New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Fuji file structure

J.Andrew

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji file structure

Hi,

I helped out today with some T & I shooting today with my XT-2 and was writing my file names down on the kids forms. When I got back and went to save the images, I have multiple folders on my cards. Any reason why? I have created a custom name of my files in camera, but that wasn't showing until I put on computer. When writing down files is was showing as example 204-4272 and not my custom name? I figured it was folder + image number, but opening multiple folders is interesting as I didn't have that with my Canon's. I know I read somewhere that during video it created multiple folders but how about the stills? Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Jay

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:50 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji file structure

Jay, I've seen that same thing but don't know what the first three digits represent. At least the final four match the file name. I haven't noticed multiple folders on the card... will have to check.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:01 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji file structure

DougVaughn wrote:
Jay, I've seen that same thing but don't know what the first three digits represent. At least the final four match the file name. I haven't noticed multiple folders on the card... will have to check.

Thanks for responding Doug. The first three digits definitely are the file folders. I had two of them today on my card. I have my custom name set as Jay1 which is weird to me that I can't see that in camera. The last pic I took today when I hit the play button on camera is 204-4272. It evidently swapped folders at 203-3999 and then the the next pic taken is 204-4001. Any ideas?

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM
AZ Photo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji file structure

This is how it appears to work:

The file name consists of the prefix you have chosen followed by a 4 digit sequential number.

The number showing on the camera during playback is 999_8888 where 999 is the folder number and 8888 is the 4 digit sequential number.

The folder name on card the consists of 999_FUJI where 999 is the folder number.

Assuming you have the camera set to write continuous file numbers (Set-Up=>Save Data Setting=>Frame No=>Continuous) then the 4 digit number will continue to increase until it reaches 9999 when it rolls over to 0001.

The strange thing is that the camera appears to create a new folder, not when the file number rolls over at 9999 but when the last 3 digits roll over from 999 to 000 (such as 0999 to 1000).

When you finally run out of folder numbers and file numbers at 999_9999 you will get an error and have to reset the numbers to continue.

It is possible to reset folder and file numbers using Set-Up=>Save Data Setting=>Frame No=>Renew and then format the card.

And you can see your custom name in the camera - its in Setup=>Save Data Setting=>Edit File Name - although it doesn't show in the LCD screen during playback.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:50 AM
J.Andrew

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji file structure

AZ Photo wrote:
This is how it appears to work:

The file name consists of the prefix you have chosen followed by a 4 digit sequential number.

The number showing on the camera during playback is 999_8888 where 999 is the folder number and 8888 is the 4 digit sequential number.

The folder name on card the consists of 999_FUJI where 999 is the folder number.

Assuming you have the camera set to write continuous file numbers (Set-Up=>Save Data Setting=>Frame No=>Continuous) then the 4 digit number will continue to increase until it reaches 9999 when it rolls over to 0001.

The strange thing is that the camera
...Show more

Thanks. Is it possible that when I changed the battery it created the new folder from 203-xxxx to the 204-xxxx? But why did it miss 204-4000? It went from the 203-3999 to 204-4001.

-Jay

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:45 AM
AZ Photo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji file structure

I doubt changing batteries would have any effect.

The numbering starts at 0001 rather than 0000 and when it rolls over from 9999 to goes to 0001 rather than 0000 so they probably use the same logic in rolling over from 3999.

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:54 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.