New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

GFX users

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GFX users

Why did you purchase this as opposed to either Canon, Sony or Nikon 50mp cameras?

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:55 PM
sputnik
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GFX users

I had a D850 with my name in the first shipment, but for me it was not the right camera. I've gotten too used and comfortable with EVF i general and Fuji i particular. Also I wanted a camera that slowed me down. And the D850 clearly is not built for that. I must say though that the Nikon seem like a tremendous piece of kit. Ideally my GFX kit would be 45/63/110 to keep things simple. But the financial situation will keep me with the 63 only for quite some time, but I keep telling myself that this is a good thing (which I really think it is). I want to be more deliberate in my photography.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:02 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GFX users

I think question should be why you chose a bigger sensor?

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:03 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GFX users

I shot Canon full frame over a decade, then picked up a Fuji X kit for travel. Everything about the Fuji was more enjoyable to use compared to Canon. I also loved the firmware upgrades, with the Fuji systems. I sold my all of my Canon gear, and picked up a GFX for studio use, but also enjoy using it on the street. The file quality is great, and love the the way the Fuji handles. I've adapted a bunch of Rokkor lenses to use with the GFX, and it's a blast. Manual focus, but easy to use with the stellar GFX EVF. Legacy lenses are so fun, and inexpensive. I've never regretted the switch, and my last Canon was a 5DSR, with half a dozen mkII L lenses.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:12 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GFX users

fishjump wrote:
I think question should be why you chose a bigger sensor?

Ok, why?

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:12 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GFX users

sputnik wrote:
I wanted a camera that slowed me down... I want to be more deliberate in my photography.

I have never understood this reasoning. There is nothing about a DSLR (or other camera) that forces you to work quickly – you can work just as slowly and deliberately as you would with a view camera. (In fact, I've worked in groups of photographers in which the LF film guy actually got his shot faster than the DSLR guys did!)

YMMV.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:18 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GFX users

gdanmitchell wrote:
I have never understood this reasoning. There is nothing about a DSLR (or other camera) that forces you to work quickly – you can work just as slowly and deliberately as you would with a view camera. (In fact, I've worked in groups of photographers in which the LF film guy actually got his shot faster than the DSLR guys did!)

YMMV.

Agreed. I always tell people that I use my A7RII like a little view camera. I switched from 4x5 to digital in 2015, and I continue to shoot in LF mode...all manual, tripod, etc. It's irrelevant that I have an A7RII - I'd do the same regardless of the camera.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:23 PM
sputnik
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GFX users

gdanmitchell wrote:

YMMV.

What can I say Dan, it's a personal thing. I've become increasingly sloppy with my technique the last couple of years and a part of has to do with the fact that modern cameras let me get away with it. True story. Nothing more than matter of preference. I guess I could add the 4:3 ratio also apeals to me at this point in time. In short, the Fujis inspire me (and I know a lot of people think that is a bs argument) in a way that my (now sold) Nikon bodies have not done. In short, I'm weak - if there is a shortcut, I'll be prone to take it.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GFX users

sputnik wrote:
What can I say Dan, it's a personal thing. I've become increasingly sloppy with my technique the last couple of years and a part of has to do with the fact that modern cameras let me get away with it. True story. Nothing more than matter of preference. I guess I could add the 4:3 ratio also apeals to me at this point in time. In short, the Fujis inspire me (and I know a lot of people think that is a bs argument) in a way that my (now sold) Nikon bodies have not done. In short, I'm weak
...Show more

I share your preference for the 4:3 ratio. In fact, I normally crop my 3:2 full frame images to 4:3. That is one of the plus factors of the miniMF cameras for me. (I replied to your post in the Canon forum with more on the points to compare.)

Again regarding the "working slow" notion, a couple things. First, I have to acknowledge that this is a subjective thing — more or less as you admit — and that logic may not be compelling. Second, from my point of view, recognizing that quite often — even with supposedly slow genres like landscape — I do have to work quickly, I value cameras that allow me to choose my mode of working — fast when I need fast and slow when I don't.

