New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

therealthings wrote:
I might ask CPS again for a loaner before deciding. Still a little in doubt if i want the higher resolution of the 5DsR. Light should not be a problem in the kgalagadi But on the other side, harsh contrasts might be better captured with the Mark IV.

Both great cameras which do some things better than other things when put side by side. Since I can't have both, the 5DIV is a great all arounder.
Light, composition, and subject will primarily decide how well you do.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:00 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Ok, so now here's the thing.

I can buy the 5DsR for 2350EUR which is 2799USD or...
the 5D Mark IV for 2900EUR which is 3455USD

I might sell the body again Q1 next year. Which is a better buy?

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:13 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Do you need better noise handling, better AF, and better low ISO DR? Then the 5D4....

Do you need high resolution but willing to sacrifice a bit on AF, high ISO noise and low ISO DR? Then the 5DSR...

One more thing to consider, if the answers here are too close, one of these 2 are poised for a pretty large decrease in value on the used market over the next year.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:38 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

TeamSpeed wrote:
Do you need better noise handling, better AF, and better low ISO DR? Then the 5D4....

Do you need high resolution but willing to sacrifice a bit on AF, high ISO noise and low ISO DR? Then the 5DSR...

One more thing to consider, if the answers here are too close, one of these 2 are poised for a pretty large decrease in value on the used market over the next year.

It's not an easy choice. It will be a camera that i use next to the 1Dx Mark II on safari.
Last year i had the 5DsR and was actually pretty happy with it. But i didn't like that when i needed some more tweaking of the shadows the files fell apart easily. I'm wondering if the Mark IV files give me more to play with. And if i will miss the additional 20mp. With the 5DsR i know what i have, with the Mark IV i don't. And about the resale value, i have never seen a 5DsR sell for this price here and i might be able to sell it for the same amount in January. But that's a guess.

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:49 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Might want to pose the camera choice for safari on the trip advice thread.
There might already be some past threads to review as well.
I liked the 5dsr for slow moving animals a few years ago when I rented it for vacation in the usa.

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:37 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

The 5D4 has the new sensor and can handle pushing of shadows better. In fact the 5D4 and 1DX2 are at the top of the Canon DSLR pyramid now when it comes to DR and ISO management.

If you are just going to use it for a few months and sell it, then resale isn't an issue at all.

I haven't done this type of a single exposure test with the 5D4, but the SL2 (200D) has the new sensor too, from the 80D, and it can do this. The 5D4 is better yet. The animated gif doesn't help the IQ much, the JPG result is better than what you see here, but it gives you an idea.

Edited on Sep 22, 2017 at 03:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:53 PM
dalite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

NCAndy wrote:
therealthings wrote:
Here's a chart showing the difference in the two camera sensors.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Canon%20EOS%201D%20X%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV

_____
What!!? Am I seeing that the 7D and 7DII have a higher DR for shadow recovery than the other two high-end Canons? Someone please explain this to me. Pixel pitch?

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:03 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Please read this page, the bottom of the page in particular.
http://www.photonstophotos.net/GeneralTopics/Sensors_&_Raw/Sensor_Analysis_Primer/Photographic_Dynamic_Range_Shadow_Improvement.htm

That chart is useful to know when it makes sense to keep raising your analog ISO and when it doesn't really matter any more, you can just shoot at some mid-level ISO, and raise the shadows up during post and get roughly the same results. At the point a camera's graph starts to go horizontal, that ISO level is really all you need to max out at and pull up shadows later.

So for example, it appears that the 5D4 can be maxed at 3200 and there is little gain by higher ISOs vs just pulling up your shadows accordingly. At ISO 12800, it starts to go up again. This means you can shoot at ISO 3200, and raise your shadows up 2 stops with no real difference than if you shot at ISO 6400 or higher by 2/3 stop, but after that, go to 12800 and up.

At least this is how I read it, but Bill can shed more light on this. I don't think this graph is good at comparing how one camera betters another, but rather how a camera behaves all by itself.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:00 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

therealthings wrote:
I'm again orientating on a 2nd FF body to use next to my 1dx mark II for my upcoming safari. And i was looking into getting a used 5D mark IV instead of the 5DsR that i bought last year. But i see a lot of ppl selling the 5D IV lately for really low prices. (Even as low as 2700 euro's). Any idea why?

I might as well get another 5DsR, not sure. Would like to read your pros and cons about both choices.

