FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lost Snow Goose!

Paulspix
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lost Snow Goose!

I'm 81 years old and have lived in eastern Iowa and N/E Illinois all my life and have never before seen a snow goose. A couple of days ago I saw this fellow off in in recently planted field with a huge flock of local Canadian geese although not being very cozy with them .. ... I guess its just a case of the wild goose going where the wild goose goes.

Misplaced Snow Goose

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lost Snow Goose!

A nice find Paul ~ Ron

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lost Snow Goose!

What Ron said. Good catch.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:51 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lost Snow Goose!

It probably was separated from its flock and joined up with some canada geese as they will show it how to survive in warmer weather. We had an injured one do this and it was so strange to see one in July.

good looking photo and I like that you show it with the Canada as it shows the difference in size.

Morris

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:30 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lost Snow Goose!

This is very strange and two friends differ on the I/D of this white goose. One says it is a (leucistic?, my term) Canada goose and another friend says it's a domestic goose. This goose always hangs around with the Canada geese, flies with them and sure looks like one of them except for the coloration. Could it also be a stray Snow goose? Kinda early in the season for that species in these parts (although a smaller Ross goose was spotted in another local park a couple of years ago around the same time of year). One characteristic of the snow goose is its "grin patch" which is absent here.

A hybrid of some kind? You be the judge.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:39 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.