New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              13       14       end

Archive 2017 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

MedicineMan404
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

It would appear that most at FM like bigger cameras and a bridge wouldn't be the first choice?
I remember grabbing hummingbirds in flight with the little RX100v and I love everything about the
RX10ii except focal length, AF/AF-tracking and buffer but the weather sealing was really good. How do I know?
Well the RX10ii road on the top of my kayak deck ready for whatever on many many trips.

Here's a composite with the RX100v, 3 shots from 20 grabbed of a hummingbird in Panama-

Proof of concept RX100 v composite by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

And here is a shot via the RX10ii, me holding the camera in one hand, the other sculling the paddling trying to keep near the target in a 3 knot stream on the Roanoke River-

Broadside Water Serpent by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

The serpent even allowed a portrait, again in moving water-

From the Branches by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

So I always wondered when Sony would put the supreme sensor of the RX100v into an RX10 series camera. Now they've done it woot!!
And along with the AF/AF-tracking image stabilization too

So am I the only one interested in this camera? I'm so interested I've pre-ordered. It's nice having an a7Rii and a9 but somethings a bridge is just the ticket for the day.

My only disappointment is the lack of a second card slot....the RX10 series def. has room for one. Why? Well last
week out west using my a9 a Lexa 2000x 128gb UHS-II card failed=would not read or write and could not be formatted on three different computers....so SD card failure does happen.

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:47 PM
saxguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I had the RX10 iii and the RX100 v, both of which I just sold. I'm going to travel with the RX1R ii (or Leica Q if I can ever make up my mind) and the RX10 iv. I loved the iii, but for fast subjects at zoom it just wasn't up to task. I know the image quality won't be as good as the RX1R ii, but for the times I need a long zoom it will serve it's purpose. I think it's a pretty good travelling pair.

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:56 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Saxguy that sounds like a powerful combo!

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:15 PM
traveler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I've owned a A7RII and X-T2 with their top glass along the way. A trip with only the RX10MkIII to Zion National park and Southern Utah last summer convinced me that while most will religiously support the superiority of the larger sensors and lenses all day long, having been there and done that with most pro bodies and lenses since the late 90's, I learned that for all my uses (landscapes, occasional portrait and event shoots) the RX10MkIII met all my needs in prints right up to my maximum of 22x17. I sold off all my other gear and have been running with a MkIII ever since. A little over a week ago I sold my MkIII to pay for the MkIV which I got on the #1 slot for preorders with 2 vendors just in case. I have NO doubt with the upped focus capabilities I'll be more than just thrilled with the MkIV. Be it snobbery or shear extreme requirements of the gear, most on this forum don't even communicate with those using anything less than their precious high end cameras and separate lenses. I've gotten used to that....just the way it tends to be. I wish them all well. In the mean time I don't have to bother ever changing a lens to get the results I'm getting. It has changed my life from the photographic perspective. Once you truly learn a tool and how to manipulate what you need out of it it's no longer a challenge or issue. Many just think it's easier to slap on another lens to get what they think they are shooting for. Whatever floats their boat. Just glad I'm out of that realm.

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:00 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Taveler, a brilliant summation and so well put.
I've recently shed a lot of 'heavies' and no regrets....as you said 'having been there and done that'; yet some would look at my FF Sony bodies and say I'm still in the realm. I feel we both have something in common regardless---a sincere unconcern of what others think!
Well congrats on your pre-order. I have no idea where I am in the 'q' but will certainly look forward to reports from you and hopefully others.

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:31 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

All I care about anymore these days is "results". If it delivers it's good to me. Hey, what the heck kind of snake is that? I figured it to be a constrictor type but that face is quite confusing.

Sep 23, 2017 at 09:40 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Traveler the serpent was a innocent water snake, 5 feet of innocence
Most likely a banded brown water snake-
https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nertax.htm
Harmless but none of the other paddlers that day felt like helping stabilize my kayak while I got the shots! Its triangular shaped head gets many wrongly killed.
But the portrait shows just how close you can get to an object with the RX10 series. MFD of this new model is 1.97 inches and that is significant. I think when I shot the portrait above I had the camera within 8-10 inches of his head.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:06 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I'm tempted, but will wait until next year. Probably pick up a used one before spring.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:14 PM
balga
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Interesting camera indeed.
But having an A7s+24-240 the af and zoom range alone won't be enough to make the RX my main travel camera.
I am considering to buy it for when I go to car races with my three very young sons, although I'm still torn whether a 100-400 wouldn't be a better long term investment.

