New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

bs kite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

How do you handle ever-increasing storage capacity needs?

1. How large are your current storage drives?

2. Do you insist on keeping on one drive, all images you have ever taken?

3. Or have you archived older files, so they are available, but not on your everyday storage HD ?

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:13 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

I'm up to 6TB. I have two 6TB drives, and a 1TB drive on my editing PC (a laptop).

Ideally I download cards to my laptop and then back that up to one 6TB drive, so I have two copies. I also periodically backup the first 6TB drive to the second, giving me three copies. I try to bring that second drive to work for safekeeping, but that hasn't happened lately. They just sit side-by-side on my desk.

Eventually the laptop drive fills, and once I've made sure I have everything on the laptop backed up to both 6TB drives, I start deleting to make room.

I've been doing this for years. I find by the time backup drives start filling up, the next generation of drives has dropped in price and I buy a larger set. Then I move everything over from the old drives, and those old drives go on a shelf somewhere.

At this point my active drives have all my photos. I'm reluctant to put old photos on a shelf on unused drives, because I worry that the drives will go bad from non-use and I won't even know it until I need them. I think this is a disadvantage of my approach, and why someone with much higher storage requirements would want to use a NAS like a Drobo.

Mark

Edited on Sep 20, 2017 at 07:16 PM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:25 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

NAS System.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

I got tired of running out of HD space, so I set up dual 15TB Thunderbolt RAID 5 arrays, backing up to Backblaze in case of a local catastrophe.

Space is not currently an issue. Speed is pretty healthy, too.

C

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

I'm currently at 4TB (2x2 TB WD drives). I have about 1.2 TB left, however, I'd guesstimate that about 600 or 700 GB on those drives is a garbage of duplicate and unusable photos I haven't had the energy of cull yet.

Next to me sits the Synology Diskstation NAS, also with 4TB drive (one WD Red) that acts as the secondary backup device. I don't back up as often as I should though...

This way I have two device 1:1 backup solution. Obviously I should run a LAN cable somewhere out of sight and hide the NAS there...

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:20 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

bs kite wrote:

3. Or have you archived older files, so they are available, but not on your everyday storage HD ?

I should probably make this an article at my blog and link to it, but here is the short (!) story.

I'm using a 27" iMac. I do not use the internal iMac storage for photography files. I use an external 8TB Thunderbolt drive that stores raw files and processed photoshop files. I keep all raw and post-processed files online on this drive. I keep almost all raw files, deleting only true disasters in most cases. Hard drive storage is relatively inexpensive, but finding out that you deleted a file that you need is not.

I'm also (some would think) fanatical about backups. I keep multiple copies of all my files. I've learned the lessons of what happens if I'm not extremely careful with backups and I would go to almost any expense to avoid repeating the losses. (The last serious losses were at least a couple of decades ago, by the way.)

Versions of my files include:

1. The primary files on my internal SSD, the computers small internal hard drive, and on the large capacity external Thunderbolt drive.

2. One bootable mirror backup of all of this material so that I can work directly from it in emergencies on an attached 8TB drive. This backs up automatically once per day. The method I use here deletes old versions of files as a byproduct of producing a bootable backup.

3. A separate bootable mirrored backup of my system drive with all of my applications, updated daily. In an emergency I can boot from this and restore all apps and system files.

4. One non-bootable archival backup across the local network using Apple's TimeMachine. This updates hourly, and important it keeps multiple versions of changed files, so I can go back to an earlier version if necessary.

5. One additional complete backup set that is stored off-site and updated every couple of weeks.

6. When I travel I carry an updated backup of all of my completed Photoshop files.

Paranoid? Perhaps. Safe. Probably. ;-)

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:21 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

We are at the point where the cost of storage is so low it doesn't really matter how much you need. 8TB hard drives are $169, and unlimited cloud storage space is $3.95/mo (or free if bundled with some other services), so it's hardly even a consideration anymore.

Personally I have the following internal drives (not all used for storage):

- 512GB PCI-E SSD
- 250 GB SSD
- 1TB SSD
- 2TB HDD X2
- 5TB HDD
- 1TB HHD

And a Synology NAS with 2x 3TB

I use Syncback pro to manage backups both locally and to cloud services.

I use Smugmug, Google Photos, and Amazon Prime for unlimited online cloud backup.

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:43 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

I'm a relative photographic lightweight. I have a 27" iMac with a 2 TB internal drive and all my raw and processed photos fit. I'm currently using about 2/3 of my available space. When I saturate this space, i figure higher capacity drives will be available and I'll have them installed. I use a pair of mirrored Western Digital drives as my Time Machine backups. These are higher capacity but my wife's computer also backs up to them. I have a couple of WD 4 TB MyPassport USB drives that I rotate quarterly to a safe deposit box.

