Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!
Press-release:

Guangzhou China, Sep 20, 2017 – The innovative adapter developer, Techart, who has previously launched the first autofocus adapter for manual lenses, has unveiled the world’s first Autofocus adapter for Canon EF lenses & Fujifilm GFX 50S camera. The Techart EF-GFX adapter provides autofocus function as well as in-body aperture control for using Canon /Sigma EF-mount lenses on the Fujifilm GFX body.

Techart has tested extensively on the modern Canon / Sigma EF-mount lenses in the market and found the autofocus performance on the GFX is satisfactory. Aperture of the lenses can also be adjusted on the camera by simply turning the command dial. The EF-GFX adapter currently supports AF-S mode for shooting and supports the lens Image Stabilization function (if applicable). Focal length and aperture data will also be saved into the adapter.

Techart is also working to unlock the AF-C and video-shooting feature. It is expected to be seen in future firmware release. The firmware of the adapter is user-upgradable and can be done by simply plugging the adapter into a computer via the Micro USB cable and running the update program.
The short flange distance of Fujifilm GFX 50S provides a perfect platform for adapting different mount lenses. Although not every one of the full frame EF-mount lenses has a big enough image circle to cover the GFX sensor, Techart EF-GFX adapter still opens up a wide range of lenses options for GFX users to consider.

------------

Pricing and Availability:

The Techart Canon EF – Fujifilm GFX Autofocus Adapter is currently available for pre-order at our official website (http://www.techartpro.com). The recommended retail price is USD 499/pc. Free shipping will be provided during the promotion period.
Delivery will commence from mid Oct onwards. 1-year warranty is included.

Introduction Video

1. Review by Jonas Rask
  2. Product details page

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:46 AM
juststeve
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

In the past many of the Canon great white L telephoto lenses had the ability to cover 6x4.5 format. Perhaps the current L telephotos will be able to cover the Fuji. A 400/2.8 or 600/4 on the GFX might be rather interesting.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

This company keeps refusing to respond to support questions about their faulty adapters. They just ignore you. Buying Techart was an expensive mistake.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Jochenb wrote:
This company keeps refusing to respond to support questions about their faulty adapters. They just ignore you. Buying Techart was an expensive mistake.

I somewhat agree. Instead of taking care of existing customers and fixing issues, they seem to push forward developing new products, leaving existing customers behind.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Of course they need to provide better support for their current customers so that we will be able to continue enjoying the adapters we have or improved new versions.

K-H.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Any word on the maximum lens weight the adapter supports?

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:24 PM
mdemeyer
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

This should just be electrical connection and a fixed mechanical mount, so the lens weight issues with the M-mount autofocus system should not exist here.

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

mdemeyer wrote:
This should just be electrical connection and a fixed mechanical mount, so the lens weight issues with the M-mount autofocus system should not exist here.

Yes! that makes sense. It's just a smart adapter.

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:53 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

I'll be very interested in seeing what EF lenses work well on the GFX in a landscape application. Versatility of lens choice for landscapes has me still choosing A7RII over the GFX. I love going into the field with ultra wide to telephoto without a big weight penalty. If adapters like this one make the GFX a far more versatile platform in that regard, I might consider it a possibility. Still curious to see what's to come regarding future high resolution Sony Alpha bodies.

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:11 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Jack Thompson wrote:
I'll be very interested in seeing what EF lenses work well on the GFX in a landscape application. Versatility of lens choice for landscapes has me still choosing A7RII over the GFX. I love going into the field with ultra wide to telephoto without a big weight penalty. If adapters like this one make the GFX a far more versatile platform in that regard, I might consider it a possibility. Still curious to see what's to come regarding future high resolution Sony Alpha bodies.

