New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

Adam73
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

Anyone notice when shooting the "a9" the auto white balance changes slow?

I was shooting an event outside and shooting in Sun light, and then shade back and forth. When I bring up the camera in the shade the white balance starts to change but takes a couple of seconds to get to where it chooses to be. Once I hang the camera on my Black Rapid strap and pull it up again some times the white balance is way off and then takes even more time to adjust as I'm taking photos.

I hope that makes sense. Does anyone know if this is the charactoristics of the a9? It doesn't do this with my A7ii and A7Rii.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

This is really weird. I have yet to see this but I'll look into it with my A9. I'm a little baffled by this

Adam thanks for asking via PM let me see if I find anything

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:21 PM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

GMPhotography wrote:
This is really weird. I have yet to see this but I'll look into it with my A9. I'm a little baffled by this

Adam thanks for asking via PM let me see if I find anything

Thanks so much. I have searched the web but have not seen anything about it. I tried a friends a9 and it shows the same characteristics.

Try shooting in complete shade with standard AWB point the camera to something that is lit by the sun, and then point it to something in the shade. See how slow the white balance changes.

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:26 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

Great I'll try that exactly

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:29 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

Not sure about the A9 specifically, but do you mean WB visibly changes slowly before you take the photo, or when the photos are taken? Like the colors continue to shift while shooting a burst? My A6300s will change Auto WB slowly in the viewfinder, but once I take a pic, it quickly snaps into proper color.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:23 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

I did not notice anything slow . I can see it shift but it was following it pretty good going from shadow to daylight. Not sure what to think about this. I'm kinda stumped

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timde

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

I don't think this is White Balance, rather, its the live view adapting to the changed brightness. Turning the camera on, with lens cap attached, then removing the lens cap, induces a similar effect.

Live View Effect Setting might help.

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:51 AM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

I'm guessing its the characteristics of live view. At one point I'm shooting an event and the camera goes to sleep, and when I tap the focus button to wake up the camera live view takes a bit to show the proper exposure even when shooting in manual shutter, with manual ISO, and manual aperture. I guess I have to get used to the live view. I have Live view setting turned on.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

Doing events with flash Adam I turn live view off. What that does is give you full gain on your EVF and you can see much better. Just try turning it off in your family room tonight under house lights

Also there it something called Bright Monitoring and just saw a video so I need to try that and see what it does. They where talking about Astro work.

Adam73 wrote:
I'm guessing its the characteristics of live view. At one point I'm shooting an event and the camera goes to sleep, and when I tap the focus button to wake up the camera live view takes a bit to show the proper exposure even when shooting in manual shutter, with manual ISO, and manual aperture. I guess I have to get used to the live view. I have Live view setting turned on.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

Its nice using the Live view to be able to tweak settings while shooting but it does make exposure and white balance change slowly. Kind of disappointing in that regard. I haven't tried turning off the live view effect to see if its the same.

Sep 27, 2017 at 05:24 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

Adam, I am not sure whether you know this or not or actually, whether it helps your case, but Sony just updated the firmware of the A9. You may want to check it out.

Sep 27, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony a9 auto white balance slow?

AGeoJO wrote:
Adam, I am not sure whether you know this or not or actually, whether it helps your case, but Sony just updated the firmware of the A9. You may want to check it out.

I will check my version when I get home from work. I just can't believe that I'm the only one mentioning this.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:48 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password