FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

I work with a lot of different photographers. 8 this season and we've been interviewing associates this month.

Why do photographers get in a rut? Natural light photographers that can't embrace flash, especially for receptions and lighting decor. Strobist-or-die photographers that can just shut it off when natural light is so perfect. Prime shooters who should be shooting zooms because they don't move their feet enough and they have to spend so much time cropping ... every ... image.

I could go on. This industry needs a real shot of dynamic problem solving attitude. Right solution for the job, not the same solution for every situation.

Killin' me. Sorry, rant over.

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:26 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Preach!

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:31 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

LeeSimms wrote:
Killin' me. Sorry, rant over.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:13 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Any time I hear or read someone say "I'm a natural light photographer" I immediately translate that to mean they can't use a flash. Probably an overgeneralization though...

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:23 PM
jecottrell
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Sounds like you could make some $ teaching dynamic problem solving workshops. Or, you could at least, train your employees to use your system to reduce your frustration.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:42 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Not employees, subs.

I think all workshops teach dynamic problem solving. Photographers just get lazy in the field. The prime thing is the worst. So many photographers are not active enough to shoot primes.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:58 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

It's hard to get out of a rut when what you've been doing has been working. Is that laziness? I dunno. Some may call it consistency.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:52 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Mitch W wrote:
Any time I hear or read someone say "I'm a natural light photographer" I immediately translate that to mean they can't use a flash. Probably an overgeneralization though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

100% all natural zero GMO organic light

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:34 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

BSPhotog wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

100% all natural zero GMO organic light

Naturally

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Mitch W wrote:

Probably more truth than not.

Same goes for good color correction (lack thereof) ... when I hear "art" or "what the camera saw" or "that was the lighting" ... I translate that to "I don't understand color theory". They'd rather explain it away than actually learn color theory and how to apply good color correction (i.e. more than just a WB click on a wedding dress). That, or they don't know how to use a flash (or both).

Our beloved craft is much like the slogan for the game Othello "Othello is the game that takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master."

Somewhere between the giant "P" & "A" buttons we so often start with ... to there's more than one way to skin a cat to having a "command & control" mastery of one facet to having a mastery of all facets of our beloved craft ... there's a progression that takes time, effort, energy, study and practice. Having a good command & control of a given skill tends to get favored over a lesser developed skill. For some the advance of their skill set hits a point of diminishing returns for them, and they don't invest what is necessary to move on to the additional levels ... thus, what I consider the "plateau" effect.

People tend to get comfortable at a given plateau / level, and don't embark on the necessary effort to raise ourselves to the next plateau. Is that "lazy" or just "comfort zone" that folks don't want to get out of to achieve the growth? In the case of the prime / zoom ... I suspect it may have a bit to do with WO / dof limits (another form of "I do X only" ) as well.

In part, that plateau effect comes from a non-discriminating audience that has somehow come to accept certain aspects of mediocrity as a norm, thus not being a driving force for continuous improvement. The sea of mediocrity is much larger than the pinnacle of excellence.

Being able to drive a golf ball 300 yards is good, but without a good short game, the attained skillset has a limiting factor. Moving off a given skill (that you are currently strong in) to improve other skills takes effort that not just photographers struggle with. But, to get to that "next level" ... that's where many people become complacent with their current level. Again, not sure if that is "lazy" as much as it is "not worth it" to them as they are content with their current performance and the comfort that they have can already do "something" well.

I think the prospect of embarking on something they are not good at (to become good at) gets in their psyche in a way that they don't embrace the uphill challenge needed to getting the lesser developed skill to the next level. Kind of a modern day "sour grapes" or "one trick pony" perspective, if you will. Sometimes good enough is pretty good. Sometimes good enough is incomplete. But rarely is good enough ever the requisite for excellent.

For those who garner a taste of excellence (in whatever manner), it becomes hard to accept good enough. For those who have never tasted such excellence ... they tend to not understand what they are missing. In that regard, it can be as much an "experiential ignorance", moreover than being lazy. I currently am working with a group (non-photography) who works hard at what they are doing (i.e. not lazy) ... but, they haven't yet learned the value of doing something different (I'm working on that) and how empowering that can be to synergistically propel outcomes from one level to the next.

