New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D850 image deletion issue

Hillrg`
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850 image deletion issue

I've been shooting with the D850 for a few days without any issues, but today I had the weirdest thing happen. The Sony XQD 128Gb G card had 8 images from last night that I had downloaded. I left them on the card when I went shooting today. I shot in both mechanical and live view modes and regularly chimped the results, so they were readable on the card in the camera then. I also shot a number of short focus stacks. I do not have focus shift shooting set to create new folders. When I got home and started to review the shots on the card with Photo Mechanic I could only see the 8 shots from last night. I put the card back in my camera and same thing - only 8 shots. Where did all of today's shots go?

I ran Image Rescue 5 and managed to recover the images from today - they must have been deleted. Now I may have made some user error although it beats me what I could have done. I've been shooting Nikon DSLRs since the D1 and I've never had a problem like this before.

Anyway, I thought I would post this in case someone can think of what I may have done or someone else also experiences this.

Regards
Rory

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:38 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850 image deletion issue

Did the image recovery utility report that the images were deleted during the recovery? I had this happen once on a D750 - batches of images were missing from the card even though they were available at the time of shooting. Turned out to be a bad body - was corrupting cards.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:42 PM
Hillrg`
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850 image deletion issue

I didn't notice a report. I'll check and recover again if necessary to review the report.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:44 PM
Hillrg`
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850 image deletion issue

No report available for Image Rescue Pro it appears.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:50 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850 image deletion issue

Hillrg` wrote:
When I got home and started to review the shots on the card with Photo Mechanic I could only see the 8 shots from last night. I put the card back in my camera and same thing - only 8 shots. Where did all of today's shots go?

Are you on OS X? If so you may have forgotten to "Eject" the memory card rather than just physically pulling it out. Their filesystem is the *absolute worst*; if you don't "Eject" a card, anything new on it has a decent chance of being deleted the next time you insert it.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:14 PM
Hillrg`
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850 image deletion issue

Lee Saxon wrote:
Are you on OS X? If so you may have forgotten to "Eject" the memory card rather than just physically pulling it out. Their filesystem is the *absolute worst*; if you don't "Eject" a card, anything new on it has a decent chance of being deleted the next time you insert it.

You know, that is a possibility. I think I used the card in my mac last night. I try to always eject but I might have forgotten. Today, when I discovered the problem I was using my PC.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Hillrg`
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850 image deletion issue

No issue today so I think Lee was right. Many thanks Lee for the help!

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.