New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

AlexDROP
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

Hi FMers,
I'm curious about Nikon D750 AF module in terms of precision with fast primes like Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED.
Could you evaluate from 1 to 10 (where 10 is the best result):
1) how often is it precise with center AF point?
2) how often is it precise with other 14 cross-type AF points (excl. center AF)?
3) how often is it precise with outer AF points (horizontally sensitive)?

Does D750 give always consistent AF precision with fast primes wide open? Or is it hit-or-miss case? How reliable non-crosstype AF points are? Is it fine to use 3D-tracking with 105mm f/1.4E ED and still get good results?
75 Could you share your AF tips with D750 and lenses like 105mm f/1.4E ED or Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S?
Thanks, Alex.

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:08 PM
Smackthatbird

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

It's really good. Better than the D810. I rarely shoot all the way open, but am around f/2 all the time, and it's pretty hard to stump. Would say the center AF point is like... 85% hits, even on AF-C in very low light, and the outer ones are a little lower.

Since I use back-button focusing I don't stray from the crosstypes too often, but can attest that those ones are real good. I think the 105 may be a little slower since it's massive (I don't track with it a ton) but it's definitely accurate. 58 and 35 are incredibly fast.

Seriously, I sold my 810 to replace it with another 750 because the AF was that much better. 810 would miss all the time.

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:37 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

The D750 was probably Nikon's best FF AF effort before the D5/D500/D850 came along which just blow everything else out of the water with the new CAM20K system. The D750 is still very good today, even compared to much newer competition. Pre-2016 it was probably a 9 or a 10. Now it would have to be lower only because the CAM20K AF exists.

I think what you're asking for is too subjective though. It depends on too many factors including the shooter's skill, shooting conditions, the specific lens sample they got, the subject matter, how critical they are (this varies hugely), etc. Two people having identical AF performance might rate it very differently based on those other factors.

The D750 is one of the very few bodies pre-2016 to get -3.0EV AF in the center (-2.0EV at outer points). It is a very accurate body, and it works very well in low light.

No camera will *always* give you flawless AF precision especially at F1.4, but the D750 is very good in that regard. It's very popular with wedding shooters as well who use those types of lenses.

The cross type points are obviously better, and like any camera, AF degrades slightly as you go toward the outer points. This is most noticeable as contrast on the subject degrades. Generally I have no problems using the outer most points on my D810 at wide apertures with very good accuracy, and the D750 is slightly better yet. Comments like that though is about as good as it's going to get, still very subjective as AF is very hard to evaluate objectively - YMMV.

3D tracking works pretty well in the D750, very usable. I use it on my D810 and it will track my niece's eye with good results at F1.8-F2.8. The D750's AF is a bit better yet. Don't expect it to be as good as the D500/D850/D5 though as they are on another level with the 3D tracking where it's evolved to a point where it's entirely usable for professional work.

What camera are you coming from? Perhaps it would be easier to simply tell you if you will see an improvement or not.

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:37 PM
AlexDROP
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

CanadaMark wrote:
What camera are you coming from? Perhaps it would be easier to simply tell you if you will see an improvement or not.

Nice question. Actually I'm "coming from" Canon 6D. I have 16-35/4 L for WA shots and I'm considering Nikon D750 + 70-200/4 VR option as an add-on and to evaluate Nikon eco-system. If it turns to be good then 105/1.4 or 85/1.8 is on my radar (and a few WA primes like 20/35/1.8 or 50/1.4 as well ). Later I plan to sell Canon gear and jump for 16-35/4 VR and one more Nikon body to complete my travel kit (I like 2 body travel kit).

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:12 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

AlexDROP wrote:
Nice question. Actually I'm "coming from" Canon 6D. I have 16-35/4 L for WA shots and I'm considering Nikon D750 + 70-200/4 VR option as an add-on and to evaluate Nikon eco-system. If it turns to be good then 105/1.4 or 85/1.8 is on my radar (and a few WA primes like 20/35/1.8 or 50/1.4 as well ). Later I plan to sell Canon gear and jump for 16-35/4 VR and one more Nikon body to complete my travel kit (I like 2 body travel kit).

The D750 AF is a pretty big improvement from the 6D. I think you will be satisfied there.

The 105/1.4 has turned out to be one of the best primes Nikon makes, so you can't really go wrong if you can afford it. The 85/1.8G you mention is one of the best value lenses in Nikon's lineup, again, can't really go wrong there.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:21 PM
prosumerhacks
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

Just a note of caution: D750 + 70-200 f/4 - VR performance isnít the best especially at slower shutter speeds. D750 has appreciable mirror slap which is very evident with certain lenses and shooting situations.

AlexDROP wrote:

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AlexDROP
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

prosumerhacks wrote:
Just a note of caution: D750 + 70-200 f/4 - VR performance isnít the best especially at slower shutter speeds. D750 has appreciable mirror slap which is very evident with certain lenses and shooting situations.

Thanks. Could you please specify those slow shutter speeds considering 70-200 mm FL?
When I have to handhold my 6D and work with slow SS, I use MLU with 2 sec. delay. At it helps great. I think Nikon approach with 1-3 sec. shutter delay works in the same way and mitigate the issue easily.

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:38 AM
Sigma82

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

I use it with the sigma 35 1.4, and since a couple of days with the 105 1.4. Works great

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM
golfinz
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

What are you trying to use the 105 for? Since it is really meant for portraits, or slow moving people/places/things, you I wouldn't worry too much about the AF mode.

That said, I have no problems with my D750 and 58 or 105 tracking things that aren't moving around too quick ie: our walking dog or people/kids playing around.

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:50 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

Where you can expect the D750 to struggle or fail is when the camera is in the landscape orientation and you are photographing something with a horizontal line of contrast. That is the issue with non cross type AF sensors.

The D750 is a relatively lightweight camera and so it lacks the mass or inertia to dampen mirror slap. I could shoot hand held at much slower shutter speeds with my D3 than I could with my D300 for this reason.

As for VR at slow shutter speeds, I have found myself shooting at church weddings with the 70-200mm lens at 200mm and a shutter speed of 1/10s and having a 50% success rate in terms of image sharpness. Without VR my success rate would have been close to zero with this lens.

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:28 AM
GumaRodak

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

Depends on what you are shooting, the af points location of the d750 is pretty much all points ine the middle. So if you are changing compositions a lot, like me, it could be a problem since you have to use the very outer points, which i think are not good..thecenter point is ok, very good keeper rate... with lenses like 85mm. With 24mm i have some troubles.. since big area is covered and its lottery what the af sensor will pick up from the area .. to be honest, for formal environmental portraits, where subject is at the edge or small, i am realy thinking of tripod and live view focusing...instead of outer f point and recompose

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:45 AM
joefoo
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D750 AF module and f/1.4 primes

elkhornsun wrote:
Where you can expect the D750 to struggle or fail is when the camera is in the landscape orientation and you are photographing something with a horizontal line of contrast. That is the issue with non cross type AF sensors.

I assume you mean one of the outer focus points (it sounds like you're saying there are no cross type points). I've always found the outer points quite usable, at least as good as the D810.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:21 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password