New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

strobes or flash

bluejen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · strobes or flash

I own 2 580ex ii flashes, speedlite transmitter st-e2, a couple umbrellas on a canon 5diii and/or 80D but recently been entertaining the thought of changing to strobes. I'm not familiar with this kind of equipment. Can you give some kind of basis where I need to start? I feel like I'm learning manual mode all over again. any tips, pointers or equipment ideas would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

I do indoor and outdoor photography as well as newborn and children-

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:10 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · strobes or flash

Have a look at the godox AD360 II

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:36 AM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · strobes or flash

Also have a look at Cheetah products ,customer service is amazing.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:59 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · strobes or flash

bluejen wrote:
Can you give some kind of basis where I need to start?

what is important to you? have you considered modifiers?

If you don't need HSS, Paul C Buff (PCB) is an option.

If you don't need modelling lights (e.g., to control pupil diameter indoors, or to pre-visualize the lighting layout before making the image), then Godox etc. is an option (possibly the option due to the breadth of offerings).

If you need to high-volume shooting, back to PCB. Complex, multi-light setups? PCB again.

Etc.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:07 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · strobes or flash

lifthard2001 wrote:
Also have a look at Cheetah products ,customer service is amazing.

Cheetahstand, Adorama's Flashpoint, and gomolight.com all offer the Godox units, only rebranded. Cheetah and Adorama probably have the better after-sale relationships if needed.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:31 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · strobes or flash

I believe that Orlit (which is an Adorama house brand) has some battery strobes coming out that will integrate with the Canon wireless system.

If you're open to a completely new system, it is hard to go wrong with one of the domestic distributors of Godox. Lots of lights on one system of wireless. What do you want to be able to do?

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · strobes or flash

PhotoTeacher wrote:
Cheetah and Adorama probably have the better after-sale relationships if needed.

If you need me for after-sales service, support or general queries: [email protected]

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · strobes or flash

I thought about getting strobes, but I found that I could do 90% of the work with my speedlights and fudge the remainder a little bit with very decent results. I stuck with speedlights and saved my money.

I use Adorama's flashpoint speedlights and their light stands and modifiers. They are really very good.

The only reasons I'd get strobes is if I needed the extra W/s, better-more-powerful HSS, or have a place to plug a strobe into a wall, leave it there, and fire it all day.

BTW Helen is fabulous.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:59 PM
bluejen

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · strobes or flash

can you use strobe and speedlite flashes together in the same shooting session?

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · strobes or flash

bluejen wrote:
can you use strobe and speedlite flashes together in the same shooting session?

Yes, light is light. You do need to check the radio triggering system.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bluejen

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · strobes or flash

indoor photography, weddings and newborn photography is where flashes would be needed. i do a lot of outdoor stuff as well, like I was saying, i don't know much about strobes. i was told it was the "next level" in photography. I have a couple 580ex ii and i was using umbrellas and i just don't feel like it has the look i want. I'm not sure how to upload a picture to visually show what i am talking about. I ended up putting one of the 580ex on manual mode yesterday and the pictures look a bit better but I'm stumped. that was why i was entertaining the idea of switching to strobes

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM
bluejen

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · strobes or flash

i was using the st-e2 transmitter? will this work on both strobes and speedlites

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:16 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · strobes or flash

bluejen wrote:
i was told it was the "next level" in photography.

Light is light.

Studio strobes provide more of it. Possibly with shorter durations, if that matters, or not, if one chooses other strobes. Studio strobes also provide it more frequently, as large batteries and/or wall plugs have enough energy to do so, and some strobes have fans so that they can bang away at full power indefinitely.

One could argue about the distribution of light in a modifier - as strobes potentially better-fill an umbrella or softbox.

Other than that, they aren't "the next level", just more light.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:20 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · strobes or flash

bluejen wrote:
i was using the st-e2 transmitter? will this work on both strobes and speedlites

It will work with Canon's speedlites using the infra-red signaling system and might also work with some of the Chinese systems if they support the Canon IR triggering method, which you'll have to research. Really, you'll be better off transitioning to a radio triggering method that isn't line-of-sight dependent.

One option is to stick with Canon and you can then control your existing 580's over radio if you buy a Phottix Laso TTL receiver ($100) for each flash. You can trigger it with either their own transmitter (~$170), which is a clone of the Canon STE3, or get the actual Canon STE3.

