Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2017 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

Justin Stone wrote:
Good thought about the roadmap! Canon did that with the II series super feels about 8 years ago. It took them a few years to fulfill their commitment but they did.

So yeah. Come on Sony let’s do this thing.

400 f4 Fall 2017
400 f2.8 Winter 2018
600 f4 Fall 2018
300 2.8 Spring 2019
500 f4 Fall 2019

As others have written they should discount the f4 version of the the E mount 400 f4 heavily to get sales and people interested.

3995-4495 would do the trick

Why would you want Sony to spend their R&D time and money on those lenses? Would you be lining up to purchase them? I have zero interest in the monster lens. Let's have Sony focus on lenses like a very light 200 2.8 or a 300 f4...something which is easy to carry and more importantly easier on the pocket books.

Yeh it would be great to see those super-teles...but let's be honest here, it would be just for bragging rights against CaNikon for the vast majority here.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:18 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

freaklikeme wrote:
If they release a 400, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they went all out on a 400/2.8 that's both massive (but probably a little lighter than Canon or Nikon's like lenses) and massively expensive ($10k+). It also wouldn't surprise me if they went f/4 or 4.5 to keep the size down. Either way, I know it'll be more than I'll ever pay for a single lens.

I'd love to see a 400-600/5.6 with performance equal to or better than the long end of the Nikon 200-500/5.6. And I'd like it to extend when zooming to help keep the packed
...Show more

Now you are talking. Deliver us a 200-500 that has the same quality and price as the Nikon version. I'm actually looking at that lens along with the D500 as a setup for my trip to Tanzania next spring.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:23 AM
Justin Stone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

Sure most people wouldn’t buy them, but (and this topic has been done to death) Sony’s strategy is to win over news agencies and sports shooters. Need sidelines glass to accomplish that.

For me I want a 400 f4 at some price I can save up for. It will be the first and last super telephoto I need. 2.0x and 1.4x will do the rest.

chez wrote:
Why would you want Sony to spend their R&D time and money on those lenses? Would you be lining up to purchase them? I have zero interest in the monster lens. Let's have Sony focus on lenses like a very light 200 2.8 or a 300 f4...something which is easy to carry and more importantly easier on the pocket books.

Yeh it would be great to see those super-teles...but let's be honest here, it would be just for bragging rights against CaNikon for the vast majority here.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:33 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

Justin Stone wrote:
Sure most people wouldn’t buy them, but (and this topic has been done to death) Sony’s strategy is to win over news agencies and sports shooters. Need sidelines glass to accomplish that.

For me I want a 400 f4 at some price I can save up for. It will be the first and last super telephoto I need. 2.0x and 1.4x will do the rest.

I'm all for that as long as it's not a defocus from the prosumer market that got Sony here. There are still holes in their lens lineup outside the superteles that need to be filled. A high quality light 35 1.8 lens would sell like hotcakes as would a light 200 f2.8 or even f3.5 lens. Maybe taking another run at the 24-70 f4 lens, one that has stellar image quality as well.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:48 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

I'm all for a Lanthar style lens. It's nice to have an optically impeccable 200mm class lens that you don't mind taking hiking for a few days. The original APO Lanthar is great though very pricey for a vintage lens, and I'm sure it could be a lot contrastier in a remake, and we could get rid of that touch of astigmatism in the extreme corners. Oh: nice sunstars would be good...

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:01 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

bjornthun wrote:
Maybe Sony should do 400/2.8 and a 200-400/4 + 1.4x TC like the Canon lens as a start.

If they are looking to the pro sports market a 200-400/4 with or without built in TC should be high priority. You see a lot of those on the sidelines now. 300/400 2.8 after that.

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

ggreene wrote:
If they are looking to the pro sports market a 200-400/4 with or without built in TC should be high priority. You see a lot of those on the sidelines now. 300/400 2.8 after that.

True, that's another lens I should have included. I guess me shooting wildlife/birds with Nikon has led me to care (too?) little about those big zooms. The Nikon version is not as highly esteemed as the Canon equivalent with the in-built TC.

For those of us who shoot birds the 200-400 is rather short. Even with the in-built TC, I find it rather short (at least on FF) for birding and wildlife that is hard to approach. I understand why sports photographer or those going on safaris like them, but for me they are a bit too short.

Chez, I agree that there are still holes in the sub-200mm line-up waiting to be filled and more compact, longer primes (200 2.8, 300 4) would fit the form factor of the a7/a9 series better than the big guns and also sell more units, but as somebody mentioned before, those big, long lenses are statement lenses. If Sony wants to play with the "big boys" (and the a9 seems to suggest that's their plan), they need at least a few of those statement lenses.

