FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-sl2-eos-200d-review

They just don''t like to give Canon credit for anything.

I think my 200D is great, I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it a lot

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:25 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

I read the review and it sounds overwhelmingly positive. Didn't find any snarky parts.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:34 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

alundeb wrote:
I read the review and it sounds overwhelmingly positive. Didn't find any snarky parts.

They damn it with faint praise like they do with all Canon gear, saying it's basically ok but there is always something available that is better. It's not what they say it's how they phrase it.

It's so clear they just don't like Canon, which is a legitimate point of view, just a bit too biased for my taste

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:36 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

dhphoto wrote:
, saying it's basically ok but there is always something available that is better.

If there really is something better out there, that is exactly what I want to know in a review.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:42 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

dhphoto wrote:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-sl2-eos-200d-review

They just don''t like to give Canon credit for anything.

I think my 200D is great, I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it a lot

Like I wrote in another thread. When Askey was selling DPReview to Amazon, they surely put this line into contract: "Owner must bash Canon whenever possible because they didn't tell me about 1D3 and didn't invite me to the event."

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:45 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

alundeb wrote:
If there really is something better out there, that is exactly what I want to know in a review.

Even if it isn't true?

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:03 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

dhphoto wrote:
Even if it isn't true?

Well, if you are saying that DPReview lie about Canon's competition, that's something entirely different.

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:08 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

alundeb wrote:
Well, if you are saying that DPReview lie about Canon's competition, that's something entirely different.

I'm saying they boost alternative makes, particularly Sony and Nikon wherever possible.

'Lying' is not what I said, but they frequently give opinions that don't bear close scrutiny

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:19 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

They may be pro-Sony / Nikon. Sony and Nikon has put out a few outstanding cameras lately, according to many reports and user experience here on FM.

But that DPR are particularly against Canon doesn't stand scrutiny either.

Examples of conclusions for different brands:

Olympus (OM-D E-M10 III)
"The E-M10 III is an attractive camera that does a good job of making its range of capabilities accessible. It's flexible and enjoyable and relatively easy to shoot good 4K video with. Its unreliable focus tracking and modest resolution take a little gloss off a camera that gives plenty of room to grow into."

Nikon: (D5600)
"The D5600 is a capable DSLR with an added always-connected system for communicating with smart devices. It does many things well but what should be the cool features aren't as polished as the underlying camera."

Pentax: (K70)
"While not as refined as the competition, the K-70 doesn't feel crude or cheap as its predecessors. In fact, it offers the most controls and features of the competition, at a considerably lower price. For the cash-strapped enthusiast that wants complete control, there is no better value for money in the segment, and there are few flaws to make the buyer feel like they 'cheaped out'."

Canon: (SL2)
"The Canon EOS Rebel SL2 is an entry-level digital SLR that packs a lot of Canon's latest tech into a compact, portable body. It has solid image quality, an easy-to-use interface and good wireless connectivity. It has a mix of old and new autofocus technology, with the latter (Dual Pixel) being responsive and accurate. The SL2 is not well-suited for fast action, as it cannot keep up with moving subjects. Overall, the SL2 is not best-in-class, but you can rely on it to get the job in most situations."

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:40 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

You have lots of free time!

Maybe you are right. Anyway off out on location now.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

dhphoto wrote:
You have lots of free time!

Maybe you are right. Anyway off out on location now.

Have a nice photography day, David!

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:04 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

alundeb wrote:
Overall, the SL2 is not best-in-class, but you can rely on it to get the job in most situations."

I think that is the sort of phrase where they do come unstuck - 'best in class for what'?
If your priority is a camera that feels good in the hand, with an excellently designed interface that enables you to get the images you want then is that more important than (for example) squeezing the last drop of DR?

Every (and I mean every) camera has compromises and saying something is 'best in class' makes the assumption you know what compromises are worth making .

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:10 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Mikehit wrote:
I think that is the sort of phrase where they do come unstuck - 'best in class for what'?
If your priority is a camera that feels good in the hand, with an excellently designed interface that enables you to get the images you want then is that more important than (for example) squeezing the last drop of DR?

Every (and I mean every) camera has compromises and saying something is 'best in class' makes the assumption you know what compromises are worth making .

One needs to read the whole review, or at least the whole conclusion. It is particularly AF tracking. Ironically, an aspect where somebody else said in another thread that there are no significant differences, and nobody talks about it, when the AF was at Canon's advantage

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Oh, I understand what the article was getting at and AF tracking my not be best in class, but can you then say the camera as a whole is not best in class? For a seasoned photographer wanting a small back-up or a newbie wanting facebook connectivity for whom the assisted functions may be really helpful?
If you can rely on it to get the job done in most situations, is that not what you want a camera to do?

I guess this is an issue for not just DPR.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:27 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Yeah, it as an issue with all kinds of reviews. People want short conclusions and rankings. But when the ranking does not favour "Our" brand, we feel disappointed. Reviews would be more useful without final scores and conclusions. I do like DPR's "good for" and "not so good for" part though.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:32 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

I gave up Dpreview's review over a year now. When I compare my actual use of the product against their review, I found that they are even more amateur than me

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:21 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

I haven't read a DPR review for a long time. Don't know why anybody reads their reviews in the first place. A little too one-sided if you know what I mean.

Just sayin.....

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM
PicGuy
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

I read the review and came away feeling like they made the staff draw straws to determine who reviewed the SL2 because doing it was like being sent to the dentist for a root canal. I don't think it was a bad or good review but one they just wanted off their to-do list.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:48 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

PicGuy wrote:
I read the review and came away feeling like they made the staff draw straws to determine who reviewed the SL2 because doing it was like being sent to the dentist for a root canal. I don't think it was a bad or good review but one they just wanted off their to-do list.

Yes, as if somehow done through gritted teeth.
I just can't imagine a Nikon review reading like this one

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:25 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dpreview SL2/200D Review -Snarky as usual

Well, I just read the review and to me it did not seem unfair to the camera at all. Actually there was more positive than negative. They did repeatedly hit the 9 point AF in the viewfinder but that is something that was not upgraded. They are supposed to mention when a new camera doesn't improve, that is part of reviewing. And in fairness they also say in live view with DPAF it is batter than most. Other things they find are all true to the camera. It is an entry level camera without 4K video which all reviewers are going to harp on. I own the SL1 and love it. The only thing I don't like about the SL1 is the AF in the viewfinder (which is all I use). This review clearly points out that the AF was not upgraded in the viewfinder so I will not be upgrading. So for me it was an honest review that I did not think was negative even though it will end up making me not upgrade.

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:13 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password