FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Tough to find 2nd shooters that get ‘it’.
They are really not that technically diverse..... have only 1or 2 flashes for off camera lighting, shoot with 1 camera and a couple of lenses. And they have been shooting for several years.
Some hustle but most take it easy when it comes to reception time.
Then these same shooters want $50/hr for there very inconsistent work. Right.... not.

I have swung back around to working more natural light.
Really trying to work on what the situation calls for instead of me proudly stating this is going to be.... all flash.
Still a work in-progress. I prefer to say working on seeing light or seeing the possibilities.

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

ZachOly wrote:
It's hard to get out of a rut when what you've been doing has been working. Is that laziness? I dunno. Some may call it consistency.

What helps me is to have a couple of shooters around that want to continue to push.... stay fresh.
I have been trying to refine every part of the wedding day.

Recently, I really want to work on really nice portraits of the B&G.
So I have been thinking what are the variables to make up said image.
Lens choice, location, prefer darker backgrounds, if it is dark - what setup in lighting that can be fast but still produce the image I am after.....

I shoot quite often at one location.... so how to accomplish this at different times of the day with different weather conditions and .... ever changing clientele.

Mark

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:44 PM
glort
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

I don't generalise shooters as being lazy at all. Quite the opposite in fact.
I think they are too pedantic and spend far too much time worrying about things that are irrelevant to the customer. Maybe it's vanity but I don't think it's lazy.

That is different to stubborn and often ignorant however.
They tend to do things the way they think they should be done ( too much fiddling with images, not learning flash, proper posing, business skills) and only that way but again, I don't think it's out of laziness. I think fear, stubbornness and ego are a significant part but the effort put into often one track mindedness ( if I'm the best shooter I'll be successful) is definitely not something that fits with a definition of laziness in my book.

Certainly they are single minded and generally quite inflexible. For most only one way to do something which is their way and they are the only shooters in the world that can take or edit a decent Image ( no one else knows how to edit my images properly).

As said, not setting up a heap of flashes in a reception is not lazy. Never done it, never seen it here. It's just a different technique ( and a somewhat localised one at that) and to suggest one was lazy or even not giving the client the best product because they don't shoot that way is just another proof of ignorance.

Natural light only, yeah, I'm sure thats a crock excuse for many but not all. I think Heiko uses that a lot and only a moron would call that man lazy even if his style isn't your cup of tea. This " reportage" style could well be called lazy too and I know in some cases is a crutch for those that don't know and are too scared ( or lazy) to learn proper posing but again if we look at someone like Heiko, it's something he busts his arse to get the way he wants and effort and loads of it is NOT lazy.

The other thing I think goes against lazy is the time and effort shooters put into reading about gear and looking at all the online teachings. The definition of Lazy would be more like me, use whatever gear is on offer at the time an update is needed that exceeds the needs you have and spend zero time looking at all the other tools out there or online guru's etc.

Given I'm the black sheep of shooters, would seem to me I'm the lazy one and everyone else is the complete opposite :0)

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:31 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Based what I've recently read about daily shooting rates for National Geographic & CNN, I currently pay associate subs THREE TIMES what major outlets pay ... so, I'm expecting something.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:31 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Usually it is because it is good enough to keep booking. If this stuff was really such a key differentiator/advantage for a business we wouldn't be seeing so such competition and it'd be simple to charge more.

Not everyone has the same "I want to be the best I can possibly be at this" many of us have.

Mitch W wrote:
Any time I hear or read someone say "I'm a natural light photographer" I immediately translate that to mean they can't use a flash. Probably an overgeneralization though...

I'd go further, they don't really understand lighting. Once you understand how light behaves you use whatever light is best wherever it comes from. My ability with natural light shot up once I put the effort in to learn lighting properly which is best done with artificial light in controlled conditions.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Mark_L wrote:
I'd go further, they don't really understand lighting. Once you understand how light behaves you use whatever light is best wherever it comes from. My ability with natural light shot up once I put the effort in to learn lighting properly which is best done with artificial light in controlled conditions.

Tony Hoffer wrote:
... with all that said, there's lots of folks that just don't put the effort into understanding light, natural or not.

And therein lies the "lazy" part ... learning, or lack thereof.

It can manifest itself into a variety of different ways @ ambient only, flash only, poor color correction, etc. ... but, it is the effort into understanding what / why you do what you do to achieve your own level of command & control regarding the situation that can seem lacking at times.

It's one thing we truly understand and have command & control (even if it is heavily one sided or vastly favorred) over our given choices. It is another thing when we use it as a crutch or excuse for what we haven't developed the ability to do.

My take on the OP's "rant" was largely regarding when there seems clear & convincing situation that warrants the ability to utilize the various tools in the bag, moreover than only having what seems to be a singular / rut approach.

Becoming complacent (at a given plateau) is where the "too lazy to learn" might apply. OTOH, some folks simply go with "Hey, I'm making money at it. That's all I need." and thus it's easier that way for some. Simplicity can be a good thing ... but, given the vast array of situations & lighting that we encounter, I'm hard pressed to think that a one trick pony is the only tool we should have in our bag.

