Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the b...

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

kevindar wrote:
I think sony will go a long way if they start making some high quality, f 1.8/2 lenses, which are reasonably priced.

This so much. Nikon has the great f/1.8G series primes that gives you light weight, very good image quality (sometimes even excellent) at a fair price. Sony has some of this covered, but that darn 35mm f/1.8 or f/2...

Sep 24, 2017 at 08:21 AM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

Unless you need f2, the Sony 35 2.8 is a stellar lens whose weight and size are minuscule. My favorite lens when just out and about.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

Chez, and of course there is the new samyang 30 2.8.
The thing is, if I buy a prime in that range, I would like it to be at least f2 or faster. My 24-70 2.8II is stellart as a 35 2.8 lens, though big and bulky. I am pretty sure optically its not much different form the sony 35 2.8 prime. But may be the move is a shift in paradigm of how I think about primes. May be it does become much more about size, and to some extent image quality, and less about speed. I love having the fast primes, for low light shooting, and subject isolation. All of my 1.2 and 1.4 L lenses are used primarily indoor and are rarely ever shot past f2.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:54 PM
3catsinky
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

DO IT!! going all native will set you free, and back a few bucks, but to take advantage of the AF capabilities is well worth it. The small Sony 28, and 55FE are my most used lenses for both photo and video. The weight savings alone is worth the extra cost. I had to endure using a 5D3 for video work last weekend, and after being in the Sony camp, it was a real struggle, and very archaic.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:58 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

kevindar wrote:
The thing is, if I buy a prime in that range, I would like it to be at least f2 or faster. My 24-70 2.8II is stellart as a 35 2.8 lens, though big and bulky. I am pretty sure optically its not much different form the sony 35 2.8 prime. But may be the move is a shift in paradigm of how I think about primes. May be it does become much more about size, and to some extent image quality, and less about speed. I love having
...Show more

I agree with chez on the Zony 35/2.8. Though it's the same speed as your 24-70 zoom, you will use the 35/2.8 for things when you don't want to carry the zoom, and quality will be great.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:00 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

Iíd do what you suggested. Pick up a few primes and keep your zooms. Try the proms for a bit. If you like them sell off your canon equivalents. You really donít have to choose. I donít like having too much investment doing nothing so I try to keep my lens count under 8 or so.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:11 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

kevindar wrote:
The thing is, if I buy a prime in that range, I would like it to be at least f2 or faster. My 24-70 2.8II is stellart as a 35 2.8 lens, though big and bulky. I am pretty sure optically its not much different form the sony 35 2.8 prime. But may be the move is a shift in paradigm of how I think about primes. May be it does become much more about size, and to some extent image quality, and less about speed. I love having
...Show more

Well then there is the 35 1.4 lens for you.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

I moved from a Canon very soon after the A7R was released. I after starting initially with just the 35mm Sony lens and Metabones IV, I sold off most of my Canon lenses, including the 85L and 200L, but kept the 100L and 135L.

I sometimes regret selling off the 85L as it's a very special lens and it looks likely to be replaced by the new 85mm f/1.4L (along with the 50/1.2) so it could be the last in the line of AF f/1.2 lenses. However despite the images I got I never liked the handling of the lens (such as the resistance of the focus ring, the way the hood is connected to the focus ring, how close the rear element is to the mount). I tried it on the A7R and the ergonomics were even worse, with the adapter it was very front heavy and I couldn't support the lens without rotating the focus ring. I sold it very soon after that experiment.

Despite the fact that focussing with the Metabones improved dramatically with the A7RII I still found most Canon lenses lacking in AF compared to the Sony equivalents, with things like the ability to move the focus point around and have reliable AF (you can do this in good light, but as levels drop the Metabones the centre point is the only reliable one).

I kept the 100L macro as if I'm doing close up work I will probably manually focus. I decided to keep the 135mm until Sony released a 135mm f/2.0 (still waiting ), sold the 200 as I wasn't using it nearly as much as the 135.

I ended up getting the Sony 55/1.8 and 28/2 to go with the 35/2.8 and the Batis 85/1.8. I still need to sort out a wide/ultrwide, I have an Olympus OM 21/3.5 in the meantime, but I'm waiting for an AF Loxia 21! I don't do zooms, so the Sony lineup is a little short currently but it's getting there.

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:25 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

thanks Matt, some good thoughts.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:14 AM
Charlie N
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

do you really need to use the 24-70ii?

I find that while 24-70 f2.8's are great, they tire me out and zap the fun out of photography. I reserved them for job shooting rather than casual shooting.

Native was best for me.