So far storage capacity technology has grown faster than my accumulation of data and I expect that trend to continue. My internal drive is a hybrid SSD/HD and I expect I'll be able to upgrade one day to high capacity SSD.

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:54 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

For almost a year I've been using a directly connected (USB 3.0/ESATA) Oyen Digital RAID box (configured as RAID 1) with two 8TB Seagate Iron Wolf hard drives. Setup is dead simple and it wakes up and turns off with the computer so it's invisible in day to day use. It's like having all that storage inside the computer. I thought about NAS but I have no need to access the images from anywhere else so for me it was pointless. This gets backed up to a pair of single (not RAID) drives on an alternating basis. The backup drives are kept offsite, and each backup is a mirror copy of the master, so no special program is needed to access backup data. Either one could be plugged into any computer with USB or ESATA and the entire image library would be available.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:18 PM
artsf
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

It's getting overwhelming since moving to 4k. Reasonably priced large capacity external drives are too slow to play files off. Yes, I use 8tb external drive for archiving but I like to have the capability of playing files off it. Good high speed storage space is expensive cause you need many many TBs especially if you wanna have a backup capacity.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

This brings up the question as to why we keep all these images. The vast majority will never be used for anything but we keep them anyway. After you pass, they will undoubtedly be gone forever unless you are famous. Not trying to be negative here, just realistic. That said, I have 2 mirrored 6 TB drives!!

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:59 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

DGC1 wrote:
This brings up the question as to why we keep all these images. The vast majority will never be used for anything but we keep them anyway. After you pass, they will undoubtedly be gone forever unless you are famous. Not trying to be negative here, just realistic. That said, I have 2 mirrored 6 TB drives!!

A vast majority may never be used... but you cannot know for sure which will.

The costs of deleting a file that you later need are significant. The costs of buying storage for files is not.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:20 PM
pshyvers

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

DGC1 wrote:
This brings up the question as to why we keep all these images. The vast majority will never be used for anything but we keep them anyway.

Well, we keep them because it's easy. At pennies per GB, you can store ~1200 RAW's indefinitely for a dollar. And sometimes I lament that I spend two hours culling to save 5-10GB, saving myself a couple nickels in storage.

But I do believe that the vast majority become cruft, and in fact become an impediment to enjoying & appreciating the good photos, so I'm still trying to cull aggressively.

Edited on Sep 20, 2017 at 10:03 PM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

bs kite wrote:

My primary NAS has 102TB raw storage and the secondary NAS has 48TB. I also have another ~100TB of loose drives at several sites. There is now enough capacity to maintain at least one copy of almost everything live, but archives only on one NAS are also on several archive backups. I have at least 3-4 copies of everything. I update drives after 3-5 years and archives are in file containers with a checksum.

EBH

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:02 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

I'd get as many Canon cameras as I could and just hold the shutter button down until the battery drains or the cards fill up, whichever comes first.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM
sandy27000
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

Synology NAS with 32TB (8TB X 4) of WD Red drives in RAID array. It contains photos, music and movies. I have back up done in portable hard drives (one of them is stored at another location) and have to back up the photos on M-Discs. Have backed up most photos on Amazon Cloud too. As you can tell, quite paranoid and cautious, but its all of my family pictures since 2002.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

I have three archive drives in my desktop tower (2 TB, 2 TB, 3 TB), with three, external mirrored-drives that are stored in a fireproof box. I have about 500 GB clear on the active archive drive, which will probably be filled this fall. I shot 110 GB of photos in Utah, over the past two weeks.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:25 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

bs kite wrote:

For my photography I have a 4TB internal hard drive.
I back up locally to a 12TB which includes my photos drive and rest of my pc.
I backup offsite automatically to a similar HD via the cloud.
Right now all my images reside on the 4TB drive.
For me the growth of drive size is faster than my consumption.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:18 AM
Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · HD capacity: Your storage strategy?

Everything possible lives on a 5 bay Synology NAS. The array can be expanded as needed without even taking it off-line.

1) I think I have about 12 TB of usable storage. This is for everything including photos, videos, a movie library for the kids, backups, etc.

2) Everything is on that single array which acts like a single drive even though it's really 5 drives. I cull heavily so I definitely don't keep every image I've ever taken.

3) All of my images and videos are in one big Lightroom folder, organized by year, month, and day. There is no archive folder. Everything going back to 2000 when I got my first digital camera is equally accessible. It's only about 16,000 files though. My volume didn't increase until 2008 when I got my first DSLR and 2011 when my first daughter was born.

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password