Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Even the Canon 300mm hood was beyond ridiculous expensive. I fixed mine with epoxy and gaffers tape when I learned it was like 500 or so. No thank you.

Appreciate the tip. Not a bad idea and one I should probably do to the 24-70 hood.

I think lens hoods are a bigger rip off than UV filters.
Imagemaster wrote:
IMO, the biggest rip-off for camera gear is the price of lens hoods. Up to $1,000 for a piece of metal or plastic, with maybe a set-screw, or just a threaded end.

For those who carry their gear through bush while shooting handheld, you probably know how easily the hood can be knocked off by bushes, branches, etc. Sometimes you don't even know it was knocked off.

Now if you are a lens diva, this method may not appeal to you if you worry about what your gear looks like. I could care less what the temporary covering or attachments on my
...Show more

Sep 23, 2017 at 05:59 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

John_T wrote:
I've got a good collection of those rubber bands, they come around a bundle of asparagus and are handy for a lot of things. What I have noticed, however, is that they deteriorate pretty rapidly and crumble if left in the sun a lot.

The answer would be to use white neoprene .. should last far longer than the heat and ultraviolet absorbing black neoprene ..

Don't think we have asparagus here in Georgia unless you go into Atlanta for some reason .. but I think store bought collard greens come with the white neoprene bindings ...

Jefferson

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:49 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

I fill the same way about the Sig C 150-600, lens hood falls off pretty easy, thanks for the idea Tony, nothing like DIY

Now I am going to get some Camo neoprene , I already have those rubber bands, they come with many veggies rapped with them.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:38 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

ckcarr wrote:
Well, the 200-500mm lens hood is about the flimsiest and most poorly fitting of any Nikon hood that I've had experience with. It was, in small part, the reason I ended up keeping the Sigma 150-600mm Sport over the Nikon when I was comparing the two side-by-side. Besides the fact that I could use the Sigma as a jack to change a tire on my Jeep.

do you have to zoom in or out to lift the jeep?

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

IndyFab wrote:
I fill the same way about the Sig C 150-600, lens hood falls off pretty easy, thanks for the idea Tony, nothing like DIY

Now I am going to get some Camo neoprene , I already have those rubber bands, they come with many veggies rapped with them.

Yeah, camo or black works well. The heat or ultra-violet rays are of little consequence since the neoprene is covered with a fabric. White would look pretty stupid on a black lens.

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:21 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Are these lens hoods loose on the lenses so that they fall off easily or is it that they deform?

Sep 24, 2017 at 09:39 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Is there a flexible easy to go around lens hood for 200-500 ?
One problem: I don't see the "size" written on this lens. I bet I hope Amazon would try the hoods they have on this lens and let us know which one fits if any,

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Even the $400-$600 hoods that go on the Canon 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 lens can come loose or get knocked off, and their set screws can come loose. It has nothing to do with hoods deforming. Whether or not they do come off, those prices are absurd if you need to replace one, for whatever reason.

I actually prefer the rubber collapsible hoods. They absorb shock better, and by collapsing the hood you can get the lens in a smaller case without having to remove the hood.

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Can some one post a picture of a camo-hood?

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:34 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Maybe what you say is true but I have been beating the heck out of both the Canon 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 for nearly 20 years now and have yet to have one fall off. Maybe I'm just lucky. The plastic snap on hoods like from the old 100-400 IS on the other hand are relatively easy to knock off in my experience.

Imagemaster wrote:
Even the $400-$600 hoods that go on the Canon 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 lens can come loose or get knocked off, and their set screws can come loose. It has nothing to do with hoods deforming. Whether or not they do come off, those prices are absurd if you need to replace one, for whatever reason.

I actually prefer the rubber collapsible hoods. They absorb shock better, and by collapsing the hood you can get the lens in a smaller case without having to remove the hood.

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Greg Lavaty wrote:
Maybe what you say is true but I have been beating the heck out of both the Canon 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 for nearly 20 years now and have yet to have one fall off.

Same here, for eight years, or so.

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

jcolwell wrote:
Same here, for eight years, or so.

Congratulations to you both. You are hereby free to ignore this thread.

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:32 PM
CBokeh
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Neil vanNiekerk came up with the Black Foamie Thing, a flash modifier made with $1 sheet of Flex Foam from Micheals (or Walmart in the art supply section) and some hair bands from his daughter.

When I was cutting up the foam to add to my bag, I decided to cut a wider piece too. Whenever I carry a lens that doesn't have a hood I just wrap the Black Foamie Hood around it and I'm good to go. Works with any diameter lens with a FL above 35mm. It might work on a 24, but I haven't tried it. They do wear out, though. Mine's lasted several years, you may be rougher with yours.

https://youtu.be/ixyjeYtTz60

Sep 24, 2017 at 08:05 PM
tsangc
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Imagemaster wrote:
I guess that is a typo, and you mean "using"?

I buy sheets of neoprene and use it for a variety of things. Seams can be glued or sewn.

One supplier: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Neoprene-Foams_c_17.html

Heh. I tried to find a local supplier and couldn't. So I ended up making a similar "lenscoat" using an old wetsuit which had been given to me by our local community sailing club.

Carefully avoiding the 90's era neon colours, I managed to get enough black to cover a 300mm f2.8 with a velcro circular cover too.

Can't beat free and a bit of cutting and sewing.

Imagemaster wrote:
Even the $400-$600 hoods that go on the Canon 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 lens can come loose or get knocked off, and their set screws can come loose.

There's a small set of screws on the outside barrel (four?) which also seem to get loose. I keep retightening them but never have a JIS screwdriver in the field, so I just try and twist them tight with finger temporarily. I should really locktite them or something.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:00 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Spend about 10 cents to save maybe up to $1,000.

Good going on the recycling of the neoprene.

As for the Locktite, make sure you use the right version. The blue version, not the red.

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. LoctiteŽ Threadlocker Blue 242 is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing.

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password