12-24, probably my favorite landscape lens of all time.
35 f2.8, nice snapshot lens, would carry that over a 24-70 99/100 times. There are only a handful of occasions a year that I really could use a 24-70, maybe 3 times yearly.
50 f1.8, another nice snapshot lens, smooth bokeh, eye AF makes all the difference.
85 f1.8, great lens

unfortunately, for anything else, I'm still playing the adapt game. Not really my choice, options simply arent there.

cv 35 f1.7 ultron + TAP
sigma 135A
cy 35-70 + 100-300

I would probably add the 24-70GM down the line, owned the 24-70ii for years, but it's too noisy for video, otherwise, I'de probably still be adapting it. Wouldnt even use it for landscapes, too big.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:30 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

Charlie N wrote:
do you really need to use the 24-70ii?

I find that while 24-70 f2.8's are great, they tire me out and zap the fun out of photography. I reserved them for job shooting rather than casual shooting.

Native was best for me.

12-24, probably my favorite landscape lens of all time.
35 f2.8, nice snapshot lens, would carry that over a 24-70 99/100 times. There are only a handful of occasions a year that I really could use a 24-70, maybe 3 times yearly.
50 f1.8, another nice snapshot lens, smooth bokeh, eye AF makes all the difference.
85 f1.8, great lens

unfortunately, for anything else,
...Show more
thanks.

I do a lot of my shooting at home of my kids. so dont mind the bulk as much of 24-70. Additionally its a great landscape lens, with excellent corners, wonderful color and contrast, decent flare resistance, great sun stars, etc.
Its been two months. I think for now I will stick with my canon and see how they meet my needs. I may pick up the 85 1.8, as it is reasonable, if I can find one used for around 450-500. I will wait for sigma to release hopefuly a native mount 35 1.4 art lens. I will sell some of my canon long lenses, and wait and see if the price of sony 100-400 drops with time, since I dont have immediate need to use one.

meantime, also deciding between godox 685 vs 350 flash. the 685 is more powerful, but more than double the size.

Edited on Sep 25, 2017 at 01:37 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:01 AM
Charlie N
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

kevindar wrote:
thanks.

I do a lot of my shooting at home of my kids. so dont mind the bulk as much of 24-70. Additionally its a great landscape lens, with excellent corners, wonderful color and contrast, decent flare resistance, great sun stars, etc.
Its been two months. I think for now I will stick with my canon and see how they meed my needs. I may pick up the 85 1.8, as it is reasonable, if I can find one used for around 450-500. I will wait for sony to release hopefuly a native mount 35 1.4 art lens. I will
...Show more

I also have both flashes, and hands down the 350. It's so feathery, makes all the difference especially since I dont like to flash. If I feel that I absolutely need it, I can fit the flash in my pocket. It's considerably smaller and a whole lot less volume. If you do high volume flashed shots, then 685, it has a decent amount of juice, I can probably get through the whole day on a set of batteries.

While shooting a birthday the other night, small bag with two primes, 35/85, and tt350.... serious combo, didnt feel any limitations, extremely happy with results.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:35 AM
Jonathan Brady
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

Kevin,
Re: Flashes... have you thought about the AD200 (aka eVOLV 200)? Something I've done in the past is put a transmitter in the hotshoe and aim a flash at the ceiling to bounce light. This has worked well for pics of my kids, lowering the ISO tremendously. I don't use it in every scenario as I often like the ambient light as it's an indicator of the time of day, situation, etc. But sometimes I don't care about that. The transmitter is lightweight and the AD200/eVOLV is easy to use and powerful (you don't have to worry too much about recycle times).
Just a thought.
As for the 350/685, I just picked up both and yes, there's definitely an enormous difference in size. I'd say if your plan is to bounce light and you plan to take more than 1 picture at a time, go with the 685 (especially with the Li-on battery pack) as the recycle time of the 685 is great.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:34 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Struggling with conversion. Dual system or rip off the bandaid?

I am still currently vested in the hybrid system with Sony camera (A7R) and Canon EF lenses (other than manual focus third party lenses, too). I was on the fence this year to sell some of my Canon EF gear, but low used prices for my L lenses made me stay away from this plan - I rather keep them and use them sporadically when I need them. Just this past weekend I was glad I kept some more rarely used EF lenses of mine - the 14/2.8 L and the 8-15/4 L fisheye lenses. I used both of them extensively with Metabones adapter on my A7R this day since it was the best solution for shooting ultra-wide.

The Canon 100-400 vers I is a lens I very rarely use these days - maybe only once a year. But same thing - for the price it is worth right now I rather keep it. Saying this, I stay away from vesting in E-mount lens gear and rather use my existing lens gear with my mirrorless camera.

Other reason for me to hang on my L glass is the excellent performance in infrared light. I do quite some IR shooting, and the L lenses are beneficial here (also include the IR meter mark which most other lenses don't have anymore). I have no idea how Sony FE lenses perform in infrared light.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password