FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

If one doesn't like the reviews on a certain site, one wonders why they continue to read their reviews.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:00 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

DPReview reviews do have a lot of detailed information and sample images, which makes them useful. I do agree, however, that there is a subtle but obvious bias against Canon, while Nikon apparently can do no wrong.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:17 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Imagemaster wrote:
If one doesn't like the reviews on a certain site, one wonders why they continue to read their reviews.

I think there's more to it than that in this age of consuming online media. Ideally one role we could play is arbiters of content. Currently, however, we're fairly impotent. Although the community does roast the Matt Ballards, Ken Wheelers and Tony Northrups - icons of weirdness and spreaders of falsehoods that they are. The arena in which we call out BS and critique bent (corrupt) reviewers should be our playground.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:36 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Was at canon this weekend had a play with a 200D

Very impressed with the build quality and ergonomics, more so than I expected.

Looked an awesome device might try get one for a few weeks to have a spin with.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Choderboy

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Review seems OK to me.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:10 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Reviews are like the news: you're better off with a "biased" newspaper that adheres to publication standards than you are with a newspaper you agree with that does not.

In general DPReview's observations match my own experience, and I find their little app for comparing performance at different ISOs to be very useful.

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:20 PM
technic
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

markshelby wrote:
Reviews are like the news: you're better off with a "biased" newspaper that adheres to publication standards than you are with a newspaper you agree with that does not.

In general DPReview's observations match my own experience, and I find their little app for comparing performance at different ISOs to be very useful.

Agree, they provide a lot of 'standardized' data that you can use to compare with other products and form your own opinion. As to the opinions of DPR staff, there are a few who I almost always agree with and there are some who I usually don't agree with at all; after some time you start to recognize the bias of the writers and can take that into account. Everyone has different priorities and of course the same goes for DPR staff.

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:52 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

PicGuy wrote:
I read the review and came away feeling like they made the staff draw straws to determine who reviewed the SL2 because doing it was like being sent to the dentist for a root canal. I don't think it was a bad or good review but one they just wanted off their to-do list.

DPR simply does not review cameras if they don't want to, so I don't think that is the case. There are some very high profile cameras they never bothered to review, such as the Canon 1DX, Nikon D4, and Nikon D4S. Then you will see them review things like the P&S/Smartphone combo that nobody ever bought, and you can see that they just do what they want with no rhyme or reason haha.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:47 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password