Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

Smousefam5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

I'm thinking of letting my 85 1.8D go to free up some cash but not sure getting rid of it is necessarily the best thing so looking for opinions. I currently have an 80-200 2.8D (two ring), a Nikon 28-70 2.8, a Tokina 100 macro, and a 50 1.4D (among others). With that lineup it seems the 85 is expendable without giving up much.

To me, it seems the two zooms would cover any portraiture I would be doing. Any thoughts?

Sep 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

I believe from what you have described that yes, the 85 is rather redundant in your setup. You have the zoom so you only get just over a stop more of speed and the macro can get you closer which will give you similar dof since you can get tighter.

If you need the money for other things ... I don't think you will miss the 85, considering the other lenses in your kit.

I've got the 60 and 105 micro and that takes care of any normal portrait needs I have. I never resort to the zoom, the 80-200 for any portraits. If I add a 35 F 1.8 and 300 F 4.0 and I can get just about any sort of "people" shot I ever need.

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:43 PM
Coltrayne
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

Let me knowif you want to, please

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:00 PM
Smousefam5
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

Coltrayne wrote:
Let me knowif you want to, please

What?

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

The whole thing is to match the gear to what you are doing/shooting. Are you actually doing portraits? Exactly what do you mean by "portraits?" To me that means an outing with specific people to a specific location with the sole mission being to take photos of those people, generally using flash/modifiers/reflectors. How often do you do that? How often have you used the 85mm for that? I once had the Nikon 85mm f1.8G, a very nice lens, and I shoot (paid) portraits for families on location. Often they have small children. I found the 70-200mm f2.8 much faster to use and more versatile. I hardly ever used the 85mm. So, I sold it. My general rule is if I haven't used something in a year, I sell it. I put the cash into something else I already know I will use. Your photos should be telling you what you need to do.

Kent in SD

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Smousefam5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

Two23 wrote:
Are you actually doing portraits? Exactly what do you mean by "portraits?" To me that means an outing with specific people to a specific location with the sole mission being to take photos of those people, generally using flash/modifiers/reflectors. How often do you do that?

I am not doing that professionally, though I may work towards that at some point. It is mainly family (especially grandkids) but it is purposeful and intentional with flash and modifiers, though I do love the candids of lifestyle photography outside in open woods around the property we live on. I have used the 85 some but am finding that I mostly use the 80-200 (usually in the 135-200mm range).

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:31 AM
Bruce_T
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

Sounds like you would not miss the 85/1.8D for the way you shoot.

I have an 85/1.8G and 70-200/4 and use them for different purposes. The 70-200/4 is for fast action and outdoor portraits, usually casual family stuff. I use the 85/1.8G when I want a smaller, lighter, less obtrusive kit, when shooting indoors / low light, and when I want shallow depth of field indoors.

How long has it been since you used the 85/1.8D?

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:31 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

I generally agree, but with two caveats. The 85 will probably focus better than the zooms you listed in low light because it will simply have more to work with. If that is something you value, then maybe it could still be useful. The second caveat is that it isn't worth much to sell. You'll be able to see what others in the same condition as yours have sold for, but there is a chance it might be more valuable to keep even for occasional use.

I guess that is how all transactions work: would you rather have X sum of money or Y good?

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:29 AM
Smousefam5
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is my 85mm 1.8D extraneous?

Bruce_T wrote:
Sounds like you would not miss the 85/1.8D for the way you shoot.

I have an 85/1.8G and 70-200/4 and use them for different purposes. The 70-200/4 is for fast action and outdoor portraits, usually casual family stuff. I use the 85/1.8G when I want a smaller, lighter, less obtrusive kit, when shooting indoors / low light, and when I want shallow depth of field indoors.

How long has it been since you used the 85/1.8D?

It has been about 3 months since I used it. I do like the size/weight of it and when combined with my 35 (or 24) it makes for nice little kit. As much I love the 80-200 it is big, heavy, and cumbersome.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:24 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.