Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

I'm again orientating on a 2nd FF body to use next to my 1dx mark II for my upcoming safari. And i was looking into getting a used 5D mark IV instead of the 5DsR that i bought last year. But i see a lot of ppl selling the 5D IV lately for really low prices. (Even as low as 2700 euro's). Any idea why?

I might as well get another 5DsR, not sure. Would like to read your pros and cons about both choices.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:26 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

There's nothing wrong with it, at least in the sense of recalls or faults. As far as those selling, it's possible they might be changing systems to the intriguing D850 or Sony bodies. Anything is possible.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:43 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

The 5D IV is the top selling ILC in Scandinavia right now, independent of categories. The high number of them for sale 2nd hand probably just reflects that they are very common.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:47 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

therealthings wrote:
I'm again orientating on a 2nd FF body to use next to my 1dx mark II for my upcoming safari. And i was looking into getting a used 5D mark IV instead of the 5DsR that i bought last year. But i see a lot of ppl selling the 5D IV lately for really low prices. (Even as low as 2700 euro's). Any idea why?

I might as well get another 5DsR, not sure. Would like to read your pros and cons about both choices.

Where? I'm thinking about getting another FF.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

As far as I can tell, the only thing wrong with the 5D IV is that I don't have one.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:18 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

I think it is a great all around camera. I grab it first over my 5DsR or 1DIV in most cases.
I have not thought about changing systems as I have much Canon gear and think the other systems don't offer major improvements.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:28 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

D850...

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:44 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Zenon Char wrote:
Where? I'm thinking about getting another FF.

I only asked because I see only one on the first 2 pages here.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:01 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

I guess you get what you pay for. No factory warranty in this one I believe.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-DSLR-Camera-Body-New-90-Day-Warranty-D1-/222650719615?hash=item33d7045d7f

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

I use two 5D IV professionally as an editorial photographer. I have no idea why people are selling almost new bodies, but it might be a real good idea to grab one!

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:27 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

I'm not talking about grey market or no warranty. Prices vary between 2600 and 3300 euro. New they go for 4100. Might be because of the D850 or people simply expecting too much, not sure. Thought there might have been an issue with it, but it's good to know that there are no problems with the Mark IV.

Is there anyone here that has the Mark IV and the 1Dx mark II? I would like to know how the Mark IV files handle editing compared to the DxII.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:42 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

I used the 5d4 on my safari trip to Bots and Zambia this summer. Worked very well. i have shot with a 1dx2 for a couple of days when it first came out. Don’t think they handle very differently to be honest. Both have excellent dr and both are very good high iso performers; at pixel level the 1d better but when downsized about equal. 5dsr gives more resolution but slower to operate and less fps and high iso performance - i would say the 5d4 is a very good solution that meets it halfway with the 1d. You will like it.

Oh, do get a grip for that big 600 of yours

Where are you going?

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:52 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

evertdoorn wrote:
I used the 5d4 on my safari trip to Bots and Zambia this summer. Worked very well. i have shot with a 1dx2 for a couple of days when it first came out. Don’t think they handle very differently to be honest. Both have excellent dr and both are very good high iso performers; at pixel level the 1d better but when downsized about equal. 5dsr gives more resolution but slower to operate and less fps and high iso performance - i would say the 5d4 is a very good solution that meets it halfway with the 1d. You will
...Show more

I might ask CPS again for a loaner before deciding. Still a little in doubt if i want the higher resolution of the 5DsR. Light should not be a problem in the kgalagadi But on the other side, harsh contrasts might be better captured with the Mark IV.

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:49 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

therealthings wrote:
I'm not talking about grey market or no warranty. Prices vary between 2600 and 3300 euro. New they go for 4100. Might be because of the D850 or people simply expecting too much, not sure. Thought there might have been an issue with it, but it's good to know that there are no problems with the Mark IV.

Is there anyone here that has the Mark IV and the 1Dx mark II? I would like to know how the Mark IV files handle editing compared to the DxII.

I have both the 5D4 and 1DX2. They edit very much the same though at extreme ISO above 8000 I think the 1DX2 pulls ahead slightly for noise. But I seldom have comparison files because I use these two cameras for different purposes. Without pixel peeping at 200% I'd say the difference between these two cameras comes down to more resolution vs speed. The 1DX2 does perform almost ISO invariant from 1250 to almost 16000 ISO though. I have accidentally underexposed a shot and recovered clean shadows by 4 stops with the 1DX2 in that range. I certainly don't want to make a habit of doing that but it did save my bacon at a basketball game. So a shoot for the highlights boost the shadows for some situations is possible and with good end results. Here's a chart showing the difference in the two camera sensors.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Canon%20EOS%201D%20X%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV

The 5D4 does well too but not quite as well as the 1DX2. For comparison you can add any camera in the list on the right. Both these sensors are a big improvement over prior Canon sensors IMO.

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:03 PM
artsf
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

It could be temporarily due to D850 announcement which undercut 5div's pricing. Canon has, arguably, overpriced 5div at launch by at least $250. There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. It's just that for those who don't own a lot of Canon lenses and studio equipment, Nikon and Sony may offer better values

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:59 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

As camera models get older, the price of both new and used drops. The MAP prices in the US, for example, are just that, minimum ADVERTISED Price. The cameras can be sold for any price the dealer wishes, or package deals can be made up which effectively reduce the price.

With new 5D MK IV's being readily available for ~ $3,000 from a authorized Canon retailer, used ones should be much less.

This should be the same in Europe. Don't pay the MAP price if there is a dealer who will sell it for less.

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:13 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

The D850 could be a factor I guess. The new Nikon has more resolution and faster performance (with a grip). If for some reason you need 9fps in a 45Mp body, then it's the better option.

However, as an action/editorial/event photographer, 30Mp is enough for me, and I trust my 5D4s to get the shot. (Faster framerate would be nice, but not important enough to switch systems.)

Landscape and studio shooters may be tempted to switch to the Nikon for the higher resolution and good sensor performance, but they might regret having done so whenever the 5DS Mark II arrives. I learned long ago that it's not worth switching brands over some temporary feature delta that will likely disappear in 12-18 months.

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:23 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

Tapeman wrote:
I think it is a great all around camera. I grab it first over my 5DsR or 1DIV in most cases.
I have not thought about changing systems as I have much Canon gear and think the other systems don't offer major improvements.

As much as I love the 1D4 (easily one of the top 3 favorites for me), the 5D4 will do better on all fronts, and when you crop out the 1.3 FOV, you still end up with a bit more resolution. If I had my old 1D4, I would seldom find a reason to reach for it with the 5D4. The 5D4 is also now in one of the top 3 slots for me at this point.

Sep 20, 2017 at 05:35 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

hotdog12 wrote:
I use two 5D IV professionally as an editorial photographer. I have no idea why people are selling almost new bodies, but it might be a real good idea to grab one!

Me too.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:35 PM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Something wrong with the 5D mark IV?

the "silent" shutter isn't as quiet as on the 5D3. that's the best I got on the worst thing about 5D4.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.