I'm not certain what kinds of photography you intend to do with the GFX if you get it. However, the camera and similar miniMF bodies are interesting to those who do landscape. And the truth of the matter regarding landscape is that much of it is not done slowly! I could cite plenty of my own stories, where I had to work incredibly quickly to capture something before the light or mist disappeared, or I could cite stories of some pretty important classic photographs that were created while working with extreme speed. (The story of Adams' "Moonrise, Hernandez..." photograph is one such tale.)

Finally, to the extent that you are looking to the GFX to be a camera that compels you to work more slowly, I think you may be disappointed. In fact, it is, in most ways, a larger version of the Fujifilm x-trans bodies... and those are cameras designed with features that allow the photographer to work quite quickly. (That speed is part of why I use the XPro2 for my street photography.) One of the innovative features of the GFX (where it perhaps even improves on the Pentax 645z) is that Fujifilm leverages their mature and responsive interface from the smaller cropped sensor cameras. The only place that it really slows down a bit is that burst mode is slow.

So, of all the interesting reasons for looking at the GFX, in reality I think that "makes me work more slowly" isn't really so much the case. In that regard, the GFX plus the 63mm lens will be much like the XT2 plus the 35mm lens or a Sony A7Rii with a 50mm lens only.

Take care, and good luck with your decision.

Dan

Edited on Sep 22, 2017 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:18 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GFX users

Maybe it makes you work more slowly, because your scared of dropping the camera?

Seriously. As Dan mentions, a decision is also factored by the intended use. This really is not the camera for sport or street photography. 95% of my work is landscape, still life and architectural, and (I still shoot 4x5, 6x6 and 6x17 film cameras) my X-T2 is for the rest of the stuff, and back-up.

I went from the 5DRs to the 810, and finally the A7RII, and non gave me the satisfaction of handling the GFX. But thats me, and everybody will have differing opinions.

I must add that I too prefer the 4:3 ratio or square. It's also nice to a UI familiarity between the X-T2 and GFX.

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GFX users

gdanmitchell wrote:
I share your preference for the 4:3 ratio. In fact, I normally crop my 3:2 full frame images to 4:3. That is one of the plus factors of the miniMF cameras for me. (I replied to your post in the Canon forum with more on the points to compare.)

Again regarding the "working slow" notion, a couple things. First, I have to acknowledge that this is a subjective thing — more or less as you admit — and that logic may not be compelling. Second, from my point of view, recognizing that quite often — even with supposedly slow genres like landscape —
...Show more
I appreciate you comments....I never thought about working slowly, that would not be a reason for me to buy. If I was able to get better photos that would be of interest to me, meaning that the photo I took would have richer colors and clarity that would ge of interest. If those two things were just subjective I wouldn't be interested either.

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GFX users

Herb wrote:
I appreciate you comments....I never thought about working slowly, that would not be a reason for me to buy. If I was able to get better photos that would be of interest to me, meaning that the photo I took would have richer colors and clarity that would ge of interest. If those two things were just subjective I wouldn't be interested either.

Oops! My mistake – I now see that it was someone else who made that suggestion.

As to the better looking photographs, can you tell us more about how your current photographs are coming up short? What are the specific issues that you notice and how are you hoping that the GFX would help with them? Are you regularly printing large?

Dan

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:55 PM
JLRII

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GFX users

I sold off my Canon full frame kit in favor of the GFX. It was mostly about the capabilities of the camera (specifically with a focus on shooting landscapes) compared to my 5DIII and other cameras in the Canon ecosystem. Several specific areas where I prefer the GFX over my old Canon kit:

1. Much improved dynamic range/detail compared to my 5DIII (or any other camera in the Canon ecosystem - the 5DIV can get close on dynamic range, but the Fuji still holds a detail and dynamic range advantage, and while the 5DSR can get close in detail when shooting with the very best lenses, it can't keep up with the GFX's dynamic range). Honestly, I don't think any of the current 35mm options can match both the dynamic range and detail the GFX is capable of delivering.
2. Articulating LCD with touch - very useful for framing and shooting landscapes
3. Focus distance and depth of field scale shown in viewfinder/on rear display when shooting with native lenses - again, very useful for shooting landscapes or doing long exposures with NDs, I don't need to guess on where focus is or whether or not I have the depth of field I need.
4. Exposures up to 60 minutes without need for an external remote - I found the 30" exposure length limitation imposed on Canon DSLRs to be annoying on multiple occasions. Having the option to leave the shutter open for 40", 60", 120", etc., with a simple flick of the command dial has been great.

