24-70 f4 Lis (light)
70-200 f4Lis (light)
50 1.2

I would reduce the number of lenses to three:
16-35 f4 Lis (light)
50 1.2
70-200 f4Lis (light)

PetKal wrote:
For those that have been to Venice (Italy), what was your most used lens there (see the poll list) ?

How many days will you stay in Venice? If it is a 2-3 days trip I would suggest not to bother with a lot of lenses cuz you simply won't have time for that. For a week stay I would take 1-2 lenses more to my selection above.
And how many cameras will you take? If you take 1 body, you should take as less lenses as possible.

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:26 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon in Venezia

I was there in 2015. No Canons, but my most used lenses were 21mm, 35mm, and 50mm (all f/1.4 or f/1.8).

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:08 AM
gt3rs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon in Venezia

dalite wrote:
And you can always crop out the distortions.
gt3rs, the last shot of the canal, undoubtedly exposed over a slow shutter speed renders an unnatural look to the water. Yes, poor light, but that could be fixed in exposure and pp. Nice shot of the interior of the Doge's palace: no Ghost images of moving people.

It is taken in the middle of the day.... and is done for artistic purpose... is a 5 minutes exposure... the same picture with a normal exposure will be full of crap vaporettos and other boats. The Grand Canal is full of traffic.

Here some more examples of this technique (all between 3 to 6 minutes exposure equivalent)

This one is one of the rare moments where you don't have tons of boats on the canal and is a normal exposure:

So no it is not an exposure problem but is done on purpose. If you don't like the effect that is perfectly fine but is not by mistake.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:57 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon in Venezia

AlexDROP wrote:
I would reduce the number of lenses to three:
16-35 f4 Lis (light)
50 1.2
70-200 f4Lis (light)

How many days will you stay in Venice? If it is a 2-3 days trip I would suggest not to bother with a lot of lenses cuz you simply won't have time for that. For a week stay I would take 1-2 lenses more to my selection above.
And how many cameras will you take? If you take 1 body, you should take as less lenses as possible.

Although the primary purpose of our trip is family business and not photography, I see no logistics problem with taking a handful of light lenses: it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. After all, my good laptop is heavier than all smaller lenses I plan to take with me, taken together.

Edited on Sep 27, 2017 at 09:29 AM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:17 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon in Venezia

I am looking forward to visiting Venice in December. So I am reading all this with interest.

Milan, your photos, especially those of 2015, are very good and highly inspiring. They emphasize the need for a tool that tends to be forgotten when discussing lens choices: bring a tripod!

My suggestion would inlcude 4.0 16-35 L IS, 2.8 24-70 and 135 L.

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:26 AM
tsangc
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon in Venezia

gt3rs wrote:
It is taken in the middle of the day.... and is done for artistic purpose... is a 5 minutes exposure... the same picture with a normal exposure will be full of crap vaporettos and other boats. The Grand Canal is full of traffic.

I'm sure this is obvious to everyone else, but this was a pretty novel idea for me. Usually my reasons for a tripod for long exposure would be a) too dark for hand held or b) smoothing out water in a water fall or stream. But removing traffic makes complete sense now.

Thanks for demonstrating this!

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:33 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon in Venezia

Go out to the islands in the lagoon, Murano, Burano, Torcello, the cemetery St Michele and the Lido.
Mostly pretty uncrowded
At this time of the year the evenings and mornings can get really misty and very atmospheric.
Some of the boats work at night, allow you to move around.
Lenses, I would say, 16-35, 24-105 or 28-135 and 100-400. Common sense range
MDE

If you are out at the right time, this is what you might see on a misty night.
Sadly I did not as they had just turned out the lights, so this is my evocation done in Lightroom.
Its on the Guidecca island

From a boat crossing over the Guidecca canal

Diagilev's grave on St Michele, which also has Igor Stravinsky

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon in Venezia

gt3rs wrote:

Here some more examples of this technique (all between 3 to 6 minutes exposure equivalent)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/2017/April/i-BgDZv42/0/be219e23/X2/Untitled-2v2crop-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/2017/April/i-NHcCGsL/0/6807a626/X2/Untitled111111-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/2017/April/i-6RzqSNn/0/92fa3436/X2/Untitled22-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/2017/April/i-px2fN3h/0/ad82f9b4/X2/Untitled5bwcrop-X2.jpg

This one is one of the rare moments where you don't have tons of boats on the canal and is a normal exposure:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/2017/April/i-NGB3Bdw/0/43958fce/X2/IMG_2167-X2.jpg

So no it is not an exposure problem but is done on purpose. If you don't like the effect that is perfectly
...Show more

Sorry to be so dense, but what setup did you have to take a 5 minute exposure during the day?

