Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

mbphoto_2.8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

Hey

Using a D810 with most recent firmware and any lens (either 24/1.8G or Tamron 15-30/2.8) the exposure preview (activated when pressing "ok") doesn't work.

Shooting in "A" mode, I have to shade the screen to be able to see my composition, but the final image (of a canyon in broad daylight) turns out blindingly bright (as in "correctly exposed")

Is there a setting I missed, is the camera defective, or is that Nikons way of telling their users to not use live view at all?

Because the Canon does it, the Fuji does it and every other camera I've used before did it too.

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:57 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

In my experience, most of my technical problems end up being user error, and doing some testing in a more controlled environment help me determine if I really have a problem.

I would suggest you do a test in a place without glaring sun so you can see the screen well and see if it changes when you press ok.

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:40 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

Sitting in the Living room right now and can't see the slightest difference (apart from an EV scale at the right side of the frame) on the screen when hitting the "ok" button.

Opening the aperture renders the preview brighter (both with and without that ev scale visible) but it gets brighter still when I push AF-ON to focus, even though I'm wide open already.

I also looked into the lens and the aperture doesn't change (when set to wide open), so the camera clearly COULD show a brighter preview if it wanted to.
Stopping down darkens the preview considerably, even though the final image will be the same exposure as if I shot wide open.

This is really frustrating!

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:57 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

Found the culprit...

After performing a factory reset (two green buttons) and reconfiguring all the settings, the live view screen was still very dark and I was about to give up on the whole thing, when I decided to try out all kinds of buttons and ended up on "i".
There it was, a menu point that was NOT there before I performed the reset, monitor brightness in live-view. It was set to -3...

I thought I had gone crazy, because I've read about this setting last night and it wasn't there on my D810 when I opened the i-menu in live view. I waved this off as an error in the interwebs and didn't think it could have something to do with my camera.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
I wonder, what other settings were unearthed with the resetm..

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

Glad you found the issue. We will never know, but I bet it was there the whole time and you just missed it. Either that, or your camera is haunted.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:56 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

How can you miss one menu option among 6?

Since I "knew where to look", I did go through all these 5 options last night and also out in the field.

While I do agree that some menu options are "hidden" and hard to find, this one definitely isn't. It even has the right symbol.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:43 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D810 exposure preview in Live View not working..

Ok, so then your camera is haunted. Boo. At least it is working well now. That is what matters.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password