Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

I was over on DPR and there was a guy that posted his photos from a 1DxII while he was tracking a ski jumper. He was complaining and his photos demonstrated that each one was out of focus. His data also showed that he was constantly adjusting the focal length while he was tracking and shooting.

I have never thought to constantly change the focal length while tracking....I have always assumed that the camera needed the constant focal length whatever it was in order to track since something had to be constant, hence it was focal length.

I would appreciate anyone else's comments....perhaps I am all wet, but given that often the camera needed that first shot to get close and the remainder would often be in focus I am looking for comments.

Thank you in advance!

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:22 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Yes, definitely. I shoot a lot of ice hockey with a 7DII and a 70-200, and I definitely zoom during a burst as a player gets closer, and I'm pretty happy with the AF tracking.

I don't go to DPR often, but I was browsing the 1-Series forum and saw that thread you are referring to. He went from 155mm to 110mm with a 70-200 in about a second. I just checked a burst I shot at hockey game with the 7DII, and I was zooming at roughly the same rate and most shots were in focus. But in my case the subject was much closer. That may play a role.

I'm thinking the DPR poster must have some AF settings that are not ideal for what he's shooting.

Mark

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:59 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Some lenses are parfocal so changing focal length shouldn't affect the focus but most are not.

So changing focal length is going to present more of a challenge to the AF system

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:06 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

this was with a 70-200

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:15 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

I haven't had any issues with the 70-200 IS II and 100-400mk2 with the 1DX2. I don't believe the 100-400mk2 is parfocal but the 1DX2 seems to stay locked on just fine.

Had far more troubles with the 7D2 and the 100-400mk2 much to my disappointment.

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:22 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

msalvetti wrote:
Yes, definitely. I shoot a lot of ice hockey with a 7DII and a 70-200, and I definitely zoom during a burst as a player gets closer, and I'm pretty happy with the AF tracking.

I don't go to DPR often, but I was browsing the 1-Series forum and saw that thread you are referring to. He went from 155mm to 110mm with a 70-200 in about a second. I just checked a burst I shot at hockey game with the 7DII, and I was zooming at roughly the same rate and most shots were in focus. But in my case
...Show more

I am guessing that ice hockey isnt going as fast as long jumpers which approach speeds up to 60-70mph....your skaters arent moving that fast....Bobby Hull was timed at just a hair under 30mph. Again zooming while tracking is the problem.....

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:26 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

ggreene wrote:
I haven't had any issues with the 70-200 IS II and 100-400mk2 with the 1DX2. I don't believe the 100-400mk2 is parfocal but the 1DX2 seems to stay locked on just fine.

Had far more troubles with the 7D2 and the 100-400mk2 much to my disappointment.
you have zoomed while tracking? Any targets that were moving as fast as 60mph while you shot in AI-Servo mode basically coming at you?

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:30 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Herb wrote:
I am guessing that ice hockey isnt going as fast as long jumpers which approach speeds up to 60-70mph....

What species of long jumper?

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:23 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Herb wrote:
I am guessing that ice hockey isnt going as fast as long jumpers which approach speeds up to 60-70mph....your skaters arent moving that fast....Bobby Hull was timed at just a hair under 30mph. Again zooming while tracking is the problem.....

I though of that, I was actually surprised when I checked my exif data and saw I roughly zoomed through the same focal length in one second as he did. Skaters are slower, but they were closer, so I think the comparison is relevant. Besides, I was just using a 7DII, the 1DxII should have a much easier time.

We need some motorsport guys to chime in.

Mark

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:39 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

I thought I might try to go to a highway near my house with my 1DxII and 70-200 II and try it and see what I get as the speed most cars are hitting on that is about 55-60mph. My knowledge itch needs a bit time scratch!

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

stanj wrote:
What species of long jumper?

Ski type of long jumpers.........not those that run and take off...these long jumpers have skis on their feet and are going downhill before their gear loses contact with mother earth and they fly!

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:53 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

the 70-200 II is not parfocal according to tests by DPR back in 2010.....

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:55 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

My original 70-200 2.8 is but not the newer ones.

A lack of light will also make the AF system struggle as well as no contrast on the area of subject that he was aiming at.

Very hard to test and reproduce the same conditions

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:19 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Of course I constantly change the zoom on my zoom lenses while tracking the action. I've been doing that since I got my first digital camera in 2005 and started shooting sports or moving objects in general. It works. Of course, if the subject is faster than the camera/lens USM can track, or if sloppy technique is used, or if the lighting is abysmal, or if the camera or lens is out of calibration.

If the user complains about having many oof photos with 1DxII and claims the "zooming" while in AI Servo is the reason, his gross incompetence is most likely the reason. It reminds me of the technique of shooting "manual" I read somewhere many years ago. "Yeah, I shoot in M mode. I cannot trust the camera meter. I use my dials and adjust the settings until the exposure bar hits the middle position...."

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:30 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

I've shot football, baseball, basketball and tennis. I sometimes do a pretty extreme zooming while on AI Servo (using 70-200 f/2.8 lenses on 5D III and now 5D IV bodies). I haven't had any problems like the ski jump images.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Herb wrote:
you have zoomed while tracking? Any targets that were moving as fast as 60mph while you shot in AI-Servo mode basically coming at you?

I zoom while tracking all the time but nothing that fast. I don't do any motor sports or skiing. Probably the fastest athletes I cover are sprinters at around 20-25mph.

As others have said there are a lot of variables that can affect AF tracking. If I was having any issues a trip to Canon Service would be in order so long as I was confident that it was not setting related.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

I zoom as-required for shooting motorcycle racing, while running AI Servo with centre-point AF and central tracking assist (9 points, I think).

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:32 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

jcolwell wrote:
I zoom as-required for shooting motorcycle racing, while running AI Servo with centre-point AF and central tracking assist (9 points, I think).

To make sure I understand, you are zooming at the same time you are firing? High speed shots as you zoom?

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

jcolwell wrote:

Herb wrote:
To make sure I understand, you are zooming at the same time you are firing? High speed shots as you zoom?

Yes. Typically with 70-200/2.8L IS or 100-400L IS (v 1) on 1DIV or 1DX at 10/12 fps. Here's two examples; first, at 340mm, and second at 285mm. Different bikes (in this case), but I would have followed both of them around the turn, and zoom wider as they approached and then passed on my left. Sometimes switching to a second camera with 24-70mm or 24-105mm lens.

jcolwell 2017

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    340mm    f/7.1    1/640s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

jcolwell 2017

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    285mm    f/8.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:56 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Does anyone continually adjust their zoom while in AI Servo?

Herb,

Jim's bikes are a good example of zooming while in AI Servo. I've also done it on the flight line at an Airshow. I started with this group out a 400mm and here is the frame at 210mm.

Matt

Blue Angles

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    210mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password