On a related note, I find it quite interesting that around 50% of those who responded to my poll (thanks everyone ), actually is interested in a 400 2.8 or 4 or 500/600 4. I fall into that category as well (a successor to the 400 4.5 sounds like a great idea), even though I'm not holding my breath, knowing how excellent Canikon's current long offerings are. Matching that level of performance in a similar/or slightly smaller package (e.g. a 500 4 weighing just below 3kg) already would be quite a feat, if you ask me.

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:49 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

We really need a straight 200 2.8 that can take TC as well. I know I need one but we are relying on a 70-200 2.8 and it's big. Nice 200 2.8 I think would go a long way for hobbyists and you folks are the real market. They start getting into this 300/400 2.8 stuff it gets very specialized and a harder sell. Especially going up against Canons long glass and adapting them has gotten very good with adapters. People are not going to sell a working long 2.8 lens just to go native. These are expensive lenses and flip flopping brands is even a harder sell. Seriously how many of you are willing to spend 5k to 9k on a 400 2.8. I'm not. Most would jump on that 100-400 and push there ISO's a couple stops more

Yes they maybe targeting sports with the A9 a mistake in my mind but how many really need that 400 2.8 for wildlife and sports being dominated by Canon. These are areas you avoid competing in as it's such a small market filled with competition. You may get some converting but not a major market share. Hell a 35 F2 will out sell just about anything and put far more profit in than any big gun you sell.

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:52 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

I use my Nikon D500 (maybe soon a D850), a Sigma 150-600 Sports, a Nikon 500mm F4 G VR for my birding/airshow hobby. I also have the Sony FE 100-400 GM. I agree with Chris, 400mm is not long enough for birds in most situations, it's not even long enough for some shots at airshows. Will I spend $10K + on a Sony 500mm F4 if they make one? No. They can make all the statements they want. A reasonably priced good quality 200-600 by either Sony or third party may get a lot more buyers, there, I agree with chez.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:28 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

GMPhotography wrote:
We really need a straight 200 2.8 that can take TC as well. I know I need one but we are relying on a 70-200 2.8 and it's big. Nice 200 2.8 I think would go a long way for hobbyists and you folks are the real market. They start getting into this 300/400 2.8 stuff it gets very specialized and a harder sell. Especially going up against Canons long glass and adapting them has gotten very good with adapters. People are not going to sell a working long 2.8 lens just to go native. These are expensive lenses and
...Show more

Guy,

I don't think it is just about competing and making money in those markets. I think it is also about defining the brand. Sony wants to be able to say that their E-mount system can do anything a DSLR can. They aren't there yet, but they are getting pretty close and they should be there by the time Canon and Nikon come out with mirrorless FF cameras. At that point when Canon and Nikon users have to decide about a switch to mirrorless cameras, you can bet Sony wants to be in the position that if they switch to Sony they will be using lenses designed for mirrorless, whereas if they stick with Canon or Nikon they will be using adapted lenses. It is easy to imagine that in 5 years you will have the choice between a Sony A9 III with 25 fps, 40 mpix, and fantastic native AF, and all native lenses that can keep up with that camera, or a Canon mirrorless with 25 fps, 30 mpix, and fantastic AF, but none of their legacy lenses can use all that speed and the AF suffers too, or they can go with a 1DX IV that is 14 fps, 30mpix, and fantastic AF that works with the lenses, but it does not have silent shutter, the view finder blacks out, and it has much slower fps. The situation is the same for Nikon (maybe they will have a bit high mpix) and it is pickle that Canon and Nikon will eventually face. The opportunity isn't there yet, but I think Sony is smart in seeing that it is coming. Sports shooting is going to eventually demand the tech that mirrorless can provide, and as a preview see how many people will still be using Canon or Nikon to cover golf now that you can use a truly silent A9. If Sony has their lenses in place and Canon and Nikon don't when that tech changes the way people shoot, then Sony will be in a position to win a decent share of that market and with it the cachet it provides for the brand. I think that is what Sony is ultimately after and expect them to make a play for that market even for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, and the Olympics has a bunch of sports that will benefits from what mirrorless provides (Silent shooting and super fast fps at least). Expect an A9 II by then and a pretty full slate of quality capable lenses for shooting sports. If Sony markets itself well for that event, and then expands the capabilities of the A9 III I think they can capture a nice share of the sports market and with it a full place at the table with the biggest camera brands.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:35 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

Steve I don't disagree it's also for Sony a upmarket decision on branding and like Leica which does this all the time but it's also going to be a loss leader getting to that market for a bit. This may take a few years to do and I get that. But they need to build the base and they are not there yet. So they need to make money along the way. But yes we always have to include branding as that's very important.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:43 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

