New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

PabloSRT8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

I知 happy I can finally ask a question about the D850 since mine is on my lap as I type this!
I知 selling my D500 because the D850 can give about the same megapixels when on DX mode.
But, what is the point on going to DX mode on the D850 if I can just crop out of FX?
There is no FPS advantage, 50 pictures in the buffer is enough for me, and I always use center group AF so having 100% coverage with focus points won稚 really help me.
Is there an advantage to use DX mode when I do Wildlife photography?
Thanks!

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:12 PM
aut0maticdan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Some find it easier to frame shots in the expected output. Also, file sizes are smaller.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:17 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

DX mode is, as you seem to already understand, literally just a crop from the full frame. The advantages are as follows:

- Deeper buffer
- Smaller file sizes so your memory cards last longer, backup/storage commitments are less, and most post processing steps are faster
- Faster frame rate depending on the camera (like the D810, but not the D850)
- Easier framing, if you don't want to crop in post. I've been in situations where I knew I'd be cropping and I simply did not want to individually crop 500-1000 photos after the fact - that can be huge time savings.
- The ability to anticipate action or movement before it enters the active area of the sensor without taking your eye away from the viewfinder (the viewfinders use either shading or a box to show you the DX area, 1.2 crop area, or whatever you have selected).

From your description, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference but some people really value some of the above points. At the end of the day it's really just a nice option to have considering most other major manufacturers either don't even offer it, or implement it poorly.

One situation where it made a big difference for me was on a whale tour. My memory cards were getting full, I didn't have a spare with me because I didn't anticipating needing it, and there was lots of action. I knew I'd be cropping 90% of my photos later anyway, so I switched to 1.2 or DX crop so I could get more images on my card(s) and I was able to keep shooting until the end of the tour. Without that option I would have ran out of space completely and potentially missed some opportunities I'd never see again. Just having that option is fantastic.

Also, it sure does help existing owners of the D810 and D500 make the decision to consolidate to one camera if they're on the fence.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:30 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Right, other than file size (and therefore buffer capacity, storage capacity etc.) there's no advantage when shooting DX mode on the D850. FWIW I never shoot DX mode on any FX body because I always want the most canvas I can get to compose/crop later. I'm might *plan* on only needing DX size, but when have your plans ever worked out!

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:33 PM
Spectro
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

CanadaMark wrote:
Also, it sure does help existing owners of the D810 and D500 make the decision to consolidate to one camera if they're on the fence.

I'm one of those guys that decided to consolidate. My D810, which is my personal camera doesn't get as much use as my D5 and D500 due to time constraints. I'm consolidating to a D850 and D5 and the D850 will do double duty for sports crop and personal photography.

However, to answer the OP's post, using crop is key if you are shooting events and don't want to have a pile of large files to post to a website or have to crop a large number of photos. It really is a variable answer depending on your use/needs. I prefer the D5 for pro sports but for events where I need reach or where I'm hosting/selling a large volume of photos directly from my website I will prefer the crop to fill the frame in camera and to reduce the file size.

Horses for courses.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Colin F
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

CanadaMark wrote:
DX mode is, as you seem to already understand, literally just a crop from the full frame. The advantages are as follows:

- Deeper buffer.......

I read somewhere that you get an unlimited buffer in crop mode (not sure), perhaps that's only with the fastest XQD card.

I have a question: How does one go into crop mode on the D850? Do you have to go into settings, or is it a quickly-pushed button - or can you assign it to a button?

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:53 PM
ffstory
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

You can configure pretty much any function button + dial to switch between crop factors.

On my D800 FX, 1.2x, DX and 5:4 format.

On my D500 DX and 1.3x

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:56 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Colin F wrote:
I read somewhere that you get an unlimited buffer in crop mode (not sure), perhaps that's only with the fastest XQD card.

I have a question: How does one go into crop mode on the D850? Do you have to go into settings, or is it a quickly-pushed button - or can you assign it to a button?

There are many ways to do it, but the way I have always liked is the FN button combined with a control wheel to scroll between the crop modes (FF, 1.2, DX). Further, you can eliminate a crop mode from that list if there is one you don't use - it's very slick. To answer your question, you can either set it in the menu or assign it to a button.

