New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ZA Teardown

BlueBomberTurbo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ZA Teardown

Had to happen sooner or later. And of course, on my most expensive lens. Dropped it onto pavement or concrete (right at the edge of a walkway, so not sure which) at a wedding this weekend. Being the adventurous sort, I took to disassembling the lens in an attempt to get to the failure, a displaced aperture blade:

On the bright side, I was able to keep shooting throughout the rest of the day with the lens, since I mostly shoot wide open with it. Finally fully jammed at the end of the day, though, so I had to dive in. I'll probably send it out to get the aperture section put back in shape, as everything in there is microscopic and springy. Just thought nosy people like me would be interested to see what's going on inside our lenses.

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:52 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ZA Teardown

Too bad it wasn't something that could be easily fixed. Thanks for posting!

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:26 AM
PhilthePhrame

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ZA Teardown

Wow. Sorry you dropped the lens but at least it "donated its body to science."
I was amazed to see all the electoniics in there.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ZA Teardown

Just a quick update:

I put the lens back together without the aperture blades. And it works! Aperture motor sounds slightly different without the blades' resistance. It notices the exposure discrepancy at about F/4 and switches to CDAF for some reason, but still focuses fast and accurately, but bouncy. Of course, there's no reason to tell the camera to stop a lens down that doesn't have aperture blades. The lens should be fine for the wedding this weekend (I shoot it at 1.8 most of the time), but I'll bring along my Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS as a backup, and for group shots.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:40 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ZA Teardown

Strange, seems that just one blade jumps off. Did you try to force it back?
Looks so easy from here....

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:30 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ZA Teardown

rsrsrs wrote:
Strange, seems that just one blade jumps off. Did you try to force it back?
Looks so easy from here....

I wish it was that easy. You can see in the last picture, and the 3rd to last, that the assembly is held together with 3 screws. One on the front, two on the back holding the motor as well. Remove those, and all that's left is a small clip. Unfortunately, as soon as you can pry the assembly open enough to push the blade back in (posts on each side of the blade require it), the other blades fly out of position, as well.

At that point, it's incredibly hard to see what's going on, as the blades are attached to extremely tiny posts and even tinier springs (think hair thickness). Not to mention one of the microscopic springs also popped out, and they're tensioned against super small posts inside. Way too small for me to work with.

Maybe I'll pick up the right tools to work on it in when wedding season dies down, but I do heavily depend on this lens on the dance floor for its crazy fast AF and wider FOV, so I'll still need it to be available and working at F/1.8 for a while longer.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password