New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

I got (2) D500's for about the price of (1) gripped D850.
The 10 fps is huge for me and I have the D810/800's if
I need FX. I couldn't live with just one camera, YMMV.

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:14 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

For me, the D850 is by far the better camera than a D500....bright FX viewfinder, 2x the pixels and little if anything lost in terms of AF performance and speed (when using grip). Combining my D810 and D500 into a single, superior camera is best for me...and the upgrade cost will be very reasonable taking into account the money I'll get back when I sell my D810 & D500. The D850 is the camera I always wanted from Nikon, but never thought they'd make.

Oct 06, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Spectro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Gary Irwin wrote:
For me, the D850 is by far the better camera than a D500....bright FX viewfinder, 2x the pixels and little if anything lost in terms of AF performance and speed (when using grip). Combining my D810 and D500 into a single, superior camera is best for me...and the upgrade cost will be very reasonable taking into account the money I'll get back when I sell my D810 & D500. The D850 is the camera I always wanted from Nikon, but never thought they'd make.

I have done this without regret except I require two cameras. I wasn't making use of the D810 as much as I planned due to time issues. Since it was my personal camera it sat in the bag most of the time. So now I have the D850 as the replacement to my D810 and D500. It works as a 2nd camera to my D5 (and as primary in certain situations) for my sports work and doubles as my personal camera. Works just right for me.

Oct 06, 2017 at 08:39 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

henry albert wrote:
Can you provide some examples of the images you take "out in the field"?

Why do you keep asking him to show you his work? That is just weird. It is a liitle like stalking. If you have something you want to say then just say it already.

Oct 06, 2017 at 08:46 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

gdsf2 wrote:
Why do you keep asking him to show you his work? That is just weird. It is a liitle like stalking. If you have something you want to say then just say it already.

I keep asking because I want him to show his stuff.

Oct 06, 2017 at 08:50 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

henry albert wrote:

Why? You have not asked others. You have pestered him multiple times in multiple threads. Others have noticed. You seem a bit obsessed, and not in a healthy way.

Oct 06, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

arbitrage wrote:
But I've had enough shots on a D500 (and every other camera I've owned) where a wingtip got clipped and if I had taken that same shot in DX mode on a D850 it would still be clipped....in FX mode I'd have the perfect shot

This is why FX really needs a mode where it applies the crop frame in the viewfinder but stores the full raw frame.

Oct 06, 2017 at 09:07 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

I would really like this. But not a total blackout, just reference lines.

Oct 06, 2017 at 09:12 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

gdsf2 wrote:
Why? You have not asked others. You have pestered him multiple times in multiple threads. Others have noticed. You seem a bit obsessed, and not in a healthy way.

Oh, please.

He is one of the forum's well known know-it-alls, always eager to share his opinion. I want to see if he can put his work where his mouth resides.

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:24 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

But this is an open community, you are not the Forum Police, and if he's a liar or pretender then that's really none of anybody else's business. Believe what you want of others, or believe nothing of what they say, which is the same responsibility all of us have. But nothing entitles you to demand accountability or proof from others.

Just be nice, live and let live.

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

henry albert wrote:
Oh, please.

He is one of the forum's well known know-it-alls, always eager to share his opinion. I want to see if he can put his work where his mouth resides.

We all come here to share and listen to opinions. That is why Fred created these forums. And why would you want him to put his photos on his face. That is just silly.

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Jan Brittenson wrote:
This is why FX really needs a mode where it applies the crop frame in the viewfinder but stores the full raw frame.

---------------------------------------------

gdsf2 wrote:
I would really like this. But not a total blackout, just reference lines.

I'm not sure I'm following why you would want the lines. If you are shooting FX (and saving the full FX file) then you don't need the subject to fall within the DX zone. Would it be to see the AF area? On the D500 the AF area is shown by 4 corner markings (thin lines). Does the D850 VF show those marks around the AF area? If it does that rectangle will be close to the DX frame (with a little more above and below).

Oct 07, 2017 at 12:24 AM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

I am taking more for composition, not so much DX, but different aspect ratios.

Oct 07, 2017 at 12:56 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

elkhornsun wrote:
Take a look at the D850 viewfinder when in DX mode. You lose roughly half the viewfinder area with only the area inside the box. With a DX camera 100% of the viewfinder is available. This is a very big deal when tracking a bird in flight with your camera or for that matter any sports action.

