end

Archive 2017 · strobes or flash

clickmepp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · strobes or flash

You can start with,

1. Flashpoint Streaklight 360
2. Flashpoint R2 Pro 2.4GHz Transmitter ( Pre Order )
3. Flashpoint R2 Bridge Receiver
4. Flashpoint eVOLV 200 ( rebranded GODOX AD200 )
5.Get a 28"-36" Octobox, umbrellas and reflector.

Get few 8'-10' Air cushioned light stands, sturdy one and few sand bags..

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:46 AM
jmmaher
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · strobes or flash

The last reply is a nice kit but I might suggest saving a little money. Although I own two 360's I find that the eVOLV 200 is really sufficient for just about anything the 360 will do.

Maybe the following:
Two Flashpoint eVOLV200 or Cheetah Ad200 units - start with one and see how that goes.
One Flashpoint or Cheetah R2 trigger
Stands and light stands as mentioned above. Personally I don't like air cushioned stands but that's a persona; preference. Air cushioning helps you not have a flash slide down the column quickly but also slows you down. I have both and always go for the non air cushioned ones.

So one trigger, one or flashes and stands and octasboxs. A great start.

Oct 08, 2017 at 03:18 PM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · strobes or flash

jmmaher wrote:
So one trigger, one or flashes and stands and octasboxs. A great start.

This ^

Boy! I have enjoyed this topic, I'm like you in a way I want strobes but spending money for something that may or may not help me learn how to use what I have is not a solution either.
Learning more about what I have and being able to do with the flashes that I have is going to make me better in the long run, so that when the day comes that I have the money to get the Strobes I'll be much better able to use them with out having to learn all over again. Plus they are mobile Strobes are less so.

There is some great reading out there that has me thinking that what I have is good enough (two Godox flashes, two softboxes, one reflector, Three stands, a trigger, that's it and they work fine for now. I've been reading online stuff and others do well with only flashes. Here this is some useful information unless you've already read it, he uses only flashes (most of the time) but I'm not so sure of that.

I understand that we want things, thinking that what we have isn't good enough, it's about what we learn that's more important then what we need/want.
All of these folks are giving you great thoughts I'm just giving you another way of thinking.

Have fun! Learn I'll do the same with what I have for now ..... good luck

Lynn

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:03 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · strobes or flash

I'd actually recommend against getting more than one strobe at first.

If you feel like you have to get a strobe (ie not a speedlite) then get one AD200, the s-type bowens bracket, and a convertible umbrella with diffuser like paul c buff's 51" PLM. Save your money and get a collapsible reflector panel, or get a couple pieces of white foamcore if you're doing this inside.

Learn the umbrella as a key - experiment with shoot through, bounce non-diffused, bounce diffused, close and far from the subject, hard vs soft, different angles, and use a reflector for fill. Once you feel like you have that down, get another light. I think that's the best way to learn off-camera light.

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:43 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · strobes or flash

Are the speedlites not providing either the amount of light or the recycling time you require? I bought a speedotron black pack and heads setup before I lreally learned how to light subjects correctly. Then I had a viviparous 285 setup with several units 5 I think plus attachments. I learned manual lighting using it the speedotron produced too much light for me most of the time. I started buying canon speedlites next and have a nice kit of them with pocket wizard ttl 5 flex units for each and a mini ttl1 and ac 1 zonecontroler for each body I have threes and twos for other uses I just wished PC would create a unit for the quadra and newer Elinchrom portable heads and pack setups they are useable using Elinchroms programming and either it’s photoeye or a plus unit. You can control power separately using a Elinchrom trigger or app. I then moved to the afore mentioned Quadras for mor power quicker recycling next will probably be a mono head from Elinchrom

I tried quantum qflash but they didn’t play well with PC ttl units so it was useless to me as it would work in my current setup I could have went with quantum triggers for everything but I had just completed my -work kit and wasn’t going to buy another kit just to incorporate one qflash at the time.

My position is that if it’s a Ettl flash then it must work with the ittl pw units.

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:52 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · strobes or flash

Are the speedlites not providing either the amount of light or the recycling time you require? I bought a speedotron black pack and heads setup before I lreally learned how to light subjects correctly. Then I had a viviparous 285 setup with several units 5 I think plus attachments. I learned manual lighting using it the speedotron produced too much light for me most of the time. I started buying canon speedlites next and have a nice kit of them with pocket wizard ttl 5 flex units for each and a mini ttl1 and ac 1 zonecontroler for each body I have threes and twos for other uses I just wished PC would create a unit for the quadra and newer Elinchrom portable heads and pack setups they are useable using Elinchroms programming and either it’s photoeye or a plus unit. You can control power separately using a Elinchrom trigger or app. I then moved to the afore mentioned Quadras for mor power quicker recycling next will probably be a mono head from Elinchrom

I tried quantum qflash but they didn’t play well with PC ttl units so it was useless to me as it would work in my current setup I could have went with quantum triggers for everything but I had just completed my -work kit and wasn’t going to buy another kit just to incorporate one qflash at the time.

My position is that if it’s a Ettl flash then it must work with the ittl pw units.

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:52 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.