The buffer capacity for the D850 in DX mode is 200 in all RAW types (even uncompressed). Nikon caps the buffers at 200, but they are for all practical purposes unlimited. I believe the cap is at 200 only in case the camera is set off unintentionally (in a bag or something). If you just lift you finger and then continue shooting after 200 frames, they keep going. Nikon does it's buffer measuring with a Sony G-series XQD card which is a best case scenario, but probably what most people are going to buy (or similar). Regardless of the card, you are getting more buffer with DX.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Colin F
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Dang, this camera just looks more impressive every day.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM
nextlife1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

But keep in mind that the buffer capacity in DX mode is only 200 if one is NOT using the external grip with an EN-EL18 battery to enable shooting at 9 fps. In that case the buffer is only 45 (!) in 14-bit lossless compressed. So one can shoot at 9 fps or have a buffer of 200, but not both!

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PabloSRT8
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Wow, you guys made all good points.
And I知 learning new things about the D850 every day.
I have a D800 and a D500 and For some reason I hate having two cameras ( I never carry both, is just a hobby for me)
But I already put my D500 on eBay and I知 debating if I should sell my D800 (is too cheap to let go such a great camera)
I feel like the D850 will be the only camera I値l need, for family and wildlife, and that痴 a good thing for me.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:43 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Because the D850 doesn't give a FPS advantage in DX mode the only reason I'd personally shoot it is if I was short on card space.

But I've had enough shots on a D500 (and every other camera I've owned) where a wingtip got clipped and if I had taken that same shot in DX mode on a D850 it would still be clipped....in FX mode I'd have the perfect shot

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:20 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

arbitrage wrote:
Because the D850 doesn't give a FPS advantage in DX mode the only reason I'd personally shoot it is if I was short on card space.

But I've had enough shots on a D500 (and every other camera I've owned) where a wingtip got clipped and if I had taken that same shot in DX mode on a D850 it would still be clipped....in FX mode I'd have the perfect shot

Yeah, but then again: that 1,2 crop mode might be the perfect compromise between DX and FX mode.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM
nextlife1

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

1.2 crop mode is something I am definitely interested in experimenting with. I don't see any information on the buffer with a grip in 1.2 mode, but I hope it is closer to the 45 of DX than the 29 of FX. That said, while I have always shot in 14-bit previously I plan to experiment with 12-bit with the D850 due to buffer considerations. I've been spoiled by the D500 and it's hard to imagine going back to being "buffer constrained". Don't frequently need it but when you do it can be all the difference.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:51 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Good point. I'm sure many people have not thought of that. I am one of them.

arbitrage wrote:

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:00 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

When photographing wildlife I will often have one camera on the fixed focal length telephoto lens that is mounted on a tripod and another camera with a zoom lens that is slung over my shoulder. Now that I have the D850 and D500 these will be the cameras I use. The controls are close enough that switching back and forth is not a problem and they both use the same memory cards and the same batteries.

For me the D500 is the perfect backup camera for the D850 and I will be selling my D750 and eventually my D810 though I am in no rush to sell either one. There are a lot of D810 cameras hitting the used market and 6 months from now there will be people trying to decide between a new D850 at $3300 (plus the cost of an L plate and XQD cards and a MB-D18) and a used D810 for $2,000 that includes a MB-D12 and CF cards.

For wildlife shooting the D850 was a no brainer for me. But if I was primarily doing landscape and general nature and people photography it would provide no real gains over the D810 camera.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:43 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

elkhornsun wrote:
When photographing wildlife I will often have one camera on the fixed focal length telephoto lens that is mounted on a tripod and another camera with a zoom lens that is slung over my shoulder. Now that I have the D850 and D500 these will be the cameras I use. The controls are close enough that switching back and forth is not a problem and they both use the same memory cards and the same batteries.

For me the D500 is the perfect backup camera for the D850 and I will be selling my D750 and eventually my D810 though
...Show more

Would you mind posting some examples of your work?

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:02 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

Since FX has a wider field of view with the same lens, you can be further off on your in camera framing and still capture the subject.

On the other hand, in FX your subject is smaller and it is harder to see the minute details that can make or break your photo.

Morris

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:54 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

^^^ well you can chimp-pinch-zoom to 100% on the D850's LCD

Sep 23, 2017 at 01:53 AM
shoot3r

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D850 FX cropping vs DX shooting.

I found this comparison over on DPR, and honestly, I'm not sure why I'd want the D850 if I was going to be cropping down?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4210544

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:02 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password