Fav's & Style ... sure. But, one trick only may leave you a bit short at times. Understanding, versatility and adaptability can sometimes serve us well, whereas a rigidness (to Glort's point), may not always be up to the task.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I used to get angered by that, too. My anger was mitigated by two realizations...

I never got angered by it, it was simply an observation, or worse, an assumption I made. I agree that there's a lot of amazing, dreamy natural light photography being created. When I shot weddings I'd intentionally shoot natural light as well, until I decided I needed to create my own light for a better outcome.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:08 AM
InSanE
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

I believe the repetition that is weddings gets to creatives that are wedding photographers.
Get over it and take the money

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:39 AM
flash
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

I'm not lazy... I'm efficient....

Gordon

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:56 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

InSanE wrote:
I believe the repetition that is weddings gets to creatives that are wedding photographers.
Get over it and take the money

Kinda like the difference between shoving a burger down the gullet on the go vs. an evening of savored fine dining. They both serve the purpose of refueling and both have their time & place. Yet, they require a different amount of effort to provide and warrant a different price when successfully delivered.

Not everyone is (nor wants to be) a sous chef. Some folks are content with flippin' burgers (hopefully, really good burgers).

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Gotta agree with the original frustration. I too like to approach things without too much 'received knowledge', be that from the industry doing things a certain way, or 'Past-Tony' doing things a certain way. I'm all for the right solution at the right time.

However, IMHO there is a big 'but'. I think too many photographers forget about what a wedding day actually is. A huge life event, not a photoshoot. To that end some of my decision making revolves around keeping things a wedding first and foremost. That's to say, wherever possible, I try and have a low-impact on the day itself.

I consider myself a predominantly 'natural light shooter' though I don't really use, or like the phrase. That said, I bring 5 flashes to every wedding and I use them during every dance floor, some speeches and nearly always during formals. However there are other parts of the day where I actively avoid using them because of the attention it draws. Likewise, I don't want to take couples away from their guests for longer than necessary and I've regularly given up on a great shot because I'd rather have my clients hang with their friends and family. In the winter, when I shoot portraits before the wedding breakfast, I never ever overrun. Not just because it's a pain in the arse for the venue, but because it messes with my couples plan for the day. I spend longer in post than most because sometimes that's what's necessary to shave a few mins off with the client in front of the camera.

Now, all that's not to say that there aren't photographers whose clients book them for the grand and time consuming image and are willing to give up the neccessary minutes/hours to achieve that. There's nothing wrong with that. However my clients are not those clients and I try and always bear in mind that while photography is important, the on-the-day experience is even more so. If my work and pursuit of great 'deliverables' impacts there wedding day enjoyment, I'm getting something wrong in my view.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:01 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

^ Half my clients just want a photoshoot where they get drunk at the end of it.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:17 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

ZachOly wrote:
^ Half my clients just want a photoshoot where they get drunk at the end of it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If that's your base, then it's what the customer asked for. Have at it!

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:17 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

It's hard because the entire day is just about photos. Client's don't actually get to enjoy much of anything.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:21 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

> A huge life event, not a photoshoot

OT - then why do all the guests just stand around taking smart phone photos of each other?

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:26 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

If I got married I wouldnt want a couple of photographers (teams) or a solo one flashing away at all times regardless the cincurstances, which some do and it is even more laziness !

I wolud say the above is just the contrary to natural light photographers avoiding flash !

Yeah, the right solution for a particular scene (thi is so smart !)

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:26 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

LeeSimms wrote:
> A huge life event, not a photoshoot

OT - then why do all the guests just stand around taking smart phone photos of each other?

Because people want to remember important days. Whipping out a smart phone and taking a technically weak, but memory-laden shot doesn't stop them having fun. They don't have to put their drink down, or stop talking to their friends.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:29 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Qualifying my beef more, and this is not about seconds — it's more about primaries.

You're shooting between guys and girls prep in alternate rooms in the same building. The guys are in spacious room, with a wall of windows. The girls are in a cave (it happens) with only a sliver of window light. If you can't move the women to the section of the room with window light, it's super risky to shoot in the iso4000+ range without a flash. Your camera can handle it, sure, but the light sucks (usually) with a mix of window, tungsten, LED, cow dung, and whatever else they're using as a light source now. Why on earth would natural light shooter not bounce a flash in shitty room? Your shooting situation changed so you have to adapt.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:42 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Perfect scene for B&W for the girls ! The little colour you get it by tbe window, at least give us a window ! 😊😊

LeeSimms wrote:
Qualifying my beef more, and this is not about seconds — it's more about primaries.

You're shooting between guys and girls prep in alternate rooms in the same building. The guys are in spacious room, with a wall of windows. The girls are in a cave (it happens) with only a sliver of window light. If you can't move the women to the section of the room with window light, it's super risky to shoot in the iso4000+ range without a flash. Your camera can handle it, sure, but the light sucks (usually) with a mix of window, tungsten, LED, cow
...Show more

Sep 22, 2017 at 04:14 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
2. We shoot natural light almost all the time... even though many know us for 'lighting' (whatever that means). The more I understand light and flash, the less I need lights and flashes. Kind of weird how that works out. I still love using them, but it's easier to get what we're looking for without flash now that we understand light even more.

This is so true.

Sep 22, 2017 at 04:36 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password