Having used the D850 in DX mode while photographing birds in flight it quickly became obvious that it was far from ideal. Much better to have a DX camera in terms of the viewfinder and visual tracking of a subject.

With the D850
...Show more
henry albert wrote:
Can you provide some examples of the images you take "out in the field"?

gdsf2 wrote:

henry albert wrote:

gdsf2 wrote:

henry albert wrote:
Oh, please.

gdsf2 wrote:
We all come here to share and listen to opinions. That is why Fred created these forums. And why would you want him to put his photos on his face. That is just silly.

Sorry. Gotta agree with Henry here Little Elky is a mouth with no pics, always has been.
No creds. Hid him quite some rime ago. Many here think they know it all but at least they post
a body of work. I've got 75 freakin' pages of Uploads. Just sayin' Gas and beer money.
Sales have always paid for my gear. No axe to grind here, tellin' it like it is.

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:06 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
But this is an open community, you are not the Forum Police, and if he's a liar or pretender then that's really none of anybody else's business. Believe what you want of others, or believe nothing of what they say, which is the same responsibility all of us have. But nothing entitles you to demand accountability or proof from others.

Just be nice, live and let live.

If he's a liar or pretender, then it's no one else's business? I have no right to demand accountability or accuracy from others? Sorry, man, but your logic gland has blown a gasket.

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:58 AM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

trenchmonkey wrote:

Sorry. Gotta agree with Henry here Little Elky is a mouth with no pics, always has been.
No creds. Hid him quite some rime ago. Many here think they know it all but at least they post
a body of work. I've got 75 freakin' pages of Uploads. Just sayin' Gas and beer money.
Sales have always paid for my gear. No axe to grind here, tellin' it like it is.

I personally do not think anybody here has to prove themselves. Pro or amature, it does not matter. I know a bit about photography and gear, but I have never tried to earn money from photography. I take pictures and share them with family and friiends because I enjoy it. Could I sell prints, probably, but I donít need to nor want the work involved. I already have a job that pays for my gear. If that means you donít want to listen to what I write so be it. But I will never feel the need to prove myself to anyone. And I donít think anybody should be asked to (repeatedly in multiple threads). Life is too short and I have no ego about forum status. I am here to learn and share. That is the point, right? YMMV.

Oct 07, 2017 at 03:51 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

gdsf2 wrote:
I am here to learn and share. That is the point, right? YMMV.

It's a point, yes. And the people who seek knowledge have a right to know the dispensers of same have actually had the experiences they claim. For example, if someone tells me that camera X has terrific low light capability, I want to see evidence he knows what he's talking about. Anyone can talk, but it's the people who walk the talk that I respect.

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:19 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

henry albert wrote:
It's a point, yes. And the people who seek knowledge have a right to know the dispensers of same have actually had the experiences they claim. For example, if someone tells me that camera X has terrific low light capability, I want to see evidence he knows what he's talking about. Anyone can talk, but it's the people who walk the talk that I respect.

No, sorry, you do not have the right to know. You can ask, but he has every right to ignore your request. That is called privacy. When you repeatedly ask, just to make a point, well, that is, in my opinion, passive aggresive BS. If you donít like his posts, just hide him. Then what he says canít bother you so much. We need to keep things civil otherwise this great site becomes another DPReview. That would suck.

Oct 07, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
...... if he's a liar or pretender then that's really none of anybody else's business.

Really? I guess it is also none of your business if such a person scams you on the B&S Forum also?

Talk is cheap, and the cheapest talkers usually have no images to back up their cheap talk.

Oct 07, 2017 at 04:56 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Imagemaster wrote:
Really? I guess it is also none of your business if such a person scams you on the B&S Forum also?

Talk is cheap, and the cheapest talkers usually have no images to back up their cheap talk.

Do you realize how angry you sound? Anyone can post an image and tell you it was taken under completly different conditions if they wanted to ďscamĒ you. But why would they want to do this on a photography forum? What on earth do they have to gain? I think this is just paranoid. I think some people need to get away from the online world for a liitle while and talk with some people face to face to regain a little perspective on what is important and to remember how they should act towards other people. This is supposed to be fun.

Oct 07, 2017 at 07:19 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password