When shooting landscapes, I work faster with this camera than I did with my 5DIII. I didn't totally leave Canon behind, however, I still have an EOS M5 for basic home video and for times when a more compact setup is desired, and a 7DII+100-400mm for wildlife. I did not consider switching to Nikon or Sony, although I suspect I might enjoy shooting with the D850 (which hadn't been announced yet when I made the switch). I'm not completely sold on Sony E mount just yet, I like the Batis/GM lenses and the A7RII sounds like a great camera, I just don't know if the A7RII would prove rugged enough for me or not. The GFX ended up hitting more marks for my primary use case.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:28 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GFX users

I have D850, A7r ii and GFX. They all serve different purpose though. For landscape work, I still prefer GFX. If I pixel peep, I still think that resolution of GFX picture looks better. How much of it is from the 50 MP with bigger pixels and how much of it is from the lenses, I cannot tell but I think GFX has an advantage here. For portrait, I am very happy with either and would shoot with both cameras with different focal lenght lenses together. However, I do shoot birds and animals as well and that's where D850 excels. AF in general, D850 is much much better and I would say that live view focusing is very similar and D850 actually has better LCD screen and with peaking/magnifier, manual lenses are much easier to use with Nikon now but I still miss EVF for manual focusing though.
Personally, I really love the new WB options on D850 more than GFX WB but that is easily corrected in post. All in all, one is not clearly better than the other in everything so I am happy to have both to use depending on what I want to do.

PS A7r ii is still an excellent camera that I use when I need something smaller. I tend to use it more with either batis, loxia or Leica M lenses for light, small setup.

Edited on Sep 22, 2017 at 11:11 PM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GFX users

Herb wrote:
Why did you purchase this as opposed to either Canon, Sony or Nikon 50mp cameras?

I wanted a more modern camera system with better image quality; the smaller and cheaper lenses were a nice bonus.

Edited on Sep 23, 2017 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:11 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · GFX users

I have the D850, had the A7rII and have played quite a lot with the GFX 50s. Both the D850 and GFX are superb systems. I would love to have both systems but the GFX cost level in Australia is hard to justify to keep both. My preference is to invest in more lenses for the D850 rather than duplicate my system.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:53 PM
mdelrossi

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · GFX users

I was looking for a camera to have with me all the time, so I tried a Fuji xe2 and fell in love with the lenses and the look of the files. Got an xt2 and found that it could do mostly what my D800 could do.
So when the GFX came out, I sold most of my Nikon gear (kept a few lenses) and got the GFX. Now for the majority of my corporate work I have a lighter system. For the rest of the high end portraits and architecture work I have the GFX.

And yes, with the GFX I have slowed down and I’m enjoying shooting more with it than ever I did with my nikons.

YMMV
mdr

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:13 AM
sputnik
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · GFX users

gdanmitchell wrote:

Again regarding the "working slow" notion, a couple things. First, I have to acknowledge that this is a subjective thing — more or less as you admit — and that logic may not be compelling. Second, from my point of view, recognizing that quite often — even with supposedly slow genres like landscape —
...Show more

Maybe working slowly is poor choice of words (english is not my native language - also hate writing on my phone). I agree that the physical layout of the fuji bodies really allow you to control your camera quickly and preciisely. I feel more in tune and in sync with the Fuji system and EVF than Nikon and OVF at this point in tine. My choice is largely emotional rather than rational in many ways. But then again was one of the few who really enjoyed the Nikon Df and the 58/1.4 for instance. Different strokes for different folks.

Sep 23, 2017 at 05:45 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · GFX users

gdanmitchell wrote:

YMMV.

Since you are old, aren't you slow Dan ?

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · GFX users

kewlcanon wrote:
Since you are old, aren't you slow Dan ?

Older and slower than I once was, but aren't well all? But sometimes I work very quickly when making photographs.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password