200 f/1.8 or f/2.0
15 FE

Canon in Venezia

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon in Venezia

Milan Hutera wrote:
Rule number one - forget about wanting to capture "everything".

That is a good point, valid for any photography type. On the net there appears to be millions of very similar shots of the St. Mark's square. Those of us who are a bit more ambitious and experienced with our picture taking need not add a few of our own replicas to that multitude.

Many of us aim for acquiring a special "vision" of unique sights as well as our own interpretations of "standard" sights. Content rich urban environments could be very distracting, and they may dull our photographer's instinct and focus.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon in Venezia

for those that have been there, which would you choose?

11-24 or 16-35?

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon in Venezia

16-35.

I had XF 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS (X-E2, plus EF 70-200/4L IS + 1.4x III (SL1).

Next year, I'll probably go to Portugal with a 2x SL2 setup; EF-S zooms & a few primes.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon in Venezia

I'm thinking it was a Sony.

EBH

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:04 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon in Venezia

Milan Hutera wrote:
For dark interiors of buildings, where nothing moves, an IS is much more valuable than f2.8. And 24-70 is definitely not long enough for stitched photos. A second camera on the shoulder is nothing but a magnet for thieves. Rule number one - forget about wanting to capture "everything".

______
But see gt3rs photos and Scrumhalf's beautiful interior of the Vatican (in the City forum), taken with a Rokinon 12mm/f2.8, non-IS. Granted the Vatican interior is likely better illuminated than what you may find in Venice.

Sep 26, 2017 at 05:11 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon in Venezia

dalite wrote:
______
But see gt3rs photos and Scrumhalf's beautiful interior of the Vatican (in the City forum), taken with a Rokinon 12mm/f2.8, non-IS. Granted the Vatican interior is likely better illuminated than what you may find in Venice.

If you actually looked at my photos from 2015, you'd see that I have been inside Doge's palace, a glass work museum at Murano Island plus a handful of museums that didn't made the final cut. I shot all these with 16-35L II and 24-70L, both f2.8 lenses. I would never go in again without an IS lens. In an ideal world, I'd shot that on a tripod but surprise surprise, they don't allow tripods in any of these places. It's much more useful than a non IS lens. In case of 16-35L IS you lose a stop of light but gain about 3-4 stops for lower ISO settings or more DOF. It's not rocket science...

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:49 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon in Venezia

When I was in Italy (Venice included) in 2013, I had the 16-35 and 70-200 lenses (both f/2.8) on me, but the 14mm also saw surprisingly extensive use. All of this was on a 1D series body though. Now I would've taken the same lenses, except the 16-35 I have now is of the f/4 variety. I fully support Milan: the IS in that lens is king.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:08 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon in Venezia

The poll results are more-or-less as one would expect them given the kind of urban "theatre" Venice represents.

My own Venice lens kit has been tentatively chosen as follows:

35L
24-70 f/4 IS
15 FE
135L
300 II (or 200 f/2)

All of the above lenses except the 300 II are light and smallish, and they are not burdensome for travel. As far as 300 II (or 200 f/2 ) goes, I need to sleep on it some more. The 300 II would allow me to attempt some less common photography types, and that is the appeal of having such lens.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon in Venezia

PetKal wrote:
The poll results are more-or-less as one would expect them given the kind of urban "theatre" Venice represents.

35L
24-70 f/4 IS
15 FE
135L
300 II (or 200 f/2)

All of the above lenses except the 300 II are light and smallish, and they are not burdensome for travel. As far as 300 II (or 200 f/2 ) goes, I need to sleep on it some more. The 300 II would allow me to attempt some less common photography types, and that is the appeal of having such lens.

No need to sleep on 300 or 200 f2. Leave those things at home. Take 70-200 L IS II and be done with it. You will stick out like a sore thumb with the big whites. While there would be some use for 300mm, especially on FF, it's simply not worth lugging that around. And in practice, 200 f2 vs 2.8 nobody will able to tell the difference if you'll use the 70-200 right. Nobody will say "man, if only you took that photo with 200 f2 instead...." It's much smaller and lighter to boot. If you want telephoto, then bring 100-400.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:18 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon in Venezia

Be special. You've got the experience to do it.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon in Venezia

Milan Hutera wrote:
You will stick out like a sore thumb with the big whites.

