New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

ATX353
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

Has anyone used RRS' center columns? I know a center column is generally frowned upon, but I'm wondering if anyone who's had experience with RRS' may have some input. This isn't something I would use all the time; it just seems convenient if one needed a quick extra few inches.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

I have on the TQC14 and my TVC24

I don't frown on them as they are built like the rest of the tripod. they are ridged, structurally sound and highly usable.

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:14 AM
ATX353
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

@sjms, thanks for your feedback!

Sep 23, 2017 at 09:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

The 3 series (TVC-33 or TVC-34) is not exactly short and RRS makes the TVC-34L for those well over 6 feet. I use a center column for the adjustment ability in tight quarters or for certain macro work.

EBH

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

I have no issues with a well-designed center-column either. I can't comment specifically on the RRS columns, but I really like Gitzo's center-columns for the Systematic line of tripods. The tripods top-plate is incorporated into the center-column assembly, making it a 1-piece rigid design. With the 5-series center-column, Gitzo claims that the assembly is completely stable, even at full extension. I'm thinking of ordering one for my GT-5532s 5-series Systematic, despite the fact that I'd seldom need it, but,,,, when you absolutely need it, it's "there".

The only concern I have, is the need for a new leveling base. I generally use Gitzo's GSLVLS leveling base, with the 75mm half-bowl adapter,,,, and you can't use that type of leveling base with the center-column. I'd need a flat-mount leveling base mounted on the center-columns' top-plate.(AcraTech 1117 for example). The same would apply to your RRS if you're using their half-bowl and leveling base.

https://cdn.manfrotto.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/u/u/uuid-1800px-inriverimage_402568.jpg

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

I think it would be a truly rare moment where you need both the leveling setup and the center post at the same time. it can be done on the TVC24 but I wouldn't

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

sjms wrote:
I think it would be a truly rare moment where you need both the leveling setup and the center post at the same time. it can be done on the TVC24 but I wouldn't

How about videos, and pano shots?

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

I haven't had a need for the cp shooting with a cinema/vid camera

Shooting a pano can be done but as you extend it becomes more awkward and problematic.

I also still own an old sachtler which weighs more than my car😁
Spring loaded cp, leveling with fluid head

Multiple tools for multiple jobs

Edited on Sep 24, 2017 at 07:45 AM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

Of course, its' not only with video's and pano's;,, when it boils down to "you need the height to get a specific shot", you either do it, or you forget about the shot.

Two of my Systematics measure roughly 54" tall. (GT-5532s and GT-4452TS) Add the leveling base and ball-head, and my D810's viewfinder is eye-level,,,,perfect for me,,,,when I'm standing on level ground.(I'm 5'10") Throw a slope/uneven ground into the equation however, with me standing on the high-ground side, and there'll be times I most definitely would appreciate a few inches of center-column,,, especially the way the Gitzo Systematic columns are built, with the lock-collar assembly permanently attached to the top-plate. I'm not certain what the tube diameter is on the 5-series column, but if it's the same as the top leg-section on the 5-series tripod, it's 1.62" if I remember correctly, and the payload is 88 lbs..

What it boils down to I think, is that a lot of these center-column 'issues' are overblown and generalized, with smaller/lighter-duty assemblies in mind.. It believe it depends on the build design-quality and strength of the individual column assembly concerned.

As for leveling bases,I can't imagine not using one ,,, or at the very least, having it handy,,,unless I'm on a level surface and using Live-View.That's a personal choice of course. Because of the somewhat limited height of my tripods,,, I need the extra 1.5-1.7" of height that the leveling base gives me, in order to get my viewfinders to eye-level. My back is shot, and shooting stooped-over is a real no-no. Now mind you,,,if I were to add a 5-series center-column to my GT-5532s, with no leveling base,,,,that center-column assembly alone, even with the column fully down, adds several inches of height. In that sense, I don't even need to raise the column, to get a height benefit.
Additionally, that center column has a hook, while the GSLVLS leveling base does not, and I believe the RRS bowl-mounted leveling base doesn't either.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

center posts- if you "need it" you'll use it.

hooks on leveling bases for RRS- if you want the hook its available.

RRS center posts- they are Al alloy instead of CF. the TVC-3x and TVC-4x share many components

Sep 24, 2017 at 06:35 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

I use one on my TVC-34. I switch between the leveling base and the center column depending on what I'm using the tripod for. Landscapes use the leveling base and PG-02 gimbal head, while studio and portraits stuff use the center column. I find the center column useful to put the camera at a certain height very quickly instead of fiddling around with the 3 leg locks.

The tightening collar of the column is also not like, say a Gitzo: it has a double-wave kind of feel like there's some kind of internal cam you have to overcome to get it to unlock, so you turn the collar initially to make it go loose but the column isn't moving yet, then the collar tightens again as you continue to turn it, and then loosens again. The 2nd loose is when the column can actually be moved. The Gitzo feels just like threads being screwed down.

The only problem I've had with the center column is that it seized up on me once in the tightened position, and I had to send it in to be fixed. RRS turned it around pretty quickly and free of charge, so it was mainly an inconvenience.

I agree that it's too bad the center column can't be leveled as well, as that's often useful for video. You can use their universal leveling base if that's important.

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:39 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

Andre Y wrote:
I use one on my TVC-34. I switch between the leveling base and the center column depending on what I'm using the tripod for. Landscapes use the leveling base and PG-02 gimbal head, while studio and portraits stuff use the center column. I find the center column useful to put the camera at a certain height very quickly instead of fiddling around with the 3 leg locks.

The tightening collar of the column is also not like, say a Gitzo: it has a double-wave kind of feel like there's some kind of internal cam you have to overcome to get
...Show more

I like that RRS Universal leveling base. I guess the AcraTech 1117 is a decent yet compact/light-weight unit as well. I'd be happy with either one when used with a column. FLM has one as well, and it's not expensive. ($115.??)

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS Center Column, Series 3 Quick Column

well if you really wanted you can put the universal leveling base on the centerpost of the TVC-3x tripod

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.