New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

longevity of AF and VR

Davidus

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · longevity of AF and VR

Hi, I recently bought a second-hand 70-200 vrII from 2012. It really looks like new but the AF is not completely silent like on a new one. It works but it makes a small noise (like on the 70-300 I had a couple of years ago). Moreover, the vr system does not completely freeze the image in the viewfinder and even if it works, I find that it is not as efficient as it should be (I compared with a new one).
Do you know if the AF and the VR could become less efficient and noisy when they get old or should I suspect a hidden damage? Should I send it to Nikon to check these functions?

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:15 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · longevity of AF and VR

A 5 year old lens should function as new. I would not worry about a small noise from AF, that can be normal, but VR should work. If in doubt, let Nikon look it over.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM
PabloSRT8
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · longevity of AF and VR

I learned my lesson a long time ago.
My 200-400mm f4 I purchased used a long time ago would make a little sound that would go away after auto-focusing twice or three times; If I didn't use it for a week it would do the same thing and then go away right away.
I purchase a 300mm 2.8f that had a tiny little mark on the glass... and guess what, I've never see it on any of my D800 pictures zooming in at 100%.
I also had a used 300mm f4 that made made noise, and guess what... it worked for many years and the af was dead on.
So when you see a lens that's a bargain for little things like that, you should jump on it right away. The only problem would be if you try selling them and having to explain how it doesn't affect the image...
That was for noise and glass.
Now for the VR not working correctly, I wonder if the connectors need cleaning... or if it was dropped? Did you try it on a different camera? Is the battery full? is the battery made by Nikon?
I'd only be worry with the VR because what if it actually works against you and makes your pictures blurry?
It should really be a bargain for me to purchase this one.
Ps, my 70-200 vr2 is that old and it still works like the day I bought it new.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:52 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · longevity of AF and VR

I've discovered that VR repairs can get expensive.

Kent in SD

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · longevity of AF and VR

Go to a local shop and try out there copy... some VR systems are NOT silent. I wouldn't jump to a conclusion but would do my due diligence.

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:49 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · longevity of AF and VR

Everything you describe sounds very normal to me. VR is always audible, does not completely freeze the frame of the viewfinder, and I have never owned a lens where I couldn't hear the AF. The majority of lenses last an extremely long time, and Nikon in particular is rather confident about that given that they provide you a warranty five times longer than the competition.

When you compared the VR to a new one, was it the newest FL version? That definitely has better VR than the VRII. To objectively evaluate the VR you would need a very controlled, identical setup between the two lenses anyway - it would be hard to do because keeping your own motion a constant in the test would be extremely difficult.

When AF motors start to fail, they typically squeal. You'd know if you heard it.

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:45 PM
Davidus

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · longevity of AF and VR

According to your comments, I should worried about it too much but I think that I will send it to Nikon for a check-up.
@CanadaMark: I've compared with a vrII as well, not with the latest FL
@PabloSRT8: I don't have another body to test but the battery was full and from Nikon. You're right, I will check if the connectors need to be cleaned

Thanks guys for your answers!

Sep 23, 2017 at 07:15 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password