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:09 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon in Venezia

PetKal wrote:
Although the primary purpose of our trip is family business and not photography, I see no logistics problem with taking a handful of light lenses: it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. After all, my good laptop is heavier than all smaller lenses I plan to take with me, taken together.

That must be Dell Precision with the the IPS screen

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:38 AM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon in Venezia

Herb wrote:
Sorry to be so dense, but what setup did you have to take a 5 minute exposure during the day?

Can speak for him ,but probably a ND filter

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon in Venezia

IndyFab wrote:
That must be Dell Precision with the the IPS screen

15.6" ASUS ROG STRIX with NVIDIA GTX 1070 etc.

Sep 30, 2017 at 08:08 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon in Venezia

IndyFab wrote:
Can speak for him ,but probably a ND filter

I thought about that, but to get a 5 minute exposure? Maybe he stacked a number of ND filters?

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:23 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon in Venezia

I thought about that, but to get a 5 minute exposure? Maybe he stacked a number of ND filters?

There are two techniques for achieving very long exposure.
The first one is to use a super stopper ND (15 stops) + stopping down to F16.
The other one is to use stacking in Photoshop to emulate NDs.
Goggle simulating ND with photoshop to see the many tutorials around

For the day ones I use an 8 stop ND, F16 and stack around 20-30 pictures. The advantage of this technique if some pictures are blurred due to camera movements like vibrations due to wind, people jumping nearby etc... I simple drop those. Plus you can mask out and use a single exposure for areas that you don't need the long exposure blur like building, etc...

For nights I did not use any ND and shoot 30 second exposure at a time ca. 10 pictures stacked.

This one is 1 exposure for a stacked version that I found cool like this without any stacking:

Btw I did not use a tripod but a manfrotto super clamp with a ball head.

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:37 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon in Venezia

I was speaking to a Photo buddy about this, he tells me he can create that in his Sony camera.

He said he learned it from him
He has a few others on the subject, if it's not this exact one.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:24 PM
AlexDROP
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon in Venezia

IndyFab wrote:
I was speaking to a Photo buddy about this, he tells me he can create that in his Sony camera.

He said he learned it from him
He has a few others on the subject, if it's not this exact one.

Using PS you can make LE pictures with any camera and w/o ND filters
Layer -> Smart Objects -> Stack Mode -> Mean

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:44 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon in Venezia

AlexDROP wrote:
Using PS you can make LE pictures with any camera and w/o ND filters
Layer -> Smart Objects -> Stack Mode -> Mean

Thanks Alex, yes I am aware of that, gt3rs did mention that option in his last post, I just added a third option.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:45 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon in Venezia

IndyFab wrote:
Thanks Alex, yes I am aware of that, gt3rs did mention that option in his last post, I just added a third option.

Best is to auto align layers before in case that something as slightly moved.
Doing 3-5 minutes equivalent in daylight without ND you will end up with hundredths of picture and it will take ages in PS.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:51 PM
bhollis
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon in Venezia

EF 24-70 f/2.8L II

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59655908

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:10 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon in Venezia

Well, I shot OM when I went to Venice a many years ago, but I voted for the 24-70/4, because that seemed like the best all around lens. 24-70/2.8 might be good, if you want 2.8 instead of IS, and don't mind the weight.

Second I'd probably want a 16-35 or other uwa, third a 70-200 or simliar. Although I don't seem to use telephoto as much on vacation. If you want to shoot at night, the 50/1.2 or other fast prime might make sense.

Loved Venice, enjoy.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:43 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon in Venezia

I should probably add, the above recommendations are for ff. APS would be completely different, I think

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:57 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password