Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
  

FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your t...
  
 
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


I just picked up the 35/1.4 from the UPS location where it was held, snapped a handful of images while I was taking my dog out to pee (all handheld, which is obviously not ideal but IS how I'll use the lens) and looked through them. It doesn't appear to have a "soft right side" to me but I'd certainly welcome more experienced eyes taking a peek.

All of these images were taken at f/1.4 as I figured that's where any soft sides would show the most dramatically. If not, please let me know!

The image with the pool showing was a TORTURE test for aberrations. HOLY COW! lol

I don't use Flickr for much of anything, but here's the URL to my account:
click here to go to my Flickr page

The first 4 images are the ones I took with this lens.

Let me know what you think. Now I have to run because I'm late for work! lol
Thanks!



Sep 20, 2017 at 02:37 PM
ecarlino
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


if you're happy, why let someone else rain on your parade?
it doesn't take an 'experienced expert' to tell you what you can see - plus, you'll have the full res images to make the best inspection.

one thing w/ these boards - if you go looking for problems, someone will find them, even where they don't exist.



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


I hear you! The purpose of posting the images, which by the way are full resolution, was to have a few sets of eyes on them, hopefully, while I'm away at work and it's nagging at me that I can't take a more exhaustive and closer look. Lol my wife calls it impatience and I call it impulsiveness thanks to a diagnosis of ADHD!
If anyone is wondering I shot these in raw and imported them to Lightroom. I turned off the default sharpening and noise reduction and then converted to jpeg.



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:11 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Upload the Raws and post a link I'll Peak at them


Sep 20, 2017 at 03:19 PM
justruss
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


ecarlino wrote:
if you're happy, why let someone else rain on your parade?
it doesn't take an 'experienced expert' to tell you what you can see - plus, you'll have the full res images to make the best inspection.

one thing w/ these boards - if you go looking for problems, someone will find them, even where they don't exist.


Truer words than are usually spoken. OP: Consider the wisdom here before you stare down the rabbit hole...

Jonathan Brady wrote:
I hear you! The purpose of posting the images, which by the way are full resolution, was to have a few sets of eyes on them, hopefully, while I'm away at work and it's nagging at me that I can't take a more exhaustive and closer look. Lol my wife calls it impatience and I call it impulsiveness thanks to a diagnosis of ADHD!
If anyone is wondering I shot these in raw and imported them to Lightroom. I turned off the default sharpening and noise reduction and then converted to jpeg.


Fair enough, but really, consider the wisdom of the post above.

GMPhotography wrote:
Upload the Raws and post a link I'll Peak at them


Nice Guy. Welcome to the rabbit hole. You can count on Guy for an honest appraisal.



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:22 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


At work and using my phone now. I'm thinking I should be able to get home a little early today and if I do, I'll tripod mount the camera and take identical pictures with the FE 35/1.4 and the EF 35L II.
That should be fun... And by fun I mean horrible! I know I'm basically that drunk guy in a bar begging someone to hit him right now. It's just that with the reputation of this lens, I want to ensure I do my due diligence before the return period is up.



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:36 PM
MrTMan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


On the surface it looks promising. In my experience, the bad copies are unambiguously bad.


Sep 20, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Came home for a few test shots after lunch and here are two things I've learned...

1) It's harder than you'd think to ensure you're totally perpendicular to a flat wall (or any subject) when taking pictures of it, and
2) This copy appears well centered. IF it's off (and I don't think it is - especially to any relevant degree), it's only by a little, and because of "1" above, I'm unlikely to ever have it affect me in a noticeable way.

Test done! Smile on face!



Sep 20, 2017 at 06:35 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Great . I learned after 5 of these lenses if left and right look very close end testing immediately and start drinking to celebrate.

Be it soft in corners as long as its symmetrical that's all that matters. It's not going to be sharp in the corners till F4 no matter what.



Sep 20, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Here's one where I realized I wasn't perpendicular to the wall, exactly, but still close. Full size, but a jpg. I corrected a few things (aberrations, vignette, and a pretty wild exposure miss of 1.4 stops). Obviously only the center is "sharp" (even still, it doesn't stand up to the Canon 35L II) but the right and left side are equally unsharp.
link to full size image

And I decided to do my usual Maya-test and see what kind of detail I could get from the fur around her eyes. This lens focuses pretty close!






*not sure why but on my screen the image of Maya is stretched larger than the 1280 pixels I saved it as and thus, looks pretty unsharp*

I do feel there's a noticeable difference in sharpness between this and the 35L II. And the aberrations are pretty strong as I've noticed green and magenta in numerous places I wouldn't have expected it with the 35L II. But I'm going to stick with it as native mount means a lot to me so I'm willing to live with the deficiencies.