Steve Spencer wrote:
I think that is what Sony is ultimately after and expect them to make a play for that market even for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, and the Olympics has a bunch of sports that will benefits from what mirrorless provides (Silent shooting and super fast fps at least). Expect an A9 II by then and a pretty full slate of quality capable lenses for shooting sports. If Sony markets itself well for that event, and then expands the capabilities of the A9 III I think they can capture a nice share of the sports market and with it
...Show more

Agreed about the 2020 Olympics. It's too good of an opportunity on Sony's home turf to pass up. Would love to see a beefier slightly larger A9mk2 and a couple of faster supertele's (zoom or primes).

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:26 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

ggreene wrote:
Agreed about the 2020 Olympics. It's too good of an opportunity on Sony's home turf to pass up. Would love to see a beefier slightly larger A9mk2 and a couple of faster supertele's (zoom or primes).

I think it will be extremely hard for Sony to make any kind of dent in the 2020 Olympics. Not only do they not have the glass yet, I think they will need another rev of the A9 as well as establishing a huge support network for professional sports shooters.

If I was an established profession sports photographer, there would have to be a huge tangible benefit to take the huge risk of switching systems for one of the premier sporting events.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:36 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

Steve Spencer wrote:
Guy,

I don't think it is just about competing and making money in those markets. I think it is also about defining the brand. Sony wants to be able to say that their E-mount system can do anything a DSLR can. They aren't there yet, but they are getting pretty close and they should be there by the time Canon and Nikon come out with mirrorless FF cameras. At that point when Canon and Nikon users have to decide about a switch to mirrorless cameras, you can bet Sony wants to be in the position that if they switch to
...Show more

Good insight and well written Steve. From a business perspective, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

chez wrote:
I think it will be extremely hard for Sony to make any kind of dent in the 2020 Olympics. Not only do they not have the glass yet, I think they will need another rev of the A9 as well as establishing a huge support network for professional sports shooters.

If I was an established profession sports photographer, there would have to be a huge tangible benefit to take the huge risk of switching systems for one of the premier sporting events.

Difficult, near impossible? Yes. However, with the speed at which Sony innovates and given their resolve and financial might, I wouldn't count them out just yet. I fully expect to see the required glass and Sony is now starting to offer Pro Imaging Support at major sports events. "It’s telling that the U.S. Open remodeled their media support space to make room for Sony Imaging PRO Support. " https://alphauniverse.com/stories/sony-imaging-pro-support-at-the-us-open/

Now how to get the Sony A9 kit into the hands of pro photogs at 2020 Olympics...just do what Canon does ( business is business)

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

chez wrote:

this is key, it doesn't matter how many uber expensive super telephotos sony makes, they're never going to win over many pro sports shooters without a pro support system that rivals canon's. it doesn't matter how great their glass is, it just wouldn't make sense to give that up for a minor image quality improvement. sony shows no sign of doing that anytime soon, so they shouldn't waste much effort making $10k+ lenses.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

sebboh wrote:
this is key, it doesn't matter how many uber expensive super telephotos sony makes, they're never going to win over many pro sports shooters without a pro support system that rivals canon's. it doesn't matter how great their glass is, it just wouldn't make sense to give that up for a minor image quality improvement. sony shows no sign of doing that anytime soon, so they shouldn't waste much effort making $10k+ lenses.

You have to start somewhere https://alphauniverse.com/stories/sony-imaging-pro-support-at-the-us-open/ Whether they can pull this off by 2020 remains to be seen. Either way we will know more in the coming months and into 2018. At least for now, I see signs they are pointed in the right direction.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:06 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

chez wrote:
I think it will be extremely hard for Sony to make any kind of dent in the 2020 Olympics.

I don't think they necessarily have to make a dent but I think it would help if they were highly visible showing pro sports photographers a viable alternative. They still have 2+ years to get an A9mk2 and lenses out there.

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:41 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

Agreed there are holes. Rumored 135 isn’t out, 24-105, 35 2.0, 180 macro, tse lenses, and super teles.

chez wrote:
I'm all for that as long as it's not a defocus from the prosumer market that got Sony here. There are still holes in their lens lineup outside the superteles that need to be filled. A high quality light 35 1.8 lens would sell like hotcakes as would a light 200 f2.8 or even f3.5 lens. Maybe taking another run at the 24-70 f4 lens, one that has stellar image quality as well.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:46 AM
billsnature
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What long lenses would you want for e-mount?

I could live with a 400mm f4, but would prefer a 500mm f4

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:08 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.