New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Tomron 24-70 G2

echelonphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tomron 24-70 G2

Anyone use that new tamron lens yet...save some promising reviews on the net...but looking for someone with personal experience using it at weddings or portraits.

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tomron 24-70 G2

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508167

It seems to be the same optically as the old one.

EBH

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:27 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tomron 24-70 G2

EB-1 wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508167

It seems to be the same optically as the old one.

EBH

Another source, claiming to be a Tamron rep, chimed in on the comments at Lensrentals saying that the design is 'massaged' or some such.

Better coatings, possibly better aspherical processes to reduce bokeh rings if I were to make a guess, on top of better build, auto-focus, vibration compensation, and compatibility with their new USB dock.

At this point we should wait for more definitive information.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tomron 24-70 G2

Manufacturers often make minor improvements, but it should be a good lens to use when f/2.8 and OS are needed. I would not trust a Tamron (or other brand rep) any farther than I could throw them. I had the first version for a few days and returned it.

EBH

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:09 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tomron 24-70 G2

I rented the first version- IQ was excellent for my purposes on my 6D, and VC was effective, but could result in blurred images at high shutter speeds if the shutter fired before it settled, and AF and build quality were good enough.

Main complaint other than a few blurred 1/1000s shots was the zoom turning the wrong way.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:04 AM
Kcct82

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tomron 24-70 G2

I bought this last month mainly to try out the video functions (dual pixel AF and face detection/tracking) of my 5D Mark IV so I've only taken a few dozen still images with it. So far, I'm very happy with this lens. The images are nice at f2.8, and as sharp as it needs to be by f5.6. I think the image quality is as good if not better than most 24-70mm zooms. I own 7 Zeiss prime lenses (ZE and Otus) and use them almost exclusively for photography, so that perhaps says something about the image quality I'm comparing this lens to. I'm not saying the Tamron zoom beats a Zeiss prime, but lower your expectations accordingly and this 24-70 zoom is wonderful. There really isn't much you can't achieve pairing this lens to a nice recent Canon body. A bit of post processing and your image quality is gonna be as good as you can get with any other 24-70 zoom. Build quality seems good and rugged. Image stabilization is very good, handheld 1/15 second shutter speed at 70mm is sharp without even trying. For video stuff, again IS is very good and the AF motor is actually very silent. The internal mic on my 5D Mark IV didn't pick up any AF motor noise which really came as a surprise. I'm pretty confident to say that this lens is great all around and could keep up with most serious usages. For extreme conditions I'd give it a good run before taking it out to the field just in case. Oh, and remember to adjust AF micro adustments, I tested two copies at the store and both needed some adjustments at the 70mm end.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:40 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tomron 24-70 G2

Thanks for the input....I recently tried the 70-200 g2 and found it to be very sharp and accurate AF with a very pleasing quality for portraits....what bothered me are the reversed focus zoom rings...but the lens was more satisfying overall than my canon 70-200 isII. I once had a canon 24-70 2.8 version 2 and it was a dog for some reason....looking for useable options.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:18 AM
cseybert

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tomron 24-70 G2

I owned the first version of this lens and now own the G2 version, I find the G2 version much better across-the-board.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:38 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tomron 24-70 G2

Hm I was never impressed with the first version, so the fact that optically it's not much different doesn't really appeal - especially considering the Canon L 24-70 f2.8 II (and the 24-70 f4 L for that matter) are significantly better

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:57 AM
allanvet

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tomron 24-70 G2

If you look at the Dustin Abbott YouTube comparison video, the new G2 version is much better than the original Tamron 24-70. I encourage all to watch this video before making disparaging comments.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:08 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tomron 24-70 G2

I was interested in this lens as well but Lens Rentals tested the previous one to be quite poor (relative to OEM options), and the new one is apparently very similar optically but I still need to see real tests. The other thing you often have with Tamron is high sample variation, so one guy might love it, the other might be disappointed, and they are both correct based on their sample.

I'm waiting for the actual data (i.e. lens rentals with 10+ samples) to hopefully change my opinion of it.

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:33 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tomron 24-70 G2

Eh, the Tamron is right behind the outgoing Nikon 24-70/2.8G, which is sharper in the center wide-open than the new 24-70/2.8E VR.

But more variation, as you note, of course. Still a solid lens for the purpose overall, and if Tamron has made similar strides toward locking down copy-to-copy variation, the new one could easily rate a little higher, and a little is all it needs to perhaps equal the new Nikon and bump up against the Canon 24-70/2.8L II reference (or Sony's new FE 24-70/2.8 GM).

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:24 AM
cseybert

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tomron 24-70 G2

I agree with johnctharp. I owned the first version and the Canon 24-70 2.8 version 1, I now own the g2 definitely better.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:18 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tomron 24-70 G2

johnctharp wrote:
Eh, the Tamron is right behind the outgoing Nikon 24-70/2.8G, which is sharper in the center wide-open than the new 24-70/2.8E VR.

But more variation, as you note, of course. Still a solid lens for the purpose overall, and if Tamron has made similar strides toward locking down copy-to-copy variation, the new one could easily rate a little higher, and a little is all it needs to perhaps equal the new Nikon and bump up against the Canon 24-70/2.8L II reference (or Sony's new FE 24-70/2.8 GM).

For my usage, I am more concerned about edge-to-edge sharpness as all these lenses are pretty sharp in the center, to the point where I doubt anyone could reliably tell them apart in a blind test. Off center, the Nikon 24-70VR is miles ahead from 50-70mm and at the moment that's the area where the Tamron and newest Canon variants fall apart. The question becomes is that worth $1200 more or not, and for me I would probably pay the extra to get the better build quality, crazy fast AF motor, and the off center performance since I use that range more for general photography than things like portraits. The G2 would have to bring a lot more to the table compared to the original and I am guessing it won't but I would love to be proven wrong.

Hope Roger doesn't mind me linking his graphs:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2015/10/70comp.jpg

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2015/10/50compl.jpg

After paying a Canadian price for the D850 though, it might be a while before I can buy anything else

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tomron 24-70 G2

This is kind of why I wish Roger would share data for landscape apertures, i.e. f/8 or f/11, or even f/5.6 (which isn't diffraction limited at <50MP).

We know that the chart will be 'better', but a comparison of MTF and field curvature might be enlightening for multi-purpose lenses like fast standard zooms.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.