 500 or 600 though.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:39 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon in Venezia

That's what I plan to do as well. Just get lost during the day and visit the touristy spots early morning or at night to get no people shots lol

I'm literally headed to Venice now on the train from Bologna.

redhed17 wrote:
Thank you Herb. :-)

Without going on about my Venice gallery, not only does it show the camera settings used for each image, but it also shows where I took the pics too.

Google Street View is a very good resource for getting idea of the city at street level. It really is a small and compact city, with some very narrow alleyways and canals. I always say to people, if they have the time, start walking away from the rest of the tourists, and get lost, which you will. ;-) Once you get away from the really busy areas, Piazzale
...Show more

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon in Venezia

when I was there I shot a 16-35 equivalent with IS, indoor and out, a fast 50 equivalent in a small shoulder bag. sometimes wanted a longish zoom/prime, but gave it up in the due to weight and size. a 24-70 with a fast 85/100/135 would be fine too, giving up the wide end for some reach, but still an easy carry.

the crowds i experienced make me think a large, heavy bag would be very frustrating.

venice has it all, tight and expansive spaces, light and dark, people, detail, structure, everything. i agree with the point re choices, something has to give unless you love hauling it all.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon in Venezia

PetKal wrote:
Herbster, if we bump into each other there, we can leave our wives to do shopping while you and I can hire a boat and go bird shooting in the lagoon marshes. Bring your 500 or 600 though.

My wife is not a shopper. She will bring her camera (7DmkII) and her 100-400 lens....

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon in Venezia

Mike Tuomey wrote:
when I was there I shot a 16-35 equivalent with IS, indoor and out, a fast 50 equivalent in a small shoulder bag. sometimes wanted a longish zoom/prime, but gave it up in the due to weight and size. a 24-70 with a fast 85/100/135 would be fine too, giving up the wide end for some reach, but still an easy carry.

the crowds i experienced make me think a large, heavy bag would be very frustrating.

venice has it all, tight and expansive spaces, light and dark, people, detail, structure, everything. i agree with the point re choices, something
...Show more

I would just carry my back pack and put my lens in there I want to use for the day. Does it get heavy? Yes it can but a good backpack (not a camera backpack) will fit properly and work just fine!

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:18 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon in Venezia

Hello
A really good way to get a flavour of Venice is to read a novel by Donna Leon.
One called Aqua Alta might be a good start.
Her writing has a really fine sense of 'place'
MDE

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Chimping
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon in Venezia

I was in Venice in June this year. I brought my 5DsR with the 24-70 f/2.8L II attached and my 1DX2 with the 11-24mm /f4L attached. I found the range between 11-70mm was sufficient for practically all my photo needs there. On occasion it would have been nice to have brought a longer lens, but then I would have had the extra weight, and I was already carrying around heavy equipment.

Scott Kelby has an excellent photo guide to Venice. You can sign up to KelbyOne for a free ten day trial and watch it. It helped me!

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:30 PM
redhed17

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon in Venezia

Herb wrote:
I would just carry my back pack and put my lens in there I want to use for the day. Does it get heavy? Yes it can but a good backpack (not a camera backpack) will fit properly and work just fine!

That's all I do, have all my gear in a backpack while travelling, (and at home) and maybe alter bits and pieces every day if I know I definitely don't need something. I only have a camera and three lenses, but that can be very heavy on long hot summer days.

For me, around this time, and around Easter, are the best times of the year to visit Italy, as it is still quite warm. It is funny though when you are in T-shirt and shorts, and the locals have heavy coats on. Lol I went on a Segway tour in Rome a few years ago and the chap running it was looking at me as if I was mad in T-shirt and shorts, but it was about 20-22 degrees. Lol

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:41 PM
redhed17

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon in Venezia

Ming-Tzu wrote:
That's what I plan to do as well. Just get lost during the day and visit the touristy spots early morning or at night to get no people shots lol

I'm literally headed to Venice now on the train from Bologna.

I envy you Ming, Venice is my favourite place in the world I have been to. It is great turning corners and not knowing what to expect, bridge, square, occasionally a dead end. ;-) Some of it is starting to become familiar, but thankfully I can still get lost. :-)

I always buy a travel pass for the week I am there, it is very expensive, but when you do get lost, and it is extremely easy to do, and you emerge on the wrong side of the city, it is great to jump on a Vaporetto and chill as you go around the city to where you want to be.

I love the Vaporetto's too. There are different types where you can sit at the back, or at the front, or stand looking out the side. Everyone tries to get the good seats, so sometimes it is worth going to the start of a route to try and get the best positions. :-)

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:01 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon in Venezia

I just got back from a few hours of getting lost. It was incredible. Totally true about turning random corners and not really knowing what's there. Love it.

It is kinda cold though. I need to go buy a hoodie tomorrow. All I have are a pair of hiking pants and a windbreaker. My plan is to do more exploring tomorrow during the day and head back out at night to get some night shots. Hopefully, I have the city to myself at that time and I don't get robbed lol

redhed17 wrote:
I envy you Ming, Venice is my favourite place in the world I have been to. It is great turning corners and not knowing what to expect, bridge, square, occasionally a dead end. ;-) Some of it is starting to become familiar, but thankfully I can still get lost. :-)

I always buy a travel pass for the week I am there, it is very expensive, but when you do get lost, and it is extremely easy to do, and you emerge on the wrong side of the city, it is great to jump on a Vaporetto and chill as you
...Show more

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:11 PM
redhed17

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon in Venezia

Ming-Tzu wrote:
I just got back from a few hours of getting lost. It was incredible. Totally true about turning random corners and not really knowing what's there. Love it.

It is kinda cold though. I need to go buy a hoodie tomorrow. All I have are a pair of hiking pants and a windbreaker. My plan is to do more exploring tomorrow during the day and head back out at night to get some night shots. Hopefully, I have the city to myself at that time and I don't get robbed lol

Venice is one of the places where I never feel unsafe. Around 11- midnight the streets become very empty and quiet. Very early in the morning you may see the odd other Photographer about, especially in the St Mark's square area but mostly locals going to work.

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:16 PM
jharter
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon in Venezia

Am an in Venice right now, but use Sony gear. Parts of Venice are very crowded and like most cities you will do a lot of walking and standing. I saw some guys schlepping around RRS 3 series tripods with Arca D4 heads and massive Canon gear - good luck with that. Whatever you bring, bring the lightest and most nimble options. You don't want to be standing in a crowded vaporetto with someone rumaging through your backpack. If you have to take large full frame gear, my two cents is a 16-35 with image stabilization and a 70-200 with image stabilization. If the large zoom is too big, then maybe an 85-135 prime to suit your preferences. Also, take the lightest, smallest tripod and head that will support your gear. If you want to practice portraits you could just sidle up to one of the dozen Chinese weddings occurring on any given day in San Marcos square!

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:28 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon in Venezia

Chimping wrote:
Scott Kelby has an excellent photo guide to Venice.

His photos of Burano hurt my eyes because of overly saturated house colours which are probably brutally intense in reality to start with. I can't tell for sure when was that such house painting trend started, but the town must have decided perhaps in the 80s or 90s to enhance the tourist appeal of the island by turning it into a polychromatic spectacle.

Burano of my youth was almost colourless, faded, old and authentic looking. Alas, I have no pictures of my own from those days.

I think I'll be doing B&W photography in Burano.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon in Venezia

PetKal wrote:
... the town must have decided perhaps in the 80s or 90s to enhance the tourist appeal of the island by turning it into a polychromatic spectacle.

I guess, they set the stage for Newfoundland's super-saturated tourism campaign, over the past ten years, or so.

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:05 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password