New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

MedicineMan404
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

farfisa wrote:
I think this is a really interesting camera as well!

With the updated AF from the RX100V, this is definitely a camera worth considering over buying a couple of zooms, especially for those who don't use zooms often.

I had the RX100V and was really impressed with the AF and the IQ at the wide end, but I didn't feel that the lens held up its end through the range. The RX10IV seems to have a stronger optic, and now finally has the guts of the little sibling!

Seems my current motto is, the best camera is two cameras, because I keep buying
...Show more

and those two do what you want them to do!

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:21 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Well I'm happy so many have joined in.....for a while I thought FM might be too full of FF sensor snobs
I've been shooting a9 for couple of months now and a7rii for almost two years but I'm honestly more excited about this bridge then the others.
Maybe its about doing more with less? I don't plan on shedding any Sony kit...each has its place, but the amazement that I feel with this much reach/tech/frame rate/video/ etc.etc.etc. is just tingling!

I've got an FZ1000 sitting idle a couple of feet from met. It is a great machine too. To bad when removing a flash from the hotshoe I semi-pulled off the eyecup piece which is evidently very expensive to replace....still even with the FZ I wanted more reach and tracking.

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:27 AM
traveler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Yeah I too hadn't been posting much here as back when I had all the top Nikon bodies and lenses, or moved into everything from a A77MkII through a Fuji X-T2, I felt this forum location certainly tends to cater to the camera body/separate lens crowds. Their attitude hasn't typically been very good towards those not as interested in those anymore. I certainly am not. I'm rather addicted to no longer having to switch lenses. And I can say that in time one adapts their methods of shooting to accommodate a superb result. I certainly don't see moving back in that direction again. Unless a winning lotto ticket comes my way and I have nothing better to do with the $$ in my retirement. So far that ain't happening.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:45 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Money aside (and I too am nearing the age where I need to have a plan for retirement) weight is just a huge issue.
Simplicity, decision making, luggage lugging all to be improved.

Here's an example. A younger friend is planning his 1st trip to Alaska and asked for photographic advice=what gear.
I brought in an a6500 + PZ1800 and showed it to him saying don't be a slave to the gear, enjoy the moments of the trip without a maniacal determination to capture every scene, further that when all I took was the Nex-7 and the original 18-200 it was the most fun trip wed make to that state.

He then asked if he should be looking at the above combo of a6500 and 18-200 zoom.
I suggested he wait until October 19th or 20th then showed him the press release for the 10iv.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:40 AM
lightskyland
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I have the M3 and I will be buying the M4 at some point. It is the camera I grab when I want a very competent camera / lens with me but I'm not out specifically for photography. The M4 should be even better when the subject is moving.

I'd buy it sooner but the M3 does almost everything I need it to do already and I've got other E-Mount purchases to make that are in front of this.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:44 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I just watched Doug and Gordon's review-

After watching I unloaded my every day carry sling bag-
the Patagonia Atomic Sling-
http://www.patagonia.com/product/atom-sling-bag-8-liters/48261.html?dwvar_48261_color=BCW&cgid=root#q=sling%2Bbag&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=text+ad&utm_campaign=Brand+Plus&utm_term=patagonia+sling+bag&gclid=CjwKCAjwu7LOBRBZEiwAQtfbGCkP9Tu4ZKchDmlz-iY2goqufVp0XWlwiHPYGOxheypRXrovfOeRQhoC9KsQAvD_BwE&start=1

The I put the Lumix FZ1000 in to check for fit.
The RX10iv should have no problem with room to spare...most likely the RX100v will sit besides
it's younger brother.

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:02 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I'm looking at this camera for BIF and active bird filming.

It will be interesting to mount three of these atop a rail on a fluid head - the left one at 24 mm or so, the right one at 200 -300 mm, and the center body (whose EVF I'd track the subject with) at 600 mm. I can generate three view points (from environmental to close up) of the action at the same time, and that opens up a lot of editing possibilities.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Liquidstone=brilliant use of the technology!