That is certainly the least of my concerns.
The reason for my hesitation is that lugging 300 II around for a few hours might cause some discomfort, however, with a bit of photography mission pre-planning that issue could be contained well.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:40 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon in Venezia

alundeb wrote:
Be special. You've got the experience to do it.

I hope so, Anders. I will be able to step out of our apartment onto the "fondamenta" below, and right there I should have a target rich environment for the 300 II, both on the canal as well as on the "sidewalks", balconies and such.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:46 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon in Venezia

PetKal wrote:
That is certainly the least of my concerns.
The reason for my hesitation is that lugging 300 II around for a few hours might cause some discomfort, however, with a bit of photography mission pre-planning that issue could be contained well.

Obviously I wasn't going for the "looks" aspect, rather than mugging or other nasty business.

You have to realize times have changed. In 2007, I saw a lot of guys and gals walking around venice with DSLR's and L lenses. So walking around with a large camera wasn't exactly "shocking". In 2015 I don't think I've seen more than a handful of DSLR's, most of them being basic models with kit lenses. It's all smartphones now with biometric locks and the ability to wipe out and disable them remotely via their unique IMEI if they got stolen, so not a lot of reasons to steal even the most expensive ones. Cameras on the other hand... So trust me, you will be sticking out with anything that is white and has a red ring and hood on it. And 300L is ginormous compared to already "big" 70-200. This attracts all sorts of unwanted atention - a chap changing his already absurdly big lens for even larger lens, not paying as much attention to his surroundings....

Another thing you might not realize is, Venice isn't exactly an easy city to navigate through. A lot of times you will wind up in a dead end and will have to go back, unless you want to take a swim in the canal.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon in Venezia

jcolwell wrote:
16-35.

I had XF 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS (X-E2, plus EF 70-200/4L IS + 1.4x III (SL1).

Next year, I'll probably go to Portugal with a 2x SL2 setup; EF-S zooms & a few primes.

any location/region in mind already?
pm if you need some insights and tips

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:34 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon in Venezia

PetKal wrote:

35L
24-70 f/4 IS
15 FE
135L
300 II (or 200 f/2)

PetKal wrote:

35L
24-70 f/4 IS
15 FE
135L
300 II (or 200 f/2)

I would switch the 15 FE for the 16-35.... I have a fisheye and I like it a lot but I have hard time to find good subjects in Venice for a FE. Basically there are walls all over the place and distorted walls imo do not look good. You will miss I wider option than the 24mm

These are all 17mm FF equivalent

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon in Venezia

gt3rs wrote:
I would switch the 15 FE for the 16-35.... I have a fisheye and I like it a lot but I have hard time to find good subjects in Venice for a FE. Basically there are walls all over the place and distorted walls imo do not look good. You will miss I wider option than the 24mm

I do not enjoy distorted FE look on many things either, however, 15 FE is a tiny lens, and there is no problem in tossing it into the bag, and I do have some ideas on what subjects I can possibly deploy it effectively.

I am also not well versed in UWA shooting with anything wider than 24mm, my least used lenses have always been rectilinear 16-35mm zooms, but I understand why people would want to use UWA for confined interiors/exterior architecture/scene shooting.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:16 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon in Venezia

Milan Hutera wrote:
PetKal wrote:

No need to sleep on 300 or 200 f2. Leave those things at home. Take 70-200 L IS II and be done with it.
______
Agree with this. Also, Milan, I agree that, all things considered, IS is better than not having it.Now, if a photographer has the A7RII with IBIS, that's a different story and I'd still go for the f2.8 lens.

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:48 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon in Venezia

Milan Hutera wrote:
______
..especially if you get into a crowded vaporetto

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:51 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon in Venezia

And you can always crop out the distortions.
gt3rs, the last shot of the canal, undoubtedly exposed over a slow shutter speed renders an unnatural look to the water. Yes, poor light, but that could be fixed in exposure and pp. Nice shot of the interior of the Doge's palace: no Ghost images of moving people.

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:55 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon in Venezia

My recommendation
16-35 f4 Lis (light)
24-70 f4 Lis (light)
70-200 f4Lis (light)
50 1.2

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:42 PM
       3       4       5       end