New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

New import vs used.

tevans9129

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New import vs used.

All comments welcome...I am looking for a D810 with reasonably low shutter count, <20k, for strictly hobby photography. My decision is should I hold out for a used USA model with no warranty which seems to run a couple hundred dollars of a new import with a one-year sellers warranty? I am aware that Nikon will not repair import models but there are other respected repair centers that will.

Resale value is not a concern for me and neither is the warranty. Nothing I own ever fails while under warranty so I must pay anyway.

Thanks for your opinions.

Ted

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:43 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New import vs used.

Fortunately the D810 is on the Nikon USA authorized third-party repair list, so you can get them worked on by Nikon-authorized centers (just not Nikon). That said, I would recommend at least a 20% discount for a new grey-market body vs a low-mileage used USA model.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:47 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New import vs used.

I always go for used US model. Always used. D810 currently selling for ~$1,600 on ebay. Still too high for me: they are certainly going lower in coming months.

Kent in SD

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:07 AM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New import vs used.

I don't think they are going to drop much below $1,600 for a mint one from a good seller anytime soon. And I would buy here, not eBay. I recently sold my mint, low shutter count one here for $1,795. Now is the time to buy as people sell to buy a D850. Price could actually creep up a little bit after the excess supply leaves the market.

Jerry

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:09 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New import vs used.

gdsf2 wrote:
I don't think they are going to drop much below $1,600 for a mint one from a good seller anytime soon. And I would buy here, not eBay. I recently sold my mint, low shutter count one here for $1,795. Now is the time to buy as people sell to buy a D850. Price could actually creep up a little bit after the excess supply leaves the market.

Jerry

Very few have a D850 yet, so there are relatively few D810 for sale. Prices on used gear are typically at low ebb the first of February. I predict $1,200 D810 by the end of the year, as more D850 begin shipping. Prices will drop even more.

Kent in SD

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:20 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New import vs used.

The bet is on

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New import vs used.

We're already getting close with <$1,500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D810-36-3MP-DSLR-Camera-Body-Accessories-2-Batteries-7-Memory-Cards-/162661340748?epid=219491826&hash=item25df5f164c:g:vXEAAOSwJb5Zr1QG

Kent in SD

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New import vs used.

Used US model from these forums every time. No question vs an import IMHO.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:55 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New import vs used.

I tend to think D810/800e prices won't drop further for a bit- the market is flooded at the moment with everyone dumping theirs to free up capital for the 850. Lenses... I'd probably buy a good copy used, bodies I'd buy import/new.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:59 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New import vs used.

For me it would be US used versus an import. I know you said resale isn't important but when you do sell the import will be tougher to sell.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:14 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New import vs used.

I would want a camera that could be repaired by Nikon and not a third party. Take time to check the complaints and problems people have experienced with these companies. As the seller of the warranty picks the company and is going to pick the lowest cost outfit you are not really getting a warranty that you can count on.

I would buy a used USA camera with a low shutter count. Anything you buy on the used market has been working for its owner. But then I do not like to take a chance on something that is expensive.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:34 PM
nuclearjock
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New import vs used.

Another data point. Sold to my son's friend:
Mint++ 5k clicks D810, Nikon grip. $1800.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New import vs used.

It doesn't matter. If you pay for an extended warranty or 3rd party warranty the camera will not fail. If you don't get a warranty in probably will not fail yet the chancers are higher that it will. This is after the initial 90 days as this is when things fail.

Morris

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:49 AM
tevans9129

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New import vs used.

Thanks to all for the input, much appreciated. I purchased a used USA model with 5k shutter count but it was not the deal that Nuclearjock's son got although it did have some extras included.

The reason that I even considered the import model was because I had purchased a used D800e with <500 shutter count and came as if from retail but failed after 9k count. It was the only camera that I have ever had to send in for repair. It would not recognize the SD card.

My luck exactly Morris.

Thanks again everyone.

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password