New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Accessories

Twigglius

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Accessories

I'm a bit new to the photography rabbit hole. My question is this. Is there really that much difference between a $12 thumb grip and a $60 option? Or a $25 vertical grip vs $120 grip?

Seems like an awfully stupid question in my head, because it's just a piece of metal.

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Accessories

In my experience, the answer is, sometimes. I've had a handful of generic photo products that just didn't cut it. But the vast majority worked just fine instead of the more expensive option.

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Accessories

+1

I usually stick to OEM accessories for key components (like the tripod mount ring for a heavy-ish lens), but I have many satisfactory generic accessories (and a few disasters). In some cases, it even makes sense to buy a generic accessory to try out some gizmo, and later replace it with an OEM or high-end third-party brand (e.g. RRS, B+W, Leitax, ...), if the gizmo turns out to be a real keeper.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:31 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Accessories

Also stick to OEM for batteries and chargers and the like. Too much risk to be worth-while saving a few dollars/euros/whatever.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Twigglius

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Accessories

I've been doing some more research. Am I wrong thinking that a handgrip an L Bracket and Quick release are basically the same thing?

Holy s*&#t so many choices. Lol.

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Accessories

IMO, a quick release (QR) plate is a general description, which is often (usually) just a flat plate (i.e. a short "rail"), while an L-bracket is a right-angle gizmo with two plates; generally, one for landscape/horizontal mode (bottom of camera), and another for portrait/vertical orientation (side of camera). QR plates and L_brackets made for particular cameras should have a rim or sculpted form that prevents rotation of the plate while on the camera. Generic plates are often only flat; some have rubber grippy spots to help prevent rotation, while others are simply flat metal, and can rotate (and loosen), so be mindful.

A handgrip provides an improved grip for the right-hand fingers (and sometimes, thumb), usually for cameras that have a very small or no grip. A handgrip is sometimes integrated with a QR plate or L-bracket, but often not.

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Twigglius

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Accessories

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password