New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

PC for Smooth Photo Editing

gordec

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

Just wondering what everyone is using to edit LR/Photoshop. I'm upgrading to A7Rii from A7ii. My 1 year old Dell XPS15 with i5 and 960m Nvidia card is kind of slow even for the 24mp A7ii pictures. It's going to be even slower with the A7Rii. I'm probably going to just get a desktop setup with i7 and 1070/1080 graphic cards. It's amazing how demanding even Lightroom gets. I would think 1070 is fast enough since I'm not doing any gaming. 1080 may be overkill.

Sean

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:54 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

Unfortunately Lightroom is not well optimized - it's performance is disappointing even on the fastest computers. And it doesn't take much advantage of faster video cards - it's GPU acceleration currently only helps in the develop module for the various adjustments.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:58 PM
aeonsim
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

Probably the biggest performance boost you could get is making sure you have enough RAM (>16GB) and an decent SSD for your lightroom cache. Both are especially important if you use the Panorama function in lightroom. Aside from that Snapsy's comments are spot on lightroom isn't fast even on the best machines. Though have a decent CPU will help abit with the export function.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:36 PM
gordec

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

aeonsim wrote:
Probably the biggest performance boost you could get is making sure you have enough RAM (>16GB) and an decent SSD for your lightroom cache. Both are especially important if you use the Panorama function in lightroom. Aside from that Snapsy's comments are spot on lightroom isn't fast even on the best machines. Though have a decent CPU will help abit with the export function.

Cool. I might try upgrading from 8gb ram to 16gb first.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:58 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

gordec wrote:
Cool. I might try upgrading from 8gb ram to 16gb first.

Yes upgrade to 16...not sure you'll see any gains putting in more than 16.

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

Last year I upgraded my RAM from 12 to 16, operating a Lenovo desktop i-7 3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz. IIRC, I upgraded the graphics card at that time as well. Both items helped, but the cost was starting to push into whether the $ would be better spent on an new PC. Then there is the issue of better 4K monitor(s) on my horizon!

My computing situation is certainly better, but I consider I am still limping along (with occasional lock-ups and crashes), and looking to upgrade to a beefier PC with at least 32 GB of RAM.

I don't think I could manage with an i-5.

HP is coming out with three great looking new desktop models very soon. The least expensive will be the last released, but it looks pretty decent for my needs.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

xnosliw

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

i agree that RAM and storage matter most. i have 16gb and a SSD for all my photos and they work well with lightroom. granted i only work on 20 images at a time, it still smooth

Sep 23, 2017 at 09:39 PM
coase

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

The jump to 16gb RAM made the biggest difference for me. But Lightroom is still too cumbersome for me. I think I'll let my subscription end and fully depend on DxO and Capture One for Sony.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:00 PM
jfourc

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

The problem is Lightroom.

When I built a Windows desktop last year, I thought I would finally have a smooth experience with my A7RII files (uncompressed RAW). I was wrong.

This is my desktop setup:
-Windows 10 Home
-Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 Motherboard
-Intel i7-6700K CPU
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming GPU
-32 GB RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (4x8 GB)
-512 GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe Internal SSD (where Lightroom and Windows is installed, plus camera raw cache)
-500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (where I put pictures I'm working on)
-2x 4 TB HGST Deskstar NAS HD (for pictures I'm done working on, and other storage)

This should be more than enough, but it's not. It still lags quite a bit when loading pictures. This is even with generating 1:1 previews when importing photos, and everything they recommend to increase performance.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:01 AM
Faulta

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

Maybe you should try out capture one, depends on what you're doing it may well be the better choice anyways.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:47 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PC for Smooth Photo Editing

Another vote for moving to Capture One Pro. Remember that you can upgrade from your free Sony Express version to the Capture One Pro (For Sony) for like 50 bucks.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:53 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password