Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

ADONikon
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

Thinking now that I have xqd in the 850 I might go to one card and upgrade my D5 to XQD. It would be worth the money to me to have the speed and have it all the same card. Wondering if anyone has done it and if they have to replace the rubber grips when they do it?

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:41 PM
la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

I was told that Looking Glass Camera in Berkeley states Nikon will do it for about $150. They probably don't have to replace the grips. There's a screw that holds in the card module. It could be as simple as unscrew, remove ribbon cable, attach new XQD module, screw in and done. Again, this is a guess from looking at the XQD module.

You should get all of the speed with XQD as the electronics are the same, the slower CF card is the bottle neck on that version of the D5.

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:44 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

Shortly after the D5 was released, Nikon said it costs $350 + tax & shipping for the swap. Shouldn't have to replace any grips but you probably get a 'general check & clean' with the service. Whether that price has changed or not in the last year I do not know.

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:57 PM
marc2307
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

I had my D5 CF module changed to XQD recently here in Switzerland upon recent delivery of the NEXTO 2801 portable HDD with 1TB SSD:
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/nextodi-nvs2801-review/
which accepts SD, SSD, C Fast, and CF & XQD (via reader), granting very fast transfer speeds, as I hated dragging my heavy Mac retina with me.

Nikon CH charged me CHF280 (US$295) for the privelige, I'm an African wildlife photographer and once I take delivery of my D850, will give me XQD continuity now with my D5 and D500. No rubber grips were touched and as la puffin guessed it was a simple unscrew module replacement, and were given back the CF module.
Having said that, I never found my D5 CF "bottle necked", you still get close to a buffer of 90 using 14 bit lossless RAW, which really was plenty, even for wildlife.

.......like a lot of us, still waiting on that D850 delivery, have been told "soon".

Cheers
Marc

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:29 PM
ADONikon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Now if I could only find some more Lexar XQD cards!

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:16 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

ADONikon wrote:
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Now if I could only find some more Lexar XQD cards!

I would not hold my breath.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:31 PM
ADONikon
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

Seriously, I'm not going to do the conversion til I have the cards in hand.

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:09 AM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone done the D5 card slot exchange?

ADONikon wrote:
Seriously, I'm not going to do the conversion til I have the cards in hand.

I've used Lexar XQD's all along, but since they've been hard to come by I've purchased three Sony "G" cards and they perform the same as the Lexars. YMMV.

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:36 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.