For sure not pre-ordering, want to see some real world reviews first..

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:59 PM
PhilthePhrame
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I'm certainly tempted by the RX10M4 .

I take a lot of shots in a local park with great birdlife, often while on a casual walk. . I don't shoot Birds in Flight, but mainly those in the trees and in daylight.

The RX10 seems a lot more attactive for walking than the A7r2 with the Sigma 150-600, although the real competition is probably the a6300 with the 70-300, which is my favourite walking camera at this time.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:34 PM
kimknapp
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I'll be in. My wife uses our current RX10iii, and I borrow it often!

Kim

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:54 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Good for you Kim. I guess that means you pre-ordered.
Looks like we'll have several to contribute images

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:07 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I have preordered. My MKIII was/is so amazing that I will exchange it for the MKIV. Important to me is the new BBAF (now set in all my cameras) and better AF as well as faster fps. There are shots that you can get that, apparently, no other camera can do (EX: High fps at 600mmm handheld).

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

SoundHound congrat's on the RX10iv.

For the size/weight/ratio the one that comes close is the Oly M1ii + 300/4. My better-half enjoys that combo and gets great results.
So I wonder how the 1 inch sensor in the RX10iv will compare with the M1ii's sensor?
In less than a month she and I can contrast/compare them side by side just for fun.
I know her Oly 300/4 is an outstanding lens but hey it can't zoom and I still get shots with
my Pan-Leica 100-400 because I can find them quicker then close the range on the critter.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:58 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

FWIW, DXO gives the sensor in the RX10iii a score of 70 and the OMD Mark ii a score of 73.

Color depth and DR are almost the same, but the OMD has the edge in higher ISO performance. I interpret that to mean the sensors are pretty close at low ISO's.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Cybershot-DSC-RX10-III-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Mark-II___1084_1006

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:56 PM
takomaru
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I read this, quite interesting in your observations; the report is from the 2 year old OM-D E-M5 Mark Ii, not nearly close to the 1 MII

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:26 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Jeff I consider the Sony performing beyond expectations considering 1 inch sensor size compared to an mFT sensor size based on what you just reported (70 vs 73).
Though I'd never want to push the 1 incher in ISO I have shot up to 6400 with the Oly M1ii...again your numbers reported from DXO tell me that 6400 might work in a pinch with the RX10iv. Me extrapolating a lot here I know

The Oly M1ii + PL100400 has been my daily carry everyday everywhere for quite some time now. I guess I'm looking forward to a change. I think with the Oly I've taken off the PL 1 time in 4 months so the fixed lens of the RX10 will feel normal.

Ultimately what sold me on the RX10iv was the image quality I see in the RX100v......now my question is how similar are those two sensors other than being the same size ? When I look at specs of the RX100v and RX10iv all I see is 1 inch CMOS.

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:34 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

The RX100 MKV's sensor is designed for the 24 fps frame rate (4 fps faster than my A9). So it is Sony's first camera to use fast readout sensor design (later adapter to the FF A9 sensor).

I have the MKV but use it seldom except for trips. However, the MKV does has the advantage on the RX10 MKIII/IV for the wide end of its zoom being a faster lens. The little bit I shot the MKV at 24 fps was daunting since the controls are so small.

I am hoping that the RX10 MKIV has a 10 fps position since I seldom require 24 fps for that camera. However, for my low light dance action I, routinely, use my A9 bodies for 20 fps bursts. This results in 2500/3000 images for a single Flamenco performance.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:09 AM
farfisa
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

I think this is a really interesting camera as well!

With the updated AF from the RX100V, this is definitely a camera worth considering over buying a couple of zooms, especially for those who don't use zooms often.

I had the RX100V and was really impressed with the AF and the IQ at the wide end, but I didn't feel that the lens held up its end through the range. The RX10IV seems to have a stronger optic, and now finally has the guts of the little sibling!

Seems my current motto is, the best camera is two cameras, because I keep buying cameras with fixed lenses...

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:54 PM
stflbn
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RX10 mk IV Who's in ???

Was off work getting flooring installed the day PreOrders started, so mine was ordered minutes after first available. Having it overnighted to use along with rx100v at a 3 day event shooting both stills and video.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.