New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Suggestions on a6500 settings for an airshow

jawjr1957

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions on a6500 settings for an airshow

I just got the FE 100-400, my first long zoom lens, as I want to expand beyond just taking landscape photos. I plan on going to the Miramar Air Show here in San Diego tomorrow and want to get some help in the camera settings for photographing the action. The Blue Angels practiced their routine today so I went into my backyard to also practice photographing them. Their routine was a hell of a lot better than mine I used the following settings on my a6500:

Drive Mode: Continuous Shooting
Focus Mode: Continuous AF
Focus Area: Expandable Flexible Spot
OSS On using Mode 2

After that I wasn't sure about some of the settings like AF Illuminator (Off), AF w/shutter (On). I'm sure there are other settings that have an impact that I have at the default.

This site has been a wealth of information for a rookie like me, so I'm hoping leverage your experience for this type of shooting.

Thanks in advance

john

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:32 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions on a6500 settings for an airshow

I go to airshows 6-7 times a year. Last month I went to an airshow with an a6500+ FE 100-400, and a Nikon D500+Sigma 150-600mm Sports. I used the Nikon most of the time. In my brief usage of the A6500, the EVF still had a bit of delay so the fast planes may be actually out of the frame when you still see them in the frame. My suggestion would be to anticipate where the planes are heading, which is pretty easy and predictable.

Also try different AF modes on other performers before the Blue Angels so you have an idea what works better. I found that if I let the A6500 choose, it often focused on the smoke trails other than on the planes.

Good luck and have fun. The Blue Angels are the best!

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:03 AM
Parariss
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions on a6500 settings for an airshow

Mode 2 is for panning on a tripod. Mode 1 is handheld/general use. Stabilization should be off altogether if you're static on a tripod, and it might as well be off if you're shooting at high shutter speeds. I've heard some people say stabilization actually undermines sharpness at fast speeds; haven't run into that, personally.

Try lock on spot AF mode (requires AF-C) fr flying planes. Avoid AF-C for static subjects.

AF illuminator helps the camera focus in low light at shortish distances by turning on a little flashlight. Irrelevant here.

AF with shutter means the camera focuses when you half press the shutter button.

Try shutter priority. Not sure how fast you need the shutter to be to stop the motion of a Blue Angel, but maybe it's 1/2000.

Have fun.

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:29 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions on a6500 settings for an airshow

High SS for jets but low for props in order to get a prop blur. Will you be on the flight line? Panning while shooting becomes somewhat important. Unfortunately it requires practice to maintain the focal point on target as you swing / follow the action. Proper exposure of a plane against a bright sky is tricky. Depending on equipment and experience you might consider over exposing by a stop.

Note the f-stop on the P-51 - didn't have my variable ND filter that day so the only way to get the shutter slowed down was with a very small ap.

Matt

Thunderbirds

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    160mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    640 ISO    +0.3 EV  

P-51C Mustang

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    320mm    f/18.0    1/125s    125 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:37 PM
Parariss
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions on a6500 settings for an airshow

schlotz wrote:
High SS for jets but low for props in order to get a prop blur. Will you be on the flight line? Panning while shooting becomes somewhat important. Unfortunately it requires practice to maintain the focal point on target as you swing / follow the action. Proper exposure of a plane against a bright sky is tricky. Depending on equipment and experience you might consider over exposing by a stop.

Note the f-stop on the P-51 - didn't have my variable ND filter that day so the only way to get the shutter slowed down was with a very small
...Show more

Really nice job grabbing that Mustang so sharply at only 1/125!

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:50 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password