Or, just look totally outside of Canon. Right now probably the best, most comprehensive and feature rich entry-level system is the one from Godox and marketed as Flashpoint by Adorama and under other names from other sources. Here you can get speedlites comparable to those available from Canon, the AD200 strobe which is a step up in power from speedlites but not much larger (and still less expensive than Canon's own 600EX units), or all the way up to ~500Ws with their AD600 battery-powered monolight. They all work together on the same Godox radio triggering system. However, that trigger system is not compatible with Canon's own radio trigger system. If you want more powerful lights that work on Canon's RT radio system, you'll have to look at the Adorama Orlit strobe options.

But given that you're currently not invested in Canon's RT radio triggering system, it would make sense to consider other options.

For your purposes I'd look at the Godox AD200 unit for a couple reasons. It's not much bigger than speedlites but about two stops greater light output. This means you'll get away with using one in a larger light modifier such as a 60" umbrella, or you can dial it down to lower output for much faster flash recycling speed. For example, at 1/4 power it will give you sub 1 second recycle time with similar output to a 580EX at full power, where you'd have to wait 3-5 seconds.

The guy I shoot weddings with bought a couple and it has greatly streamlined his family photos sessions during weddings because recycling time is so much quicker and he can bang off several shots rapidly and move onto the next grouping. Previously with the use of speedlites, even a couple of them in one umbrella and even with external battery packs, there were a lot of situations where he'd shoot too rapidly and get a lot of shots where the speedlites hadn't yet recycled. They're also very useful for reception coverage, again because of their output capability compared to speedlites and their rapid recycling and endurance at lower output settings.

IMO, these would be the logical step for you to get more power than speedlites for a very reasonable amount of money while maintaining a fairly compact kit that won't be a hassle to bring along and set up quickly at weddings.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:36 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · strobes or flash

I think based on your last post regarding how you don't like the "look" of your speedlites, but that shooting in manual seemed to be a bit "better", that you should stick with your speedlites for now and focus more on technique and determine why you need to change things up.

Get a light meter app for your phone (or buy a used sekonic), set your speedlites to manual, and get some friends to volunteer to sit while you experiment with different looks.

Strobes are amazing, and a great solution to specific problems, but you should understand the problem you're trying to solve first and whether it's something that can even be rectified with new gear.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · strobes or flash

kaplah wrote:
One could argue about the distribution of light in a modifier - as strobes potentially better-fill an umbrella or softbox.

THIS. You must go about things differently if you're using speedlights vs strobes. The end result won't have much of a difference though, if you prep and use your lights and modifiers appropriately.

Also consider there are people like Lisa Holloway, who do absolutely jaw dropping world class work with natural light. I wish I could do what she does but I suck real bad.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:50 AM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · strobes or flash

Speedlights are a great source of light, but in a big venue, they just cannot provide enough light, thus the reason to bring in strobes.

You can use speedlights for a lot of shoots, yet you will get nicer light with strobes.

Weddings - I use a speedlight for add fill flash to the eyes and face, prep stuff before the wedding, pix of the boys and girls, up until the bride walks. the available during the wedding, then a strobe or speedlight for formals, then speedlight for Wedding party and B&G. At the reception, a mix of both. speedlights and strobes. The speedlight is going to be softer light and shows the ambiance of the room better. The strobes can either give me tons of light to fill the room, w/o mood OR i can adjust the camera to give me mood lighting, but have it balance out the room and not make it so dark.

For product stuff - a strobe is needed for all day use and well balanced light

headshots - others have found luck in speedlights, i find i need strobes to give me consistant, well balanced light.

If you need help, i am more than willing to offer it, maybe a phone call or two

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:57 PM
bluejen

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · strobes or flash

GODOX AD200 Pocket Flash Light 2.4G TTL 1/8000s + 2900mAh Battery 5600200K【US】for 369.00, is this what i want to get?

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:47 AM
bluejen

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · strobes or flash

GODOX AD200 Pocket Flash Light 2.4G TTL 1/8000s + 2900mAh Battery 5600200K【US】for 369.00, is this what i need to get?

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:50 AM
bluejen

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · strobes or flash

i have the st-e2 that i use on my 5d3, it controls both my off camera 580exii flashes. isn't this what you are talking about as far as remote trigger?

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password