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:11 AM
mikesul
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Although I suspect that he RX10ii will continue to be able to do most of what the RX10iv does those little extra bits from the A9 won me over. I use the gps all the time on the A9 and really miss it on the older cameras which do not have it. Adding a gpx track later is not the same.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:28 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Mike, so gps works same on the 10iv as the a9? I think they do, bluetoothing to the phone for constant updates/tagging of location.
Personally I never use GPS or touch screen, or for that matter video....but with the 10iv I think I'll actually give video a go. I shoot video on the drone and with the RX100v but never seriously. I'd think the real videographers will snatch this body up.
I will say on our last trip, video saved me. We were about 10 crow-fly miles north of RMNP watching two bull moose clash antlers. I was shooting video and later wanted an image. So I harvested an image out of video that pleases me.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikesul
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Yes, it is the same as on the A6500 which I think was the first Sony camera to have this. It is smooth and automatic once set up. I do a lot of back country hiking (or, in truth, I used to and hope to continue) where it is really handy to be able to plot a photo to an exact spot on a map and compare to others in same area. I tend to take a lot of photos of rock art sites in Arizona and Utah so this has special value for me. I wish it had been available to me 10 years ago when I was out more (a couple dozen trips a year vs now 4-5 times a year and less venturesome) . If i just took pictures of scenery or cities it would matter less to me. I have enjoyed your work with wildlife. it really shows off the quality of our equipment.

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:02 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Mike thank you so much.
On our most recent trip, i.e. 12 days ago, we ventured to the McKee Springs Petroglyph site.
The better-half absolutely loves glyphs now! Shame the closest to use are so very far away but she's considering a future trip just to hunt petroglyphs=a great thing.

Sep 30, 2017 at 06:20 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Liquidstone wrote:
I'm looking at this camera for BIF and active bird filming.

It will be interesting to mount three of these atop a rail on a fluid head - the left one at 24 mm or so, the right one at 200 -300 mm, and the center body (whose EVF I'd track the subject with) at 600 mm. I can generate three view points (from environmental to close up) of the action at the same time, and that opens up a lot of editing possibilities.

______
Maybe with a remote that can trigger all three at the same time?

Sep 30, 2017 at 06:58 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I'm probably the only person that would prefer an updated RX10 2 with the 24-200 lens vs. the 24-600 FF equivalent. That's a great range for me and the size is so much smaller.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#623,672,ha,l

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:49 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Really no so much larger for the extra 400mm. When si first got the RaxMKIII I assumed that I wouldn't the 600mm end much. Not so! The combination of small, handheld and fast 600mm is unique. I find myself using the 600mm end a lot. Try one!

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:00 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

When collapsed is the 24-200 that much smaller?
http://j.mp/2xJCn5n

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:08 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I'll try to post size comparisons in a new post.

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:14 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Jeff here you go-
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1510915/0#lastmessage

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:33 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

dalite wrote:
______
Maybe with a remote that can trigger all three at the same time?

Yes, ideally. I can also manually start recording on the two outer cameras before taking control of the main camera at the center. There will be some waste footage at the start of filming, but storage is cheap anyway. Tapping the tripod with a metallic object early on would allow synching of the audio in PP. I hope the tracking AF will be good enough to follow BIFs.

Sep 30, 2017 at 09:10 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Liquidstone, I think the AF/AF-tracking will be almost as good as an a9 (there will be some minute amount of EVF lag, so BIF tracking will be certain---based on the review Cameralabs did. The real question is will the sensor resolution ~1 inch~ be enough? I realize the sensor is connected to a lens optimized for it and truly is F4 in relationship to the lens length, the exit pupil size, etc....that's a good thing. I'm not concerned with the equivalent DOF of 10+.
Here is one in a series of BIF Gordon did in his mini-review-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cameralabs/37040754762/in/dateposted/
The whole series looks to me like AF-tracking works a charm, however will you, me, others be satisfied with the feather detail?
When I look at that image and the others in the sequence I see sharp shots, sharp eye, just little feather detail.
I just think we need temper expectations, well those who'd think they're going to get performance/IQ/detail/etc. of cameras/lenses costing thousands more.

Oct 01, 2017 at 12:08 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password