New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

stratmoj

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

What are some good options for back packs for telephoto lenses? The gear that I am trying to carry are a 600mm f/4, 300mm f/4 and one or two gripped bodies. The Moose Peterson MP-1 looks like a good option, although, not surprisingly, it is enormous and looks like a suitcase with shoulder straps. Are there any other good options for carrying large lenses?

Thanks,

Jason

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:23 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

Mindshift 40L? I don't mean to plug, but I have a brand new one for sale right now.

I bought it initially to house my 500L and camera, which it does comfortably. It should also fit the 300L as well, but not sure if it can be attached to a second camera body. Let me know if interested and/or need pictures for comparison's sake.

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

The Big Lens Bag™, http://www.vertexphoto.com/biglensbag/

Awesome bag. Simple problem to attach a 300/4 and a couple of bodies. John is open to customization. I had pinch-clip closures added to all exterior pockets, in order to avoid using noisy velcro (which was still in place, but covered a 'dummy' layer, for when I don't want to use it).

Great for shooting from a car (with custom straps around the seat back, and zip-down front corners for easy access), or for carting around on your back, with the big lens all ready to go, with hood in shooting position.

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:51 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

Hiking or airports?

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

dgdg wrote:
Hiking or airports?

Good question. The Big Lens Bag is not a good choice for airplane carry-on. They wouldn't let you do it, anyway. OTOH, for carrying-to, and shooting-from, it's awesome.

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:30 PM
stratmoj

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

Thanks! Mainly looking for hiking around. I have the Think Tank International, which seems good for plane travel. However, I've been thinking about taking a safari, which I understand requires soft-sided luggage. So the Think Tank is out for that...

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:36 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

Another vote for the Mindshift 40L. It is probably just big enough for what you want. Its carry system is not as good as a real backpack, but still is reasonable. Look over their examples of layouts with different gear to get a better idea of if your planned load will fit. The 40L is built pretty well, and should meet domestic carry on. Not sure about foreign carry on or a safari, which might need a smaller bag. But you might not want to take two big lenses on a safari trip. One big lens, some extenders, and a smaller zoom like a 100-400 with its own body is perhaps better for safari, and may fit in a smaller bag. You know you can not have too many photographic bags, right?

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

What I did was use the think tank international to get in country. Store it at the Hotel which typically you are at the first night and the last night. Put things like the camera bags into a checked duffle and transfer things into soft luggage at hotel. I've also changed the role of my think tank into an overnight bag once in country.

these comments refer to a 600mm lens on safari. On safari, it is nice to be able to bungee cord the bag to your seat standing upright. Most bags are not designed so you can pull ithe lens out vertically without hitting the roof or have the necessary tie point for a bungee cord. The vertex bag was designed specifically for safari work by Joe and Mary McDonald who over the years have lead I'd guess something like 100 tours there. That said, I only use it for safari. The think tank long lens bag is my true backpack choice (anticipate hiking a considerable distance with a 600mm only which I very rarely do) or the Kinesis bag for car work where I don't anticipate actually shooting from the car. Gura Gear bags were safari designed and I use them but they take up a lot of space on the seat and will not fit a 600 with a lens mounted. I use that or the street walker pro for smaller gear like the 300 or for safari a 28-300 zoom. Frankly, most of the time I carry the 600 mounted on a tripod over my shoulder.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:11 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

I never used the bag I brought with me to Kruger. Used it only to and from on the plane. Gura Gear worked with my 500 on a Nikon D800. Never have had the privilege of owning the 600 so I am not much help. I found the space on the safari vehicle not large enough to add the bag. Carried the 500/body on my lap most of the time.

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:24 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

The Gura Gear 32L will hold the gear but it is not designed for hiking. Great for stowing easily in a vehicle or slipping it into the overhead bin of even small commuter jets. On my last trip the 32L with its contents weighed in at 37 lbs. and after that I decided to rethink what I had been doing.

The carry-on allowed is one piece of "luggage" at 14x8x22 and one "personal" carryon that cannot be larger than 14 x 10 x 17 inches. A 18L backpack meats the personal bag requirements and I can put 10-15 lbs. of gear in it and have much less weight in the 32L backpack.

All I need then in the 32L backpack is the 600mm f/4 and either the 80-400mm or the 200-500mm lens. My other gear can go into the 18L backpack (netbook, two teleconverters, 200mm macro, batteries, flash, etc.).

The only thing to avoid with this approach is a aisle seat or the first row in a plane as in both cases you lose the space under the seat in front of you to stow the 18L bag.

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:45 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

GURA GEAR is no longer as they bought out Tamrac. They still have a 32L but it has been redesigned.

https://www.tamrac.com/collections/gura-gear

Oct 08, 2017 at 02:46 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

I do use the Gura Gear Bataflea for airplane travel also. 3 camera bodies, 600mm ver2, 100-400mm,24-105mm, 2x & 1.4X. I also pack a lensCoat long lens bag in checked luggage. Folds flat and is able to keep the body on the 600mm. Can be strapped to a seat for a vertical drop in.

Oct 08, 2017 at 09:29 PM
marsh9077

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

Another vote for the Mindshift 40L

I purposely bought it because it fits a 500L V2 with a 1dx2 attached and that only takes up half the bag. The other half I can fit a 100-400 V2 with another 1dx2 attached, a 7d2 body, and 2x & 1.4x along with a 16-35 v2. Its not light but its still manageable and it meets carry on size requirements. Only time I have had issues is on sketchy Asian airlines where they give you a really hard time about carry one weight.

Oct 13, 2017 at 04:37 AM
Morgo

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backpack for Long / Telephoto Lens

I also use original Gura Gear 32L and 26L bags. Not so keen on the new versions though.

You can find them for sale still, great bags.

The 32L will hold my 600 f4 IS in one side and my 200-400 1.4x with 1D body attached in the other. Take out the 2-4 and you have plenty of room for another body, 70-200 or 100-400 etc

Nov 10, 2017 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.