Well, you can know that the Canon TSE's 17 f/4L. 24 f/3.5L and the new 50 f/2.8L, 90 f/2.8L, & 135 f/2.8L will all cover the image circle and work well with the GFX. If you crop to 3 X 2 or a skinnier rectangle as would be fairly common for landscapes that would give you 14 f/3.3; 20 f/2.8; 40 f/2.3; 70 f/2.3 and 110 f/2.3 equivalents. That is an awfully good start and these lenses all ought to perform well but with less tilt/shift capabilities than on FF 35mm. There are lots of other good lenses for landscapes, so I think the GFX can be a very good option for that type of shooting. That said, I am not at all sure that it is much or noticeably better than the high resolution sensors for FF 35mm.

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:33 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Steve Spencer wrote:
That said, I am not at all sure that it is much or noticeably better than the high resolution sensors for FF 35mm.

Jim Kasson did a number of comparisons between the Fuji and Sony a7RII. From what I recall, in many cases there were slight technical advantages to the Fuji images. It's likely only very close examination would reveal those advantages in typical imaging applications, such as large prints.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:02 PM
gilgabo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

From what I've gathered from the GFX groups on FB, the following illuminate the sensor:
Canon EF TS lenses, 40/2.8 STM (surprisingly well), 50L II, 85L II, 135L, Sigma Art 50, 85 and 135. I'm sure there are more each with varying degrees of fixable vignetting and some with none at all.

Also, Alpa has a list of lenses they've tested and shown to cover various MF formats sizes.

Example of info at Alpa

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:39 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

rscheffler wrote:
Jim Kasson did a number of comparisons between the Fuji and Sony a7RII. From what I recall, in many cases there were slight technical advantages to the Fuji images. It's likely only very close examination would reveal those advantages in typical imaging applications, such as large prints.

Ron, that is basically what I was saying. I actually have both cameras and have done some comparisons as well. My own results are consistent with your description and with Jim's results as well (at least as I read them). I posted some of my results in the "Using adapted lenses the GFX" thread that I started.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

mortyb wrote:
I somewhat agree. Instead of taking care of existing customers and fixing issues, they seem to push forward developing new products, leaving existing customers behind.

Yes that's annoying, but what's even worse is that they've never even answered any of my messages to them. (My TAP works on the A7RII, but not on the A7II.)

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:21 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

gilgabo wrote:
From what I've gathered from the GFX groups on FB, the following illuminate the sensor:
Canon EF TS lenses, 40/2.8 STM (surprisingly well), 50L II, 85L II, 135L, Sigma Art 50, 85 and 135. I'm sure there are more each with varying degrees of fixable vignetting and some with none at all.

The Sigma Art 50/1.4 on a GFX would equal a 40/1.1? Sounds like a great env. portrait setup.

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:12 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

this is the review by Timon..a member here (forgot his nick here. )

Pros:
- Light, well built. This adapter is fantastic in its build and size, smaller than many of my "dumb" adapters, no additional "box" on the side to carry around. Looks much more low-key and standard to the GFX.
- Being able to now have full aperture control on Canon lenses and AF when needed.
- For adapted focusing, this lens is as good as it gets (will explain more in the cons section). Focusing is really dependent on the lens used, there are no surprises (the 85 1.2 L II focuses slow, the 24-105 II IS is snappy, the 50 1.2L is
...Show more

and this: Ultimately in my tests, I could still manually focus faster than the AF.. come as expected
. I would wait for a 2nd generation.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:37 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Review from Jonas Rask with some nice samples and a video as well:

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2017/09/19/techart-pro-ef-to-gfx-smart-adapter/

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:22 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Jonas review is more favorable for the manufacturing than for typical user. He has no canon EF at all.

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:53 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

Bubble wrote:
I would wait for a 2nd generation.

More likely simply a firmware update.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:55 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New TechArt AF adapter: Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX unveiled!

mortyb wrote:
Review from Jonas Rask with some nice samples and a video as well:

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2017/09/19/techart-pro-ef-to-gfx-smart-adapter/

Another awesome review. I wonder if Fuji open its mount info that there are so many options suddenly. I wish S camera have the same benefit.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.