Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

My Nikon D850 Review
  
 
Tony Hoffer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Nikon D850 Review


I posted a review of the new Nikon D850 on our site today. In the interest of starting a discussion here, I'm copy/pasting my conclusion below. If you want to read the full review, here's the link:

https://hofferphotography.com/2017/09/19/nikon-d850-review-the-best-camera-nikon-has-ever-made-but/

If someone asked me to summarize my entire thoughts on this camera in a tweet-length review it would be this: Nikon listened to their customers and got the big things right. In the process, they ignored the little things that could make this amazing machine even better.

The best thing I can say about this camera is that it lives up to every bit of those amazing specs that we all saw a few weeks back. Not only that, but the areas where it lacks are very easy software and firmware fixes. My concern is that Nikon will be to busy paying themselves on the back to notice.

Should you buy this camera? Just ask yourself this question: Will the list of specs improve your work? If so, buy it. You wonít be surprised with whatís under the hood of this camera. Thatís both a positive and a negative. Itís the best camera Iíve ever usedÖ. And yet Iím still left hoping that it gets even better.




Sep 20, 2017 at 01:57 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Nikon D850 Review


Tony Hoffer wrote:
And yet Iím still left hoping that it gets even better.



That is the sad thing about camera manufactures, they just don't or won't listen.

Enjoy your new machine.



Sep 20, 2017 at 02:38 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Nikon D850 Review


Tony Hoffer wrote:
I contend that camera focus gets worse as the years go on.


It is great to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this. I have felt this way for years but never had any way of proving it so I have never expressed my thoughts about this publicly. I can now come out of the closet about my AF degeneration of camera bodies belief.



Sep 20, 2017 at 02:49 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Nikon D850 Review


Tony Hoffer wrote:
Then I remembered my tilt-shift lenses. In the past Iíd spray and pray almost every tilt-shift shot. Now I just throw it in Live View and focus peak away.


Oh my, never thought of using focus peaking with T/S lenses, great idea!


Edited on Sep 20, 2017 at 03:07 PM · View previous versions



Sep 20, 2017 at 02:52 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Nikon D850 Review


Tony Hoffer wrote:
One downside of silent mode is that the electronic shutter does have horizontal banding in many indoor scenarios. It stinks. It can be mitigated with certain shutter speeds and some trickery, though.


I was worried about this. Does this generally show with florescent and/or LED lighting? What shutter speeds are you finding works better? High shutter speeds/



Sep 20, 2017 at 02:59 PM
LeeSimms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Nikon D850 Review


That's a pretty short list of negatives, Tony. You might be against the wind on Delete By Date.

Great images. Looks like a fun Summer.



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:01 PM
Tony Hoffer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Nikon D850 Review


MRomine wrote:
I was worried about this. Does this generally show with florescent and/or LED lighting? What shutter speeds are you finding works better? High shutter speeds/


Yes to both. I haven't messed with solutions yet. Haven't had time. In general though, shooting at 1/60th or 1/125th eliminates the blinking because it's the same pattern as the lights.



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Tony Hoffer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Nikon D850 Review


LeeSimms wrote:
You might be against the wind on Delete By Date.


So I'm finding out. No harm having it though. It's really important for our workflow :/



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Tony Hoffer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Nikon D850 Review


MRomine wrote:
It is great to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this. I have felt this way for years but never had any way of proving it so I have never expressed my thoughts about this publicly. I can now come out of the closet about my AF degeneration of camera bodies belief.


We've planted our flag.



Sep 20, 2017 at 03:08 PM
FrancisK7
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Nikon D850 Review


well done on the clickbait title


Sep 20, 2017 at 03:56 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


Tony Hoffer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Nikon D850 Review


FrancisK7 wrote:
well done on the clickbait title


The 3 Reasons I like this comment...



Sep 20, 2017 at 04:11 PM
FrancisK7
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Nikon D850 Review


You'll Never Guess What Nikon Took Away!

(my early retirement fund)



Sep 20, 2017 at 06:22 PM
DannyBostwick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Nikon D850 Review


Ironically, I didn't even know you could delete by date until I saw Tony mention it somewhere. It's actually pretty sweet because I'll put 2 portrait sessions on the same 64 gig card, but if the shoots are a few weeks apart, and I haven't finished editing the second shoot, then I've got 32gigs of card space sitting hostage because I can't erase that shoot. Now, I can do that. What a time to be alive.

Thanks for the review, Tony. I think I'll end up buying one of these next year. I don't think I need a second one, but I've put a mess of clicks on the 750's, and there are certainly some features that would make my job easier if not more enjoyable. Plus you always need some fun write offs.



Sep 20, 2017 at 06:30 PM
mb126
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Nikon D850 Review


DannyBostwick wrote:
Ironically, I didn't even know you could delete by date until I saw Tony mention it somewhere. It's actually pretty sweet because I'll put 2 portrait sessions on the same 64 gig card, but if the shoots are a few weeks apart, and I haven't finished editing the second shoot, then I've got 32gigs of card space sitting hostage because I can't erase that shoot. Now, I can do that. What a time to be alive.

Thanks for the review, Tony. I think I'll end up buying one of these next year. I don't think I need a second one,
...Show more

Not sure how things work in Nikkorland but a similar strategy is to put each shoot in a unique folder and simply delete by folder.



Sep 20, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Tony Hoffer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Nikon D850 Review




mb126 wrote:
Not sure how things work in Nikkorland but a similar strategy is to put each shoot in a unique folder and simply delete by folder.


The problem is that for weddings we typically fill up 3 or 4 folders... So files are over the place.



Sep 20, 2017 at 07:33 PM
mb126
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My Nikon D850 Review


Tony Hoffer wrote:
The problem is that for weddings we typically fill up 3 or 4 folders... So files are over the place.


Are folders capped at 1000 shots or something?



Sep 20, 2017 at 07:39 PM
FrancisK7
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My Nikon D850 Review


mb126 wrote:
Are folders capped at 1000 shots or something?


yes



Sep 20, 2017 at 08:02 PM
LeeSimms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My Nikon D850 Review


Tony, do you sense a color space difference from the D750? Skin tones better out of camera?


Sep 20, 2017 at 08:09 PM
joelconner
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My Nikon D850 Review


I just received the blessed email...my camera is in. Hopefully being shipped today. Now I just have to track down an XQD card....I knew I should I have bought one before to have it ready.


Sep 20, 2017 at 09:38 PM
LivLif
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My Nikon D850 Review


I wonder how LR will handle those raw files.


Sep 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password