Sep 20, 2017 at 07:13 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



MrTMan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


For a while I questioned whether there were actually any good copies of the 35/1.4 out there. Now that I know there are, I'm half-tempted to sell my flawed copy at a loss, in hopes of getting a better one...


Sep 20, 2017 at 07:19 PM
ecarlino
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


MrTMan wrote:
For a while I questioned whether there were actually any good copies of the 35/1.4 out there. Now that I know there are, I'm half-tempted to sell my flawed copy at a loss, in hopes of getting a better one...


if you sell it, sell it on ebay, not in FM, we don't want your junk.



Sep 20, 2017 at 08:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


ecarlino wrote:
if you sell it, sell it on ebay, not in FM, we don't want your junk.


Remind me to never buy anything on Ebay!



Sep 20, 2017 at 08:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Jonathan Brady wrote:
Here's one where I realized I wasn't perpendicular to the wall, exactly, but still close. Full size, but a jpg. I corrected a few things (aberrations, vignette, and a pretty wild exposure miss of 1.4 stops). Obviously only the center is "sharp" (even still, it doesn't stand up to the Canon 35L II) but the right and left side are equally unsharp.
link to full size image

And I decided to do my usual Maya-test and see what kind of detail I could get from the fur around her eyes. This lens focuses pretty close!
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4412/37161055666_226bcafc6d_o.jpg

*not sure why but on my screen
...Show more

Congrats on your copy! Remember to turn off EFCS when shooting wide open under bright light if you are after smooth bokeh. (Or use Silent shutter with static subjects)



Sep 20, 2017 at 08:22 PM
genji
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Jonathan Brady wrote:
Came home for a few test shots after lunch and here are two things I've learned...

1) It's harder than you'd think to ensure you're totally perpendicular to a flat wall (or any subject) when taking pictures of it, and
2) This copy appears well centered. IF it's off (and I don't think it is - especially to any relevant degree), it's only by a little, and because of "1" above, I'm unlikely to ever have it affect me in a noticeable way.

Test done! Smile on face!


If you fix a small mirror to the flat wall and position your camera so that you can see its reflection, you'll be as perpendicular as it's possible to get.



Sep 20, 2017 at 08:31 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


As long as the thickness of the glue is even across the interface, and remember to get the vernier calipers out to measure the mirror base to check it is even and the mirror itself is flat. Finally, consult a builder if you believe house walls are totally planar.

Then be aware that the effects of curvature of field may be disproportionately distributed across the field of view with increases in focal distance, so check at five metres intervals to ensure element groups are moving square to each other. Just a smidgeon off and...faulty! All the while, tolerances don't stop being out because you can't devise a test rigorous enough to find departures. Even assembly and reassembly takes its toll. There is a reason to use new mounts on old lenses. [and use Michelin tires.]



Sep 20, 2017 at 09:37 PM
carlosvitor
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


So, will you sell your 35LII and 5DIV? I'm also considering buying a 35mm f/1.4ZA and sell my 35LII (my only Canon lens).


Sep 20, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Yeah. My 5D Mark IV has been listed for a few days and I'm going to be listing my 35L II and 135L soon.


Sep 20, 2017 at 11:08 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Just playing with the 35/1.4 earlier tonight. This was at ISO 2500 so that noise obscures some of the sharpness. I'm eager to see how this lens performs for portraits like this at lower ISO. For a downsized image for web presentation, it'll do. Nothing I'm ecstatic about though.

However, I AM ecstatic about the skin tones from the α7RII. I did literally nothing to them in this image and they're perfect. With Canon, I was CONSTANTLY tweaking them for pictures of my son and wife (she has the same hair color with a little more orange and similar skin color - she just has freckles which he has yet to fully develop) as Canon adds too much yellow and orange and it makes them look unnatural. α7RII... it's usually perfect with only occasional tweaks!






...can't time just slow down...? This kid is just growing and changing every day!



Sep 21, 2017 at 03:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FE 35mm f/1.4 arrived - looks well-centered to me. Your thoughts?


Jonathan Brady wrote:
Just playing with the 35/1.4 earlier tonight. This was at ISO 2500 so that noise obscures some of the sharpness. I'm eager to see how this lens performs for portraits like this at lower ISO. For a downsized image for web presentation, it'll do. Nothing I'm ecstatic about though.

However, I AM ecstatic about the skin tones from the α7RII. I did literally nothing to them in this image and they're perfect. With Canon, I was CONSTANTLY tweaking them for pictures of my son and wife (she has the same hair color with a little more orange and similar skin
...Show more

Nice rendering!
BTW, if you think the stock hood is too bulky, I've been using this vented one and really like it (metal):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W5DJLD1



Sep 21, 2017 at 03:33 AM
1
       2       3       4       5       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password