New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Subway Riders

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Subway Riders

Shot at ISO 3200, so noisy as heck. Does the "grain" add or detract? Noise reduction software was not much help.

Steve

Subway Riders

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:52 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Subway Riders

I generally use Topaz DeNoise 6 on my Oly images to reduce noise:

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:02 AM
KCook0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Subway Riders

I prefer the "filmish" version, with noise.

oldguy

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:19 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Subway Riders

AuntiPode wrote:
I generally use Topaz DeNoise 6 on my Oly images to reduce noise:

Thanks Karen. On your suggestion, quite a while ago, I purchased Topaz Denoise 5, and it was quite helpful. I later tried to upgrade to version 6, but now I'm getting error messages when I try to use the newer version. And when I go back to version 5, it's giving me weird results. So I'll have to investigate because I need the plug in working properly. Like most I hate this technology aspect.

Steve

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:28 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Subway Riders

KCook0 wrote:
I prefer the "filmish" version, with noise.

oldguy

It ages us Kelly...

Steve

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:29 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Subway Riders

I also use Topaz 6. but I have the Topaz suite. I had some issues with Photoshop CC being able to find it. but once I worked those out it works fine. I think I am not a fan of noise or grain as we called it in the film days. It is just a technical flaw not an asset. Sort of like cars that burn oil.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:58 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Subway Riders

ben egbert wrote:
I also use Topaz 6. but I have the Topaz suite. I had some issues with Photoshop CC being able to find it. but once I worked those out it works fine. I think I am not a fan of noise or grain as we called it in the film days. It is just a technical flaw not an asset. Sort of like cars that burn oil.

Hey Ben, and I like your analogy.

I have to "lift up the hood" and get my Topaz Denoise 6 working.

Steve

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Subway Riders

FWIW, I like the grainy version too. Makes it more "street-like", whatever that means -- .

It looks almost like the girl on the left is not looking quite at the device....does she suspect?
keith

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:51 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Subway Riders

beanpkk wrote:
FWIW, I like the grainy version too. Makes it more "street-like", whatever that means -- .

It looks almost like the girl on the left is not looking quite at the device....does she suspect?
keith

Hey Keith, I took this during the same subway trip that I took the balloon photo. As you could see from that, the subway car was packed. My Olympus Pen F has a touch feature where you can set it to press your finger on the rear LCD screen and it takes the photo. From what I could tell, neither woman realized that I was photographing them.

Appreciate your thoughts about the "grain".

Steve

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:22 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Subway Riders

Some years ago, like Ben, I too bought the suite from Topaz. The suite allows free upgrades, and the upgrade to DeNoise 6 was probably the best upgrade of the set.

Sorry to read it's giving you a hard time. I quite agree, technically balking software is very aggravating and fixing it makes me want to tear out hair and ionize the surrounding air with shocking language.

Many years ago I went through a phase with chemical photography where I over-did the grainy film look. I used very fast film, vigorous developers and substantial enlargement to really pixelate images. It was something I had to get out of my system. I got better.

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:15 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Subway Riders

AuntiPode wrote:
Some years ago, like Ben, I too bought the suite from Topaz. The suite allows free upgrades, and the upgrade to DeNoise 6 was probably the best upgrade of the set.

Sorry to read it's giving you a hard time. I quite agree, technically balking software is very aggravating and fixing it makes me want to tear out hair and ionize the surrounding air with shocking language.

Many years ago I went through a phase with chemical photography where I over-did the grainy film look. I used very fast film, vigorous developers and substantial enlargement to really pixelate images. It was something
...Show more

The old saying Karen, "No Gain Without Pain."
Steve

Sep 20, 2017 at 05:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Subway Riders

Or should it be, "No grain, no pain."

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:31 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Subway Riders

I think I like the OP image. The grain gives it that kinda 70's "The Warriors" vibe, which is obviously very fitting considering the location.

edit: Actually, looking at this again, I think that one chick was in the movie!

Dave

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:29 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Subway Riders

Late to the show, but I prefer the OP, like the bite of the noise, for the genre totally appropriate IMO.

Bob

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:38 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Subway Riders

Bob Jarman wrote:
Late to the show, but I prefer the OP, like the bite of the noise, for the genre totally appropriate IMO.

Bob

Thanks so much for your feedback Bob!

Steve

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.