FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

The Mono Way

tmiller9
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Mono Way

This was one of the more difficult shots I've ever taken - at least from time commitment, complexity, etc. And it was actually Plan "B"...

Taken on my annual pilgrimage to take the kids car up to WSU - I had to stop somewhere (long drive from SoCal) - so I choose Mono Lake - hoping for clouds. None in site - so went with plan B - which was to head back to these sand formations and shoot the Milky Way. Never done a pano of the MW before - so I thought I would give it a shot. For anyone who has ever been to this particular spot - there are quite a few of these formations to choose from. The challenge was to find a structure that would lend itself to a nice pano (this formation is actually in a "horseshoe" formation) - and would line up with the entirety of the MW (thanks PhotoPills!) - once the core was present. This one fit the bill.

The image itself is a stitch of several sets of 6 images - all stitched together and blended. The first set of 6 were shot during the last moments of dusk - with just enough light to provide a bit of detail and depth of field for the sand structure. Other sets were taken - and used as it got darker to aid in blending the stars/MW. The "last" set of 6 to cover the MW - were taken once the core rose above the horizon - not long after the nautical end of the day. All sets (ground & sky) of six were shot with my 15mm Zeiss, Nikon D810A and RRS pano assembly. The camera was mounted in the center of the "horseshoe" opening of the tufa structure - about a foot or so from the "wall" and around 3 inches off the ground. The Tufa itself couldn't be more than 12 - 14 inches tall. Even though the field of view covered 180 degrees - the final stitch gives the impression of a straight - and tall wall. The MW was shot by simply tilting the RRS assembly up a few degrees to make sure I was able to capture the upper most part of the "curvature". Pano's stitched in LR and blended in PS.

I did stick around a few hours to shoot what I thought would be a "perfectly placed" rising moon - but in the end, it did not add much (too much complexity for me - perhaps next time).

Thanks for taking a look - sorry for the lengthy description - CC are always welcome.

Todd

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:23 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Mono Way

Great shot, hard to believe these are only a foot tall. How are they protected? Im wishing there was detail in the very bright area on right, or was it your choice to burn it in? Nice job, beautiful work.

Sep 24, 2017 at 06:21 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Mono Way

DaleBerlin wrote:
Great shot, hard to believe these are only a foot tall. How are they protected? Im wishing there was detail in the very bright area on right, or was it your choice to burn it in? Nice job, beautiful work.

Dale;

Thanks for the input - no I didn't burn that area in - this was pretty much how the ambient light hit it. Having said that - I will take your suggestion (and others that offer it!) into consideration prior to putting the "final" stamp on it.

As for the Tufa's - there are some structures that reach about 2 feet - and they are all out in the open. The good news is this area does not see a lot of traffic - I've been here twice - and no one else around. On this occasion - the parking area near the "popular" tufa spot was full - whereas this area had no one around.

All the best

Todd

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:06 PM
camboman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Mono Way

You certainly nailed the composition!

Well planned and executed, this deserves to be printed big!

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:30 AM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Mono Way

Excellent!
Lonnie

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:15 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Mono Way

Hello Todd, GREAT SHOT!!

I wish you do have some more rooms on all 4 sides, though.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:15 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Mono Way

Beautifully done - definitely a photograph to be proud of

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:31 AM
zurura

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Mono Way

Wonderful shot and looks like you got a good return for the effort that you put in.
Thanks for the detailed description.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:43 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Mono Way

There you go making mountains out of molehills again! And I have to agree with all the above comments. Its hard to imagine needing 6 shots at 15mm - but then its a big galaxy out there! Its a great collage of a shot! Quite an accomplishment!! Dave

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Mono Way

Still never quite have understood how to shoot a pano and then the sky later. You writing down the position of each rotation of the head? Solid result here sir.

aF

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:44 PM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Mono Way

very nice

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Mono Way

Awesome image, Todd. Congrats. Seriously complicated capture/PP... well beyond my skill set.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Mono Way

WOW! AWESOME pano!!!!

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Mono Way

Talk about making mountains from molehills (or micro-tufa). This is beautifully visualized and composed. My only nit is that the night sky and Milky Way feel just a little too bright. Otherwise, this a wonderful interpretation of the place.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Mono Way

Kee - I actually do! I cropped it tighter for this forum (to be honest - more really didn't add much, but will allow me to adjust print size if needed)

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hello Todd, GREAT SHOT!!

I wish you do have some more rooms on all 4 sides, though.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:44 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Mono Way

Dave
I agree - 15mm may not be the "best" choice - but it allows me to shoot from horizon line to straight up - without another layer of stitching. When I get more adventurous, I'll try it with my 35mm.

dbehrens wrote:
There you go making mountains out of molehills again! And I have to agree with all the above comments. Its hard to imagine needing 6 shots at 15mm - but then its a big galaxy out there! Its a great collage of a shot! Quite an accomplishment!! Dave

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:46 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Mono Way

Aaron - No writting down - but I tried to line up the markings as best I could for each "set".

aFeinberg wrote:
Still never quite have understood how to shoot a pano and then the sky later. You writing down the position of each rotation of the head? Solid result here sir.

aF

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:48 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Mono Way

it's a beauty Todd

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:04 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password