New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

darrellc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

So all these listings showed up on Seattle Craigslist this am with prices too good to be true. Here’s one of them: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pho/d/nikon-dmp-lens-nikkor-tamron/6315008274.html

D750 with 4500 shots and under warranty into 2018. Tamron 24-70 VC, Nikon 50/1.4, SB-910, Grip, etc. for $1700. Other listings equally suspect.

I sent email and here’s the response:

———

Hi,

I'm sorry, at the moment I'm out of the city because of my job. I travel a lot, so I don't have time to use it. I'II come back after 5-6 weeks.
Camera in mint condition no any issues, I can guarantee.
I took camera with myself, so it's possible to ship it now. Would you cover shipping cost or you prefer to split it?
By the way, where are you located?
Any question welcome.
I can share more photos, if you need?

Thank you

———

Be careful out there, and if the price is too good to be true...

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM
voodoo1694
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

These kinds of Craigslist scams have been going on since the inception of Craiglist. Where have you been?

But seriously, thanks... I guess people new to craigslist or any online classifieds should be aware.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Watashotpete

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

I am from Seattle and this particular scammer ads started about 3 months ago, posting high end camera and lens on both Nikon and Canon....canon EF200-400mm with 1.4x for 2400.00 lol. I was Vacationing in Europe when I responded to his 1DX for 2100 it was the only 1Dx posted and that time so I don't have any idea of being a scam, I got the same reply from above post he he, I ignore the email and did not bother at all replying.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:20 AM
campy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

I think everyone who reads this should reply to his ad. I am doing it now.
I just sent this.

I am interested in the camera, but unfortunately I am out of town on business. If you could ship it C.O.D I will have the check waiting for the delivery man with an extra $25 for you

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:07 PM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

The photo and text are almost certainly lifted from a genuine posting somewhere else - not necessarily CL.
If you have time to do a google image search you might well find the source.

I have had my shots "borrowed" on CL but as far as I know only by a seller to lazy to take his own.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:18 PM
bargainguy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

One tipoff is that the "seller" doesn't mention which version the 50/1.4 Nikkor is. The box looks like the G version, but except for the group pic, it could be anything from an older manual focus, AF, AF-D, G, etc. Someone who used it would actually know which version they had and why it makes a difference to specify.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:39 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

Common scam in the NE is a Canon 5D3 for $1001or $1005. Just call 408-647-8132 (Do NOT call that number...) Sometimes it lists a Canon 5D3, sometimes a Canon 3, sometimes it shows the 5D3 but mentions a 430EX. Weird but obviously a scam. You'd think that they would try to disguise it.

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:23 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

campy wrote:
I think everyone who reads this should reply to his ad. I am doing it now.
I just sent this.

I am interested in the camera, but unfortunately I am out of town on business. If you could ship it C.O.D I will have the check waiting for the delivery man with an extra $25 for you

I received the same response word for word.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:51 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

Same thing has been going on the SF bay area CL. It's tricky out there!

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:50 PM
argar
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

This is a common CL scam in every US state, be careful folks.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:54 PM
ctixklap

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

I just got a scam message yesterday in the opposite situation selling some camera gear and got a reply asking me to ship my item because they are out of town while they pay me through paypal. I'm assuming they chargeback after they receive the item if they even send payment.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

i got a response to an ad on a "craigslist" type classified website that is heavily used here in SLC, but received a text message.

they had the same type of response. we went back and forth - they were quick to respond to me. I knew it was a scam, but entertained them after some googling, i found out their name and the area where they lived. I texted them back stating this info, and never received a response back. wonder why?

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:00 PM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

I listed a video camera on craigslist once. No interest, then I get an email from a guy half way across the country wanting me to ship it. I said no thanks. He replied back offering $50 on top of my asking price + shipping costs. I knew it was some kind of scam, but I was greedy, I guess, so I agreed.

Got paid. Shipped the cam. No issues. I was almost disappointed.

Not sure why I posted that...

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

Yesterday I received a response for a lens that I have posted on CL. Via text, person wanted it and wanted it shipped overnight. I told them how much it would cost and then they wanted it shipped by two-day UPS. They asked for a couple of photos sent to them, which I did via G+ photos and the images were the same as in the CL ad. They said they would pay by PayPal and I sent them my PayPal address for payment and my name (stupidly). I was assuming that they wanted some kind of assurance that I was not a scammer by my sending the photos and the person wanting my name. Money was never sent and obviously the lens was not sent either. I hope that it was not an identity theft scam.

I was able to find the person whose name was on the CL email on FB. He is in Ontario, Canada (corresponds with the area code of the phone number). Person had asked about shipping to Maryland. Anyway, the nature of the FB posts and photos led me to believe that this is not a good person.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

campy's got it right: "Sir, I am in town for the next week. Please ship overnight and I'll inspect it and, if it is as you say, I'll send you a Western Union Telegram from Nigeria."

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OCraigslist Scam in Seattle

Telegram?

EBH

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.