I think what you're finding in your subs is simply a stagnation of maturation / growht that is driven more out of experiential ignorance / complacency in their comfort zone, than an actual "laziness". Related, likely to some degree at not worth the effort / bang for their buck, as they are getting along (to their standard) just fine. Which might be in part why they are shooting as subs ... think about it.

Yours may be a "rant" ... but I think it is one that holds much more truth than you may have even considered.

P.S. I'm a natural light photographer.
Translation ... my flash skills are rusty as all get out (i.e. not currently as good as my natural light skills).

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cliphe

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

OK, help a brother out, what is a good starting point for "Color Theory?" I shoot in raw (5D Mark IV) mostly at 5600K. In ACR I adjust either with the eye dropper tool or adjust to taste, I tend to prefer warm colors. Where do I go? (I appreciate any help!)

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:41 PM
tgillespie
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

When it comes to seconds... Good, Fast, Cheap: You can only pick two.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:01 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

LeeSimms wrote:
Right solution for the job, not the same solution for every situation.

This.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:34 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

LeeSimms wrote:
I work with a lot of different photographers. 8 this season and we've been interviewing associates this month.

Why do photographers get in a rut? Natural light photographers that can't embrace flash, especially for receptions and lighting decor. Strobist-or-die photographers that can just shut it off when natural light is so perfect. Prime shooters who should be shooting zooms because they don't move their feet enough and they have to spend so much time cropping ... every ... image.

I could go on. This industry needs a real shot of dynamic problem solving attitude. Right solution for the job, not the
...Show more

There is a reason why they are are associates instead shooting their own wedding they booked. There are alot of photographers entering the market now and most are interest in buying the latest and greatest camera and believing it would improve the quality of their photography. The successful photographers may not be any better, but are just better at marketing.

The photographers you are looking for is out there, but you may not offer them enough monetary incentive to become associate. I know because I was offered 2 lead photography shooting job and was surprised it's only a little bit higher than what I pay my second shooter with alot more responsibility. No thanks.

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:39 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Mitch W wrote:

I used to get angered by that, too. My anger was mitigated by two realizations...

1. Lots of clients love that look. Who am I to judge their taste? I lot of us (especially men) tend to be over technical in our critique of photography and disregard the 'pretty' as 'easy'. I still do this, but I'm trying not to.

2. We shoot natural light almost all the time... even though many know us for 'lighting' (whatever that means). The more I understand light and flash, the less I need lights and flashes. Kind of weird how that works out. I still love using them, but it's easier to get what we're looking for without flash now that we understand light even more.

That's not to say that our style suits everyone or that others don't 'get' light. It's just the way we've been evolving over time...

... with all that said, there's lots of folks that just don't put the effort into understanding light, natural or not.

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:49 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

I think there's too many who focus on their weaknesses and not enough time doubling down on their strengths.

If you want to shoot a reception as ISO 25k @ f/1.4, who cares if that's your style? Doesn't make you lazy because you chose not to set up a half dozen flashes.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:15 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

My gripe is not usually with posed couple shots. Like many we have two photographers on scene, one strobist and one with a fast prime so we get two looks, quickly.

My gripe is shooting observational coverage indoors. When to flash and when to not. Poopy light in the venue? Light it off-camera. Great light coming in through windows? Turn it off.

Seems simple.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:18 PM
tgillespie
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I used to get angered by that, too. My anger was mitigated by two realizations...

1. Lots of clients love that look. Who am I to judge their taste? I lot of us (especially men) tend to be over technical in our critique of photography and disregard the 'pretty' as 'easy'. I still do this, but I'm trying not to.

2. We shoot natural light almost all the time... even though many know us for 'lighting' (whatever that means). The more I understand light and flash, the less I need lights and flashes. Kind of weird how that works out. I
...Show more

I agree with this when it comes to portraiture, but we shoot in plenty of venues where bounce flash simply won't work. I would even go as far to say that some prep situations can't be photographed well without some knowledge of off camera flash. If the couple understands they aren't going to get a hundred or so great, well lit moments from their dance floor, thats fine... but its unfortunate, in my opinion. Style is a preference, but moments do matter... and shooting them at ISO12800 every 4 seconds greatly diminishes your ability to deliver them. If you are all about that fine art, great... but mixing the two is a difficult task that only a few in this industry have figured out.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:18 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

Hence, dynamic problem solving

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:27 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rant :: why do we get so lazy?

I blame Ansel Adams - talk about a guy in a rut!

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password