New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Dell U2413 or U2717D

1nitro901
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dell U2413 or U2717D

I know, not another monitor post... but I'd value some expert / real world advice.

I've been using a a 2007 20" UltraSharp which actually has an IPS screen, along with a really crappy 23" hp just to give me more real estate. I've decided to upgrade and use my old Dell as the 2nd monitor. I needed to keep the cost down and decided in the $400-$500 range.

I do color calibrate my old Dell with a ColorMunki Display and have been quite pleased although I'm sure it won't hold a candle to even one of these entry level monitors. My monitor seems to match my prints from a very good local print house and my Pro-100.

I initially ordered a U2717D but before it was delivered, decided to go with the u2413 as it's wide gamut, 16:10 ratio and still a tad larger than my old Dell. With the 2413 I will need to purchase an i1 Display to calibrate it.

So my questions are, has anyone used both and is it safe to say there is a noticeable difference between the two. Secondly, should I be able to trust the 2413 calibration out of the box or should I get the i1 asap?

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:29 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dell U2413 or U2717D

I haven't used either of the monitors you mention, but as a general rule you should calibrate at least once per month. You should calibrate more frequently if the monitor is not extremely stable (depends on the monitor), the monitor sees lots of use, you are very demanding about color, or you are doing work that demands high color accuracy (like making prints from paintings). Also note that monitor brightness has a huge influence on matching prints to the screen even when colors are very accurate.

The following assumes you were using a fully color managed workflow with your old monitor, meaning a calibrated monitor and appropriate ICC profiles for any prints you made. You could find a print you previously made that was a good match to your your previous display calibrated with the ColorMunki, and see how well it matches the new Dell out of the box. If the match is good chances are so is the calibration of the Dell. You could then wait a while to get the calibration system, but I wouldn't go much over a month or two. If the match is not good the most likely reason would be that the new monitor is not well calibrated, though it's also possible the old monitor didn't calibrate very well. That happens as monitors age. All you really know is that the old monitor matched the print at some point, which in itself doesn't mean the calibration was good.

I hope that helps.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:14 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dell U2413 or U2717D

I just calibrated my NEC 23" ,using Spectraview software and a Colormunki
its been 2 years since I calibrated it last.-prints are an exact match to my monitor,now.
Question for both you guys:
What did you set your brightness level at? ,and,have you looked at NEC monitor?

Mike

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:42 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dell U2413 or U2717D

mikek200 wrote:
I just calibrated my NEC 23" ,using Spectraview software and a Colormunki
its been 2 years since I calibrated it last.-prints are an exact match to my monitor,now.
Question for both you guys:
What did you set your brightness level at? ,and,have you looked at NEC monitor?

Mike

I use 100 cd/m2 on a NEC PA series monitor.

Sep 23, 2017 at 05:09 AM
srikum
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dell U2413 or U2717D

I used 2413 and felt color quality is substantial compared to my other dell monitors (regular Dell s series not ultra sharp ones)

Then I got NEC PA 27. Difference between NEC and my 2413 is not day and night as it was between 2413 and other regular Dell S series monitors to me.

In my experience, 2413 is the way to go unless you want a bigger 27" version 2713. You may be OK for some time without calibrating it on day one but eventually, you need i1 Display Pro.

Edited on Oct 10, 2017 at 12:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:00 AM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dell U2413 or U2717D

Srikum-Thanks for your reply & info.
I'm really limited as what I really need,as I have everything on a small desktop setup.
Right now,I'm staying with my 23' NEC
Good luck to you ,on your move.

Mike

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.