Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

Does anyone know if the Canon wireless transmitter be able to fire off a Yongnuo YN600-EX-RT? I am considering getting some additional flashes and looking at the Yongnuo's as the Canon Speedlites are expensive. I have the Canon transmitter and one Canon 600EX-RT but would like to add some more flashes. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:29 PM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

The Yongnuo YN-E3-RT is a clone of the Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter and is a fraction of the Canon's price. Therefore if you can't get the Canon to work as you require (I don't know) you might just as well get the YN-E3-RT.

I have two of the Yongnuo transmitters and i use these extensively with my four Canon 600EX RT II guns. They are faultless other than I'd say the battery door is not as sturdy as I'd like it to be and therefore I tape it down when the batteries are in. I see that replacement doors are available for peanuts on Ebay.

I bought the Yongnuo version mainly because it can use a focus assist light if needs be whereas the Canon version does not.

Originally Yongnuo did not have low light focus assist and it was not a firmware fix. However the units manufactured since mid-2016 do offer focus assist. The box has a manufacturing date in the paperwork in the box. I bought both of mine via Amazon so that if the units were too old I would have immediately have returned them to swap out.

I use the Canon 5D-IV and 5DS-R.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

I use two YN-E3-RT with my four Canon 600EX-RT. I prefer the YN over the ST-E3-RT, because the YN has "IR" AF assist and "IR" flash controls, in addition to the RT capability. The ST has only the RT capability. So, as Ashton suggested, you might be better off getting the YN. I keep my ST in my big lens bag, for use with flash on my 500/4L IS, and use the YN remotes for normal stuff.

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

Just in case and I have no personal knowledge of this. I had read several times that the AF assist on the YN was not all that great. Something to do with the alignment.

When I had 3 600RT's and the ST-E3 I would only use the transmitter in the studio. When shooting venues I had a flash on the cam and the other two on stands. This allowed me to still bounce for the main subject exposure in darker places.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:42 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

Jerry, knowing how you want to use the flash, I'm not sure it'd hold up. I'd go with a used 600.. I've seen some on a real estate lighting forum rave about them and then sell them in short order... You get what you pay for.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:47 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

Yes, the YN triggers work fine. They aren't perfect though. I used the YN triggers and flashes mixed with the Canon units for a couple years. They worked fine 98% of the time, but I found that whenever I had trigger (or range) issues of any sort, it was always the YN trigger and never the Canon trigger.

I also found that the YN triggers have a weird battery drain bug and if you leave batteries in the thing for more than two weeks, they simply run dead. You can leave batteries in the Canon unit forever and they're fine.

So no, they're not as good as the Canon triggers, but they work fine on a budget. I just wouldn't recommend them for people who are particularly hard on their gear.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:29 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

I shoot a lot of real estate for myself and other agents (I'm a real estate broker) and the 600s are magic.

Ralph Thompson wrote:
Jerry, knowing how you want to use the flash, I'm not sure it'd hold up. I'd go with a used 600.. I've seen some on a real estate lighting forum rave about them and then sell them in short order... You get what you pay for.

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will the Canon ST-E3-RT work with the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT?

deepbluejh wrote:
... I also found that the YN triggers have a weird battery drain bug and if you leave batteries in the thing for more than two weeks, they simply run dead. You can leave batteries in the Canon unit forever and they're fine.

Same experience, here. I put "no batteries" signs on them, so I won't forget to load up. Same for my remote backup and camera external power kits.

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:38 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.