I know nothing about any problems with the 5D4, which by all accounts is an excellent camera.

That said, I got a 5DSR instead of a 5D4 to complement my 5D3 for my recently-completed Africa trip. And I'm really glad I did. The extra reach the high-density sensor gave me for beasties really far away was fabulous. I kept a 500 f/4L IS + 1.4xIII on the 5DSR, for reach-limited photography, and a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II on the 5D3. It was a winning combination.

Mark

Sep 22, 2017 at 04:30 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Thanks for all your feedback guys, i decided to get the Mark IV. Even though the 5DsR was a steal, i'm afraid i will still have a hard time selling it when i want to. I might even keep the Mark IV until the 5DsR Mark II if it proves to be a addition to my DxII.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

evertdoorn
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

you will like it! (Y)

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

probably people selling it to jump on the Nikon D850 bandwagon

Sep 23, 2017 at 05:14 AM
JaimitoFrog
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

therealthings wrote:
Thanks for all your feedback guys, i decided to get the Mark IV. Even though the 5DsR was a steal, i'm afraid i will still have a hard time selling it when i want to. I might even keep the Mark IV until the 5DsR Mark II if it proves to be a addition to my DxII.

With low light in early AM or late PM game drives, I think 5D4 will do better than 5DsR for higher ISO.

I bought the 5D4 recently to bring with me to Safari next month. The plan is to use it with 600/1.4x since it can handle f8 AF, and has a decent 7 fps. My 1DXII will be with 100-400 II/1.4x. My father will use his 1DXII with 200-400 f4/1.4x. We both have a 5DsR too, and will mount 70-200 II f2.8 and 24-70 II f2.8 on them, for wider shots and when animals get closer. We have a 300mm II f2.8, which may be used for low light situations. We'll see. I suspect the majority of the photos will be taken with 100-400 and the 200-400.

Sep 23, 2017 at 05:49 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

There's a report on YouTube that the 5D4 sensor creates low-level coloured "smearing" across the sensor if there is something bright in the left third of the image and relatively dark areas in the middle and right thirds. It is not "normal" sensor noise.

Imagine if TeamSpeed's photo (posted earlier in this thread) had the window at the left and then when the shadows are lifted there would be a coloured area across the dark fireplace to the right.

Here's a link...
http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=4280&canon-5d-mark-iv-sensor-problem

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:27 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

It certainly looks like an Adobe issue, I see no such thing but use DPP.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:59 AM
AlexDROP
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

TeamSpeed wrote:
It certainly looks like an Adobe issue, I see no such thing but use DPP.

DPP canít push shadows as much as ACR thatís why you normally do not see it. It is def a sensor issue as well as banding that is produced with 5D4 files after extreme shadow recovery of deep blacks.
Anyway 5D4 banding issue is LESS prominant compared to previous 5D-line generations. I could find banding even with Nikon D750 files. It is a matter of underexposure degree.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:16 AM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

this really is a non-existing issue in real word practice. I can honestly say so after shooting tens of thousands of images with this thing for over a year now at events, weddings and wildlife.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:55 AM
jaredmizanin
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

I bought the 5D4 recently to bring with me to Safari next month. The plan is to use it with 600/1.4x since it can handle f8 AF, and has a decent 7 fps. My 1DXII will be with 100-400 II/1.4x. My father will use his 1DXII with 200-400 f4/1.4x. We both have a 5DsR too, and will mount 70-200 II f2.8 and 24-70 II f2.8 on them, for wider shots and when animals get closer. We have a 300mm II f2.8, which may be used for low light situations. We'll see. I suspect the majority of the photos will be taken...Show more

Not to get off track the main topic, but what 600mm lens are you using the 1.4x with? The 600/4 can AF with a 1.4x TC on any body, and I wonder how good the IQ would be with one of the 150-600mm zooms with a 1.4x added to the mix.

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:02 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Alan321 wrote:
There's a report on YouTube that the 5D4 sensor creates low-level coloured "smearing" across the sensor if there is something bright in the left third of the image and relatively dark areas in the middle and right thirds. It is not "normal" sensor noise.

Imagine if TeamSpeed's photo (posted earlier in this thread) had the window at the left and then when the shadows are lifted there would be a coloured area across the dark fireplace to the right.

Here's a link...
http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=4280&canon-5d-mark-iv-sensor-problem

He's posted that elsewhere, and any one else finds it hard to reproduce what he claims to see.

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password