New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Maximilian
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

I have the Otus 55mm and the Otus 85mm which I use on a 5DsR. I have a Canon TS-E 24mm II too.
I'm now considering buying the Otus 28mm ZE, but I wonder if I had a gain in image quality compared to the Canon 24mm TS-E II at landscape apertures f/5.6 - f/11.
Has anybody compared these two lenses in such conditions, long distance+middle f/numbers?
Thanks.

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:01 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Look at the following link for a comparison:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=486&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=1&LensComp=1030&CameraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=4

If you have unlimited funds, get the Otus. Given the price difference and the bonus of tilt shift, the 24 TS-E would be my pick.

As an aside, the sharpest of the three Otus offerings is the 55(I own the 55). Not many reviewers are as positive about the 28 as they seemed to be about the 55/85. One exception is Ming Thein.

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

At f/8 and infinity focus, my Zeiss 25/2 ZE is noticeably sharper at the edges and corners than my TS-E 24/3.5L II (unshifted). The ZE has slight CA while the TS-E has none. I use one or the other according to the subject, and not which is 'best', because both are excellent. I might re-think (and re-test) that when I go to a 50 to 60 MPx camera.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:03 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Two very different animals with very different purposes .....the Zeiss is to used wide open while the tse tilted to avoid closing down too much.
There is much more to be said, but pretty much one does replace the other.
I am waiting on the Zeiss 25MM f1.4...

With that said,you better off with the tse.
I think I read very good reviews about the Zeiss 25 mm f/2. - maybe a good option
I had the pleasure to test the Otus 28mm and it's a joy shooting wide open....For the first hour or so, and I agree with previous comments too

Sep 23, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Kcct82

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Stopped down, I believe both would resolve full frame 50mp. I think it's a matter of taste, angle of view, and funds. I have 7 Zeiss ZE lenses, 21, 28, 35, 55 Otus, 85 Otus, 100, and 135. I also have the TSE 24mm. I thought about getting the Otus 28 for a long time, but ended up buy the ZE 28mm f2 instead.

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:42 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Find a long fence line or a field of poppies in blossom.
Shoot it with both lenses - and see which can get the complete fence or field in focus.

Two different animals.

You use the tilt/shift for its ability to correct/control the image as you shoot. The Zeiss does not have that capability.

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:14 AM
Maximilian
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Thanks for your replies.
I thought my question was clerar enough, infact it's not, as it seems.
So, I do own the Canon 24mm TS-E II and I don't have easy access to the Otus 28mm ZE, hence my question here.
I don't consider replacing the Canon with the Otus but rather adding the Otus.
I perfectly know that they are two very different lenses, but let the difference in focal leght aside, my question only concerns pure image quality at f/5.6 - f/11 for landscapes, not considering the tilt/shift abilities.

Sep 23, 2017 at 09:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Maximilian wrote:
... but let the difference in focal leght aside, my question only concerns pure image quality at f/5.6 - f/11 for landscapes, not considering the tilt/shift abilities.

Understood. That's why I mentioned the 25/2 ZE, as a sort of "intermediate" lens. You can compare MTF curves for the Otus 28 and ZE 25 with high confidence. I'd be very disappointed if I bought the Otus 28, and it was not noticeably sharper than the ZE 25/2 (and 35/2 ZE), at comparable apertures. Just sayin.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

The Otus 28mm is not a lens to shoot at 5.6 - you can, ofcourse, and as pretty much everyone else said in different ways, not as sharp as other available.
OTOH only the otus can shoot at f1.4 and get away with it if you like ultra thin DOF

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM
Maximilian
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Bacalhau wrote:
The Otus 28mm is not a lens to shoot at 5.6 - you can, ofcourse, and as pretty much everyone else said in different ways, not as sharp as other available.

for instance the Canon 24mm TS-E II...?
That would be intersting for me to know, if anyone compared the two lenses.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:37 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

I've tried to sell my Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 three times now.

The first time was when I got my TS-E 24mm.

The second time was when I got my 24-70mm f/4.

The third time was when I got my 24-70mm f/2.8 II.

Each time, I thought I had a more versatile lens (in different ways) that came close to the same focal length, so thought I could recover some funds by selling the Zeiss. Each time, I had the listing ready and everything, (and in one case actually had the lens listed both here and on the auction site). And each time, all it took was one look at the Zeiss images for me to cancel the listing.

That Zeiss lens is magical, especially for landscapes.

It is easily the sharpest and most contrasty lens I have used, especially in the edges and corners.

But more than that, it definitely is the best rendering lens I have ever used. I know folks are going to scoff, deride, laugh, mock, or scorn me for pitching the "myth" of microcontrast. But I've seen it, and I believe it. And it's not just the microcontrast, but color detail. Yeah, just as intangible of an intangible, I know! But, again, I've seen it, and I believe it. Many times I shoot the same scene with a few different lenses and setting. Without looking at any info, the moment the Zeiss images come up after a sequence of non-Zeiss in the review, you just know it. Even non photo-technical folks have picked it up: I hear the "wow!" or the "whoah!" behind me as I am reviewing the images sometimes. There is just this vibrant pop to the images that are simply unmatched by any other lens without post-processing. Sure, a little but of clarity here, and a little bit of saturation/vibrance there, may be some HSL fiddling, etc. and you can bring images with other lenses to the same or similar level of pop. So, as far as the final product goes, it may not be that big of a deal. But that take-your-breath-away-pop-straight-from-the-glass? Nothing but the Zeiss has given me that. And that is why I just cannot bring myself to sell the lens, even if I have the focal length otherwise covered by lenses that are just as sharp and contrasty.

And yep, it has some moustache distortion, which makes it less than ideal for architecture and which many people hate. But honestly, it's never bothered me for the nature landscapes I do.

You have the TS-E, and you know what it's capable of. It's a great lens. But not the number one choice, I think, if your main concern is sharpness and contrast, especially in the edges/corners. While I had it in my hands (I've since sold it), I found it noticeably less sharp and contrasty, especially in the edges/corners than the Zeiss 21 at apertures down to f/5.6, and less noticeably but still arguably so at apertures down to f/8 and f/11.

Sep 23, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

jeetsukumaran wrote:
I've tried to sell my Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 three times now.
That Zeiss lens is magical, especially for landscapes.

It is easily the sharpest and most contrasty lens I have used, especially in the edges and corners.

But more than that, it definitely is the best rendering lens I have ever used. I know folks are going to scoff, deride, laugh, mock, or scorn me for pitching the "myth" of microcontrast.

Only gasbag poseurs who don't know what they're talking about will do that, in particular those who have never laid a hand on Zeiss glass.

The optical character and performance of most of the lenses in the Zeiss roster are well known. Several years ago when I first began using the Zeiss 50 f/2 Makro Planar and the Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro Planar I could see at once the 'bite' in the images. And the superb build is a delight too, especially from an engineering perspective.

Today we have the outstanding new generation Canon zooms and combining them with some Zeiss primes can be a good strategy. Not to mention some of the great primes in the Canon stable as well (the upcoming Canon TS lenses are eagerly awaited).

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Maximilian wrote:
for instance the Canon 24mm TS-E II...?
That would be intersting for me to know, if anyone compared the two lenses.

I have the tse, and was able to test the Otus twice.
Never crossed my mind comparing it to the tse, which might sound silly,, but what attracted on the Otus was indeed the f1.4 and the its image rendering.
The price meant that I would have to give up on other purchases for a while, and there is the weight issue. Boy, that's a heavy beast, and I do have the 55 and 85.
95% of the shots I took with the 28 were wide open, but I might still buy it sometime later, if indeed Zeiss doesn't bring out a new 25mm, or/ and that irix 15mm macro (?) ends being a POS (have not tried it yet).
They are just tools...choose the right one for the right task, and neither of the two you are discussing are " jack-of-all-trades'
Last but not least, the 28 is a awesome lens

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:54 PM
edean
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

I've not owned the TSE and just bought the Otus which by all accounts sacrifices a small amount of center sharpness for full frame corner to corner sharpness and a flat image field with consistency as the design choice. It's still a very sharp lens at 1.4 and razor sharp by 2.8

It's got a large vignette but it's almost almost free of LaCA/LoCA with low distortion and lots of contrast which is why I bought a used one. The colour accuracy is great and more neutral than the L glass I've owned.

Dustin Abbott rates it better than the 35L II optically.
https://dustinabbott.net/2017/03/zeiss-otus-28mm-f1-4-apo-distagon-t-review/

Digilloyd has a review here.
https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/ZF/publish/28Otus-MTF.html?dglyPT=true

Edited on Sep 23, 2017 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:05 PM
Maximilian
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Thanks to everyone for your useful inputs.

edean wrote:
the Otus which by all accounts sacrifices (...) a flat image field with consistency as the design choice.

could you please elaborate a bit on this? Thank you.

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:50 PM
edean
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Some of the other lenses in this category have greater center sharpness but sacrifice corner sharpness such as the Sigma 24 ART and Canon 35L II

The Otus 28 is a Distagon design with a huge front element (95mm). This allows a flatter (less convex) image field in the plane of focus = low field curvature at landscape focal lengths. The apochromatic design also means Zeiss optimised for reducing other aberrations (LaCA, LoCA, Spherical, Coma) which contribute to leading excellent contrast and perceived sharpness.

Disclaimer: I recently bought mine as I want to put together the best quality Landscape kit possible after a photography break. Just waiting for some free time and some good light. I have a trip to Southern India in two weeks but I'm somewhat limited by older camera bodies currently. I'm waiting for the next iteration of the 5DSR II or considering a Nikon D850 as my next upgrade to get the best out of my glass.

Maximilian wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your useful inputs.

could you please elaborate a bit on this? Thank you.

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:22 PM
dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

You should look into the Zeiss 21mm. I have it and the Ts-E and they are both exceptional. The Zeiss has better colors and micro contrast and its wider. the 28mm sounds too close to 24mm.

Sep 24, 2017 at 09:38 PM
Kcct82

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Bacalhau wrote:
I have the tse, and was able to test the Otus twice.
Never crossed my mind comparing it to the tse, which might sound silly,, but what attracted on the Otus was indeed the f1.4 and the its image rendering.
The price meant that I would have to give up on other purchases for a while, and there is the weight issue. Boy, that's a heavy beast, and I do have the 55 and 85.
95% of the shots I took with the 28 were wide open, but I might still buy it sometime later, if indeed Zeiss doesn't bring out a
...Show more

You've mentioned a Zeiss 25mm 1.4 twice already in this thread, are there rumors about this lens around? The only focal lengths I'm missing from the Zeiss line up is 15mm, 18mm, and 25mm so I'd like to hear more if you've got news to share.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:43 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Kcct82 wrote:
You've mentioned a Zeiss 25mm 1.4 twice already in this thread, are there rumors about this lens around? The only focal lengths I'm missing from the Zeiss line up is 15mm, 18mm, and 25mm so I'd like to hear more if you've got news to share.

winter is coming and like Jon Snow, I know nothing....

ok, so I was told by someone working for Zeiss - that if I was not sold by the Otus 28mm, and neither convinced with the current 25 f/2, to just be patient and wait a little bit...

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:53 AM
Kcct82

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 24mm TS-E II vs Otus 28mm IQ for landscape

Bacalhau wrote:
winter is coming and like Jon Snow, I know nothing....

ok, so I was told by someone working for Zeiss - that if I was not sold by the Otus 28mm, and neither convinced with the current 25 f/2, to just be patient and wait a